PDA

View Full Version : 2000 celica gt opinions?

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 09:12 AM
What are your guys opinion on the 2000 celica GT? Owners or not lets hear some thoughts. Thanks.

nj2Type-S
03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
get a GT-S instead! :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Here's my non-owner opinion:

Pros:
Looks good
You'll never have a problem with it
Good resale
Good on gas
It's a Toyota

Cons:
FWD
Underpowered
no Torque
Not very practical/spacious

3g4me
03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Get a GT-S as stated before.

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 09:19 AM
If i were to get a celica it would probably be a gt becuase of the price differnce...

clem24
03-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Not an owner, but the gear ratios in the GT-S are completely WRONG. If you tried to wring out every gear, the power band actually drops below the sweet spot and you gotta wait. For everyday driving, I believe the GT is a better choice.

I believe the early GTs (2000) lacked cruise, sunroof/leather (GT-S option), and leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob. Otherwise option package was the same. Later GT's (2001+) had sunroof as option and cruise I think. So if those options are important, then find a GT-S. And of course the 2ZZG instead of 1ZZF and the 6 speed. But again, the 6 speed is so messed up that there really isn't any advantage to it.

Price differential is about $3k for the least priced GT-S. Good examples are still getting high teens and low 20s. I've seen some GT's go for a little over $10k.

However, if it were up to me, I'd get an ST204 (1994 - 1999). Now THOSE are sweet cars. :thumbsup: Drive one and you won't look back. But good luck trying to find a low mileage example.

rc2002
03-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Latest gen celica is garbage, both GT and GT-S. Super narrow powerband, slow as hell, total chick car.

I'm with clem, go with the previous generation if you're going to buy a Celica.

JRSC00LUDE
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Ya, all I remember about the celica from test-driving it before getting an rsx was that there wasn't anything we liked about it at all (from the fun-to-drive or not point of view). Completely underwhelmed.

clem24
03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Well, I wouldn't say they're totally slow. The 2000 GT-S can probably outrun the ST204, but *only* if you rev the snot out of it, which is probably not something that you'd do all the time. So great track car, but might not be great for everyday driving. The ST204 had lots of things going for it: awesome handling, light weight, and good amounts of torque!

On another note, the ST204 is such a different car from the previous gen (ST184). I had an ST184 for a bit. I expected at least to be sort of like the ST204, but man, it wasn't even CLOSE. The ST184 feels like you're driving a Camry.

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
How would a 2000 celica gt compare with a 2000 sir in the terms of speed handeling, fun factor etc.

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
How would a 2000 celica gt compare with a 2000 sir in the terms of speed handeling, fun factor etc.

Your going to have to drive the piss off of either one to get average performance. They don't have much torque.

QuasarCav
03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Your going to have to drive the piss off of either one to get average performance. They don't have much torque.

You are always ranting about torque but you have to understand that some people have differing opinions of what is fun to drive. I dont own a TT S4 and probably never will because it's not my cup of tea. If I did I would not post up in every car buying thread that the car they are looking at sucks because it lacks the torque that an FI engine has.

You should come for a ride one day in my torqueless wonder. Sometimes it's nice to have your power peak @ 7000+ RPM, it's not for everyone but it certainly puts a smile on my face.

calgarygts
03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Well, I wouldn't say they're totally slow. The 2000 GT-S can probably outrun the ST204, but *only* if you rev the snot out of it, which is probably not something that you'd do all the time. So great track car, but might not be great for everyday driving. The ST204 had lots of things going for it: awesome handling, light weight, and good amounts of torque!

On another note, the ST204 is such a different car from the previous gen (ST184). I had an ST184 for a bit. I expected at least to be sort of like the ST204, but man, it wasn't even CLOSE. The ST184 feels like you're driving a Camry.

The ST204 and seventh gen GT-S aren't all that close for performance. 5S-FE with 135hp vs. 2ZZ-GE with 180hp....and they're both almost the exact same weight. Less than 10 more ft/lbs torque for the ST204, although it does come a lot sooner than the 2000+. You can stay in the power band with the 2000/2001 6 speed if you have a normal person's dexterity. Revving the piss out of it is half the fun.
I've owned the fourth gen, fifth gen, sixth gen and seventh gen celica and my favorite has been the latest variant. Most fun to drive, best handling, with an intake and trd exhaust the best sounding and IMO the best looking. They've all been the GTS model (as well as a 90 alltrac) and the 2000 GTS was my favorite.
Sorry I can't really give you any info on the GT, never driven one.

DoubleLP
03-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a 2003 Matrix XRS which has the same 2ZZ-GE as the 7th Gen Celica GT-S, and I love driving it. Yes there is not as much tourque as one would like, but it sure is fun to hit lift at 6200 RPM and watch the look on peoples faces as you pass them in a wagon in lift. :)

As with calgarygts, I have never driven a car with the 1ZZ-GE. The 2ZZ does have limitations though. If you are looking to boost the engine, it can be done but it costs a lot of money and you do not get the "bang for the buck" that you would expect from a boosted engine. However, the 1ZZ that is in the GT has lots of options for boosting and you get a much better gain with the 1ZZ then the 2ZZ.

It is really on what you want to do with the car. If you want a good daily driver that puts a good smile on your face, then look for the GT-S with the 2ZZ. If you want to boost in the future and have more play with the engine, look for the GT with the 1ZZ. And of course...stay away from the automatics. :)

4doorj
03-20-2007, 10:38 AM
they arent the fastest but they look sweet, good gas mileage, reliable.... i like them

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Ic never owned a toyota. Are they good with high km just like the hondas?

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

You are always ranting about torque but you have to understand that some people have differing opinions of what is fun to drive. I dont own a TT S4 and probably never will because it's not my cup of tea. If I did I would not post up in every car buying thread that the car they are looking at sucks because it lacks the torque that an FI engine has.

You should come for a ride one day in my torqueless wonder. Sometimes it's nice to have your power peak @ 7000+ RPM, it's not for everyone but it certainly puts a smile on my face.

Not once did I say the car "sucked", I'm not trying to bash anyone else's car or anything of the sort. It's also no secret what you have to do to get power out of a small N/A 4 cyl. I clearly stated my comments were nothing more than my personal opinion or from my personal experience. I fully understand that everyone is going to have a different opinion, and I am simply offering mine. It should not be taken as anything more than that. I've been in many cars that you would probably describe as "torqueless wonders" and it is not my cup of tea either (sounds good though). If you prefer your power to peak at 7000RPM then of course that is what sort of car you will own as that is what you prefer. I do comment on torque a lot because I feel it is very important, and perhaps whoever I am replying to never thought of HOW the power is delivered when considering a new vehicle and their driving style. Most people just look at HP numbers and whatnot. If you tell most people a car has 500hp/100 torque they will be way more impressed then if you said 300hp/600 tq. After all, HP is just a function of torque. It is nothing more than my opinion and I am not trying to represent it as fact. A small 4cyl engine generally doesn't have much power as it is, so if you need to be at 7000 RPM to make what little power it has, perhaps that isn't for everyone. What I drive is irrelivant. I don't use my car as a gauge as to what good torque is when I reply to people. There are cars with 4X the torque my car makes and I've driven cars that make my car feel slow. For my personal driving style, especially for city driving, I like to be able to put my foot down in any gear and go with minimal effort rather than shifting down a couple of times. That doesn't mean it is the ideal, but only my opinion.

calgarygts
03-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Not once did I say the car "sucked", I'm not trying to bash anyone else's car or anything of the sort. It's also no secret what you have to do to get power out of a small N/A 4 cyl. I clearly stated my comments were nothing more than my personal opinion or from my personal experience. I fully understand that everyone is going to have a different opinion, and I am simply offering mine. It should not be taken as anything more than that. I've been in many cars that you would probably describe as "torqueless wonders" and it is not my cup of tea either (sounds good though). If you prefer your power to peak at 7000RPM then of course that is what sort of car you will own as that is what you prefer. I do comment on torque a lot because I feel it is very important, and perhaps whoever I am replying to never thought of HOW the power is delivered when considering a new vehicle and their driving style. Most people just look at HP numbers and whatnot. If you tell most people a car has 500hp/100 torque they will be way more impressed then if you said 300hp/600 tq. After all, HP is just a function of torque. It is nothing more than my opinion and I am not trying to represent it as fact. A small 4cyl engine generally doesn't have much power as it is, so if you need to be at 7000 RPM to make what little power it has, perhaps that isn't for everyone. What I drive is irrelivant. I don't use my car as a gauge as to what good torque is when I reply to people. There are cars with 4X the torque my car makes and I've driven cars that make my car feel slow. For my personal driving style, especially for city driving, I like to be able to put my foot down in any gear and go with minimal effort rather than shifting down a couple of times. That doesn't mean it is the ideal, but only my opinion.

holy defensive batman!

I don't know a lot about mileage/reliability on these engines. The 5S-FE in the earlier years (90-99) will run a loooong time. I'd definitely get a compression check done if you're looking at higher miles....better safe than sorry.

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts

holy defensive batman!

I don't know a lot about mileage/reliability on these engines. The 5S-FE in the earlier years (90-99) will run a loooong time. I'd definitely get a compression check done if you're looking at higher miles....better safe than sorry.

If I'm being accused of something I didn't do, I try to explain myself as best I can to avoid future happenings. Its very possible that the misunderstanding is my fault as well so I need to clarify and perhaps it will be avoided in the future :) Sometimes what I'm thinking isnt represented very well in my writing, and sometimes my message isn't always as obvious as I think it is.

heavyD
03-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Latest gen celica is garbage, both GT and GT-S. Super narrow powerband, slow as hell, total chick car.

I'm with clem, go with the previous generation if you're going to buy a Celica.

They haven't made a Celica worth owning since the early 90's Alltrac's and even they were pretty heavy cars.

If your looking for a sporty looking, fairly reliable (6-speed transmissions are problematic on the GTS's) hatchback that is decent on gas the Celica is a decent purchase. Just don't expect a fast car or typical Toyota reliability.

RSX is a better choice IMO.

nj2Type-S
03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
yeah definitely get an rsx over a celica...but make sure it's a type-s...otherwise, don't get an rsx at all, hehe.

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah i use to have a 2004 type s. loved it. But i guess im looking for something in the cheeper end of things. Thanks for all the feed back, think i got what im looking for.

nj2Type-S
03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
i don't know how much srt-4s go for nowadays but i seriously considered trading my car in for one of those...

what car have you decided on?

teggypimp95
03-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Havent decided on anything yet, im still looking. My max is 11,500. I could get a higher km celica gt for that but im keeping my eyes open.

calgarygts
03-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I was looking at the same as you for the last while, but I've decided that if I'm going cheap I'm going cheap all the way! I'm going to spend 5k instead of 10-12. I won't be completely happy with the car at 10-12k anyways, so I'm just going to go lower and wait until I can get something I really want.
Food for thought.

kvanderlaag
03-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Again in response to this question, I have one answer:

Space ship. Woosh, zoom, pew pew! I can't shake him! Use the force!

ACURA dreamin
03-20-2007, 01:42 PM
If you are looking at Celica's the only way I would go is Alltrac.
Super fun to drive, and with a little tweaking they can get pretty quick. plus the all wheel drive is awesome.
My celica has been awesome to me and I dont think I could ever sell my 'trac now

st165/st185/st205=FTW!

clem24
03-20-2007, 02:37 PM
To replace my ST184, I looked at a silver ST204 at Heninger about 2 years ago going for $15k. It was supposed to be mint, low kms (like 89k or something). But a few things really said it didn't look right: side bolster had TONS of wear for such a low mileage car, it was obviously repainted, and when they started it up the next day, it blew smoke for at least 2 mins. Yikes. I ran.

Tested an '90 All-Trac. The car is just too heavy, and didn't feel fast at all. Same engine as my MR2, but difference was night and day (and my MR2 isn't even all that fast).

Then looked at getting a 2000 GT-S. More KMs, but better condition. Guy rejected my offer. So I walked.

So then I got a little more level headed (having 2 useless cars made no sense), and went and got a 2000 Impreza 4 door RS. I am very much a Subie fan now! :love:

ACURA dreamin
03-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Tested an '00 All-Trac. The car is just too heavy, and didn't feel fast at all. Same engine as my MR2, but difference was night and day (and my MR2 isn't even all that fast).

You do mean 1990 right??
yes the car is heavy but it still is a joy to drive. My $0.02

clem24
03-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Woops. Yeah. Corrected. I think it's about 3300lbs. The MR2 is 2800lbs.. And doesn't have to go through 3 diffs. I think that's where the difference lies.

ACURA dreamin
03-20-2007, 10:12 PM
ya the all wheel system does take away a bit of that power, BUT you have power going to all four wheels. So launching and putting it through some corners are super fun.
But anyway I suppose this is getting a bit off topic.
I love the celica I personally havent had a chance to drive the 7th gen but from my personal experiance I love the model, And honestly I am wishing they would rerelease the model.

alloroc
03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
The new GTS is a nice car and it responds well to a 30 shot of nos.