PDA

View Full Version : question about taxes for used at dealership

Nabzif
03-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I know if i buy privately, there is no taxes. But, what about if i buy used at the dealership, do i still need to pay taxes?

QuasarCav
03-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes, you pay GST.

Yet another reason not to buy from a dealership.

Nabzif
03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks!

rc2002
03-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Used car dealerships are very negotiable on price. I'm sure that they'd be willing to drop the tax on any vehicle if you paid sticker price on it.

That said, used car dealerships are generally pretty shady. I'd stay away from them.

TorqueDog
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Yes, you pay GST.

Yet another reason not to buy from a dealership. Yeah, aside from the fact that they generally recondition their vehicles, and are required by AMVIC legislation to disclose any and all pertinent information on the vehicle with regards to vehicle history (accidents, out of province) etc., while the private seller doesn't owe you jack.

I think it depends on the car you're looking at, and the situation you, as a buyer, are in.

People always have horror stories from dealerships. But buying privately isn't always a pleasant experience either.

Nabzif
03-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Any opinion on used fleet cars?

mvprimate
03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I would not buy any fleet vehicle from the oil sands.

pinoyhero
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Another option people explore is importing which had been documented well by others, unfortunately on this route even if you DIY you'll have to pay the 6%

QuasarCav
03-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Yeah, aside from the fact that they generally recondition their vehicles, and are required by AMVIC legislation to disclose any and all pertinent information on the vehicle with regards to vehicle history (accidents, out of province) etc., while the private seller doesn't owe you jack.

I think it depends on the car you're looking at, and the situation you, as a buyer, are in.

People always have horror stories from dealerships. But buying privately isn't always a pleasant experience either.

So.... Which dealership so you work at?

Nabzif
03-24-2007, 12:00 AM
Okay, similar question, but for auctioned vehicles - any taxes there?

Opinions on auction vehicles?

3G
03-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Nabzif
Okay, similar question, but for auctioned vehicles - any taxes there?

Opinions on auction vehicles?

yes u pay a commisson fee (forget what its called( and gst

TorqueDog
03-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
So.... Which dealership so you work at? I don't. I'm an IT Manager for a technology firm in downtown Calgary.

CalgarySupra
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Used car dealerships are very negotiable on price. I'm sure that they'd be willing to drop the tax on any vehicle if you paid sticker price on it.

That said, used car dealerships are generally pretty shady. I'd stay away from them.

i say just as much as new car dealerships are as shady