PDA

View Full Version : Laptop??

s2k_boi
03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new laptop in the next few weeks here. Need some opinions / advise, I will mainly use this for some online courses / surfing the internet / watching dvds/ i will be doing some downloading / gaming but min.

I am leaning towards HP right now. But any inputs would be great.

Also opnions on AMD vs. Centrio dual core for both.

Any one have heard or had issues with MDG as they are including a free xbox 360 :D

Thanks guys!!

FreakinPrince
03-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a HP laptop and its great!!!

MGD i heard in the past has poor customer service and also i heard that parts are really crappy..so i dno't know if its worth it

you can also check out a store called Laptop depot...they give out refurbish laptop and desktop....they got good price ....

HP is great all the way....

just my two cent

Supa Dexta
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm not on board with hp laptops.. I have a desktop, its ok.. but my sister just got one a few months back and it killed two hard drives within a month.. but on the other hand a lot of my buddies have them with no issues yet, but they are fairly new still.... :dunno:

slick2404
03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
I just bought an HP DV2000t
awsome size 14" widescreen core 2 duo, nvida 7200, 2gig ram, dvd/cd-rw, webcam....good price at $900
awsome. way better than those useless sait toshiba laptops...

...had to order from the hp.com site as the canadian site doesnt have the nvida card available

msommers
03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
awsome size 14" widescreen core 2 duo, nvida 7200, 2gig ram, dvd/cd-rw, webcam....good price at $900

...had to order from the hp.com site as the canadian site doesnt have the nvida card available

Same laptop, mine is just a little older withthe core duo and 1 GB ram...and you got it cheaper! Then again I have had this for about 4 months now...surprise surprise:( I can run Oblivion on pretty decent settings which means almost any game can run on the laptop decently.

Only problem I have with this laptop is the battery life, especially when you have it on full bright and using wireless. But at school, I can usually get about ~3.5-very close to 4 hours just using word processing, most dim setting, video card performance at min. and wireless off.

I hear the 12-cell on this laptop kicks ass but I have yet to order one. If you do plan on getting this DV2000t series, stay away from the AMD, performs worse and uses more battery life.

The sound card in the laptop is excellent as well. I have high end headphones and sounds just about as good if not the same as my home stereo when plugged in. Only shitty thing is the jack is on the front which is a pain in the ass I find.

Strongly recommend this laptop still.

Tik-Tok
03-20-2007, 08:05 PM

How'd you get it for such a good price? I keep putting those components in, and get minimum $1010 US$?

CKY
03-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Where did you buy this config?? They only ones I've seen online for the dv200 series were core duo and turion 64 x2's?? I was eyeing on that laptop as well and the only thing holding me back was the processor

Lexxan
03-21-2007, 01:15 AM
HP is crap... but go crazy.

s2k_boi
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
^^ Please elaborate on how its crap ......

Secondly, please let me / everyone know how you got it to $900 as I got over $1000 as well on hp.com

Also any other suggestions to brands / models would be appreciated. More comments on amd vs centrino?

FreakinPrince
03-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
^^ Please elaborate on how its crap ......

Secondly, please let me / everyone know how you got it to $900 as I got over $1000 as well on hp.com

Also any other suggestions to brands / models would be appreciated. More comments on amd vs centrino?

everyone has bad experince with many different brands....how come? you got me..i don't have a clue why

but so far HP laptop is great for me..i got the 17" wide screen with dual card and media centre...i am happy with it...

you can look around...like maybe dell.ca, hp.ca, or even go to london drugs or best buy....look around and hope for the bestt hahah

Isaiah
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Macbook pro. I've had an HP for about a year and nothing but problems.

meilleur24
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
I used to sell Computer for about 4yrs......for Quality Laptops HP.....or Toshiba ....and Apple.....the tend to be a little better in quality....if your willing to spend some money then go with Asus or LG brand names....awesome in my opinion......as for MDG customer service is piss poor as I've heard and also lower quality components......Refurbished is a good way to go...But Laptop Depot.....I would stay away from...as there service is horrible......Computer trends is not bad for Refurbished aswell
....they've been in business longer...with anything just read the fine print for warranties etc......

cosmok
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
I like my HP, it was cheap and it does what I want it to do. The only issue I have with it is the absolutely horrible customer service that HP has, they won't work for you at all. HP uses a lot of CHEAP parts, ie; their DVD and hard drives, crappy viewing range LCD's and garbage video processors. Other than that they use the same things every other manufacture does.

civic_epidemic
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I have a couple of laptops, in terms of overall reliability, I've found that Toshiba is second to none, I installed a working version of Windows 2000 on a laptop that was 6 years old. Sony has actually improved the reliability of theirs quite a bit over the past year, although you will pay a little bit more than normal. I've got an HP right now as it stands, and it works great, but then again having a a desktop replacement HP it works ggreat

Doh
03-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Same laptop, mine is just a little older withthe core duo and 1 GB ram...and you got it cheaper! Then again I have had this for about 4 months now...surprise surprise:( I can run Oblivion on pretty decent settings which means almost any game can run on the laptop decently.

Only problem I have with this laptop is the battery life, especially when you have it on full bright and using wireless. But at school, I can usually get about ~3.5-very close to 4 hours just using word processing, most dim setting, video card performance at min. and wireless off.

I hear the 12-cell on this laptop kicks ass but I have yet to order one. If you do plan on getting this DV2000t series, stay away from the AMD, performs worse and uses more battery life.

The sound card in the laptop is excellent as well. I have high end headphones and sounds just about as good if not the same as my home stereo when plugged in. Only shitty thing is the jack is on the front which is a pain in the ass I find.

Strongly recommend this laptop still.

I have nothing against my AMD Turion prossesor, and the only problem after a year and a half, with the cheap Acer, is the case and speakers.

The case problem is more than likely from a 9 and 12 year old. I wanted a Toshiba, but I could not walk from the price of the Acer at the time.