PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Co-Op Workterm Sept - Dec 2007

krisopotamus
03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Hey guys/girls, was just wondering if any of you know good companies located in Calgary that hire co-op students for 4 month workterms starting in September? I am not talking about the big names (CNRL, Husky, Shell, Petro-Canada, Encana, etc.). I am looking for smaller companies (ie. ones that do not list jobs through the U of R co-op office).

I am in Industrial Systems Engineering at the U of R (done 5 semesters of academic, willl be 6 when I go on my next workterm). I have been working in oil and gas but am not set on staying there, my degree is basically the same as mechanical (just a spin off of it), so I can do lots of different things with it.

I will have 2 workterms under my belt with CNRL. Last summer I was a relief plant operator and right now I am an exploitation engineer. I am sort of thinking that I want experience with other companies too so that I am not limited to CNRL when I am done school.

I have 2 solid references from 2 jobs, and will have 3 after this workterm unless I really screw something up in the near future lol.

So if anyone has heard of good companies to work for, throw the name down here and I will look into them. Yes I know I could google but figured the local people on here would be better help.

Thanks!

~Leah~
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Is there a reason why you don't want the big names?

DUBBED
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Is there a reason why you don't want the big names?

Big names will tend to give you less personal attention. You would learn more about the "big picture" in a smaller firm where they take the time to tell you about what you're involved in, versus handing you simple tasks.

I have no suggestions though. Sorry.

Crymson
03-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I would say the opposite is more true. Of the people who i know working for the "big names", they're generally doing work that involves more responsiblity and project ownership, than similiar friends at smaller shops.

~Leah~
03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Kris, I have quite a few friends in U of R Engineering that have come here for their workterms... you probably know most of them I would guess. I know the majority of them worked for Husky or Shell but I also know a few worked for smaller places.

Euro_Trash
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
I would say the opposite is more true. Of the people who i know working for the "big names", they're generally doing work that involves more responsiblity and project ownership, than similiar friends at smaller shops. :werd: Work for the big companies while you are still in school. You will see more projects and get a broader understanding of the industry

krisopotamus
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Smaller companies treat employees better(benefits, vacation, etc.) and they are way more flexible (everything is standardized in big companies).

I am thinking long term, I would like to get some experience with a solid smaller company to work for when I'm done school. They are alot better when you are done because it is alot easier to move up the food chain as the company grows, in big companies you wait for retirements to happen before you can do that.

Right now, working for a "bigass company", I am doing work that anybody could do. Sure I get lots of projects, but for the most part they don't require any advanced thinking. I don't really feel challenged and I havn't learned a whole lot more about O&G than I already knew (of course I learned some, but it is also specific to the area I am working in...I have only really learned about horizontal heavy oil wells). I want a broader picture.

krisopotamus
03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Kris, I have quite a few friends in U of R Engineering that have come here for their workterms... you probably know most of them I would guess. I know the majority of them worked for Husky or Shell but I also know a few worked for smaller places.

Yeah, those and CNRL are the big ones where lots of people go. Shell hasn't posted much in the times i've applied for workterms.

I was hoping to find companies aside from the ones that regularily recruit at our schools. Those positions are usually recruited for and they have co-op students coming and going. For instance...my first project here was finishing the project the guy before me started...so i got to spend hours looking over what he did and minutes finishing it....