PDA

View Full Version : Acura's SH-AWD Technology

treg50
03-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Apparently, in the engineering/performance crowd Acura's current SH-AWD (Super Handling All-Wheel Drive) system is getting pretty good reviews vs. the competition.

Topspeed.com - http://www.topspeed.com/cars/automotive-glossary/super-handling-all-wheel-drive-system-ar16052.html

"The SH-AWD (Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive) system is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. The result is precise cornering performance that provides incredibly neutral steering and outstanding vehicle stability."

Canadiandriver.com - http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/acura_awd.htm

"To demonstrate the SH-AWD system, Acura brought journalists to the snow and ice-covered Mecaglisse driving centre near Notre-dame-de-la-merci, about 90-minutes north of Montreal. Competitive vehicles from Lexus, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz were available for comparison, but the spotlight was on the Acura RDX and MDX sport utility vehicles, and the luxury RL sedan, which all come standard with "SH-AWD" (the RDX and MDX feature the latest version).

All of the competitive vehicles performed acceptably well on the purpose-designed tracks, and better than a comparable front or rear-wheel drive vehicle would (except for the Lexus GS 300, which did not flatter itself on the circular ice track). However, the Acura vehicles were distinguished by the smoothness of their operation, and their ability to maintain steering response in several situations where the competition had lost control."

Xtrema
03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Go test drive RDX. It's awesome and it's a 4000lb SUV.

Just waiting for SHAWD to get on lighter sedans like TL and TSX.

H4LFY2nR
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
^werd
Acura needs a car in the luxury sports class. Something like a TSX with the RL drivetrain that could compete against the RS4, M3, etc.

GTS Jeff
03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
"The SH-AWD (Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive) system is the first and only all-wheel-drive platform that distributes the optimum amount of torque not only between the front and rear wheels but also between the left and right rear wheels. The result is precise cornering performance that provides incredibly neutral steering and outstanding vehicle stability."

Umm any AWD car with a rear LSD can do that too.

Super_Geo
03-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't like how SHAWD shoots a hook out of the side of the car that attaches to buildings/walls. It seems like it would be dangerous to use in heavily populated areas.

rage2
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Umm any AWD car with a rear LSD can do that too.
Topspeed.com got owned by Honda Marketing. Honda's world first claim is that they're doing it without a center diff, but it's worded to sound like they're the first in the world to achieve this.

The SH-AWD system is a single diff like unit in the rear that can distribute torque 3 ways... left wheel, right wheel, and front. There's no front LSD, so there's no left/right split up front. This does exactly the same thing as the EVO's Active Yaw control, except mitsubishi uses a center diff.

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/features/ayc.asp

ONS
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I don't like how SHAWD shoots a hook out of the side of the car that attaches to buildings/walls. It seems like it would be dangerous to use in heavily populated areas.

LOL. agreed.

projekz
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
BMW's X-Drive system is even better...plus they came out with it in 2004. I'd like to see a comparison drive between an 07 X5 and the new MDX

gpomp
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by projekz
BMW's X-Drive system is even better...plus they came out with it in 2004. I'd like to see a comparison drive between an 07 X5 and the new MDX xdrive can only go front and rear, how is that better?

rage2
03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
xdrive can only go front and rear, how is that better?
Because to BMW fanboys, BMW > *, even if all their cars look like ass nowadays.

three.eighteen.
03-29-2007, 10:34 PM
what do you guys know...all the bmw drivers are smarter than everyone else...i mean come on, they drive bmws

TeamBestBud
03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

I agree.

Russo
03-29-2007, 10:45 PM
ya i like SH AWD alot, and even more the new RDX

and also 07 MDX very good car