PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Stagger problem for 325 xi ?

vf_1s
03-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi, I have recently bought a 2002 325xi, and I am now considering to get the OEM 18” style 135 wheels (ones that came with the performance package for the 2004 330i). I really like those wheels and I was so happy to find a set for sale. Problem is that the wheels are staggered, and here is the info:

18 X 8” front w/ offset of 47 tire size 225/40/18
18 X 8.5 rear w/ offset of 50 tiresize 255/35/18

Calgary BMW told me that I should not do this because the slightest difference in rolling diameter will cause the transfer case to be on and it will heat up for too long and fail prematurely.

But when I ask BMW gallery, they insisted that these wheels are the factory options (offered as staggered) for the 02 325xi, and that it will not damage the transfer case.

I checked the rolling diameter, and the difference is only 1.5mm in this case. Can someone please help me? Does anyone has experience with this?

Ogpogo
03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
You should be just fine. A lot of peoples winter tires are a slightly larger rolling diameter, and you don't see all of their cars at the side of the road. :)

vf_1s
03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks, but my concern is the rolling diameter difference between the front and back. I know it is ok if the front and back changes in rolling diameter are the same.

benyl
03-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Given that your vintage of X-drive is a locked 35/65 power distribution, you could expect that your tires will wear out 1.5mm as you drive you car. So from that perspective, I wouldn't worry about it. The center diff has some play in it for variations in rolling diameter.

The problem is that you will not be able to rotate your tires front to back. This become an issue as you wear out your tires. The rears will wear out faster due to the torque distribution your version of X-drive has. I have the same problem with my STi, but I don't have a staggered setup, so I just put the fronts on the rear every 3 months to keep everything even.

I think that I have the wheels you want to buy. It will look really dumb on your car if it isn't lowered. The ZHP has the sport suspension II which is even lower than the optional sport suspension on the 330. And even 330 isn't low enough for the 18s that it came with. The Xi will look like a monster truck with the stock ride height.

Ogpogo
03-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by vf_1s
Thanks, but my concern is the rolling diameter difference between the front and back. I know it is ok if the front and back changes in rolling diameter are the same.

My apoligies, I misread. However, I still think it would not be an issue over 1.5mm's, as even uneven tire wear can bear larger mis-matches.

vf_1s
03-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, that is another problem that I was worry about. The XI does have quite a gap in the wheel well, and I am afraid that is will look like a monster truck...

You mentioned that you have the wheels I am looking for, is that because you have the 330? or do you just have them on another car? Do you have any pics?

I am actually willing to sacfice the tire wear as long as it doesn't damage the car... but if it doesn't even look good in the first place, then I don't know if I should go through all these pain...

these will be my summer tires, as I have another set of winter wheels.

benyl
03-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Just look

<---

330Ci ZHP

vf_1s
03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I just noticed. Stupid me...
Luck you, such a nice car!

vf_1s
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by benyl

But having 65% traction in the back is still better than having 100% traction in the back (which is the case for a RWD). Having said that, does that means my tires will last as long, or longer than it would be for a RWD?

The problem is that you will not be able to rotate your tires front to back. This become an issue as you wear out your tires. The rears will wear out faster due to the torque distribution your version of X-drive has. I have the same problem with my STi, but I don't have a staggered setup, so I just put the fronts on the rear every 3 months to keep everything even.