PDA

View Full Version : Best method to rescue someone drowning??

yellowsnow
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Last summer my friend almost drowned in the middle of a small lagoon, in the end everything was fine. i swam out there and dragged him back to shore, but it was one of the most labour intensive things i have ever done. i tried to put my arm over his chest, while doing backstrokes, but he kept sinking on me like a dead weight. i also tried supporting his head, while doing the elementary back stroke, but he kept sinking... it's a good thing the shore was only around 50m away... cuz i was completely drained near the end

any lifeguards out there know a better method, in case of another incident (hopefully not)? i'm going to the domincan tomorrow, and i never want to go through that again, but u never know. Let's say there's no floatation device nearby either. there's gotta be an easier method.

teggypimp95
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
I believe u did it right, One arm across there chest and you swim sorta backwards or almost on your side, kicking with your feel and using your other arm to swim.

msommers
03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
I believe u did it right, One arm across there chest and you swim sorta backwards...kicking with your feet and using your other arm to swim.

I'm not a lifeguard but I do believe this is the correct method, and it makes sense why. Using buoyancy to your advantage, lying on your back effectively would make less work for you, and also keeps both of your heads above the water, especially their's as their head would on your chest.

yellowsnow
03-21-2007, 10:40 AM
where should their arm position be? i vaguely recall that one arm should be over his head? and you reach over his chest and grab his armpit?

DonJuan
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
^ what your reffering to is the side stroke, basically you hold the person with your right arm over their chest, and reach infront of you with your left. Your legs in the mean time are doing a scissor kick motion. This is the long distance swiming technique, and requires very little energy. However should the situation arrive again, it is always best to grab some sort of flotation device before simply running into the water, especially if neither of you are strong swimmers. Running into the water is a last resort, always try and use a reaching technique first before jumping in. ie: throwing a life jacket, pole, life preserver on rope, etc.

In addition since you are going to the Dominican Republic, stick to the pool, as swimming in the sea is MUCH different than in a lake or a pool. It's best to just stick to the beach and near shore.

http://library.thinkquest.org/3369/swimming/sidestrk.htm

yellowsnow
03-21-2007, 10:48 AM
yeah i know how to do the side stroke. and this wasn't a beach, it was just a lagoon in the middle of nowhere, so no floatation device.

what i'm referring to is the position of the arms for the drowning person. should it be over his head, or just hanging on the side?

teggypimp95
03-21-2007, 10:56 AM
On the side shoudl be fine, reaching across his chest to the oposite arm pit. Side stroke with sissor kick will work the best and be less draining. Just do your best to try and get the victom to relax and no panic so it makes this easyer for you.

lint
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
wwthd?

DonJuan
03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
wwthd? :D if possible get the victim to float on their back (then its just a matter of towing them in) if thats not possible if I remember correctly your arm goes over their right shoulder (with them on their back) and you hold them by their left armpit; by this method, they don't have to do anything, so they can just lay there and relax as you bring them in. So to answer your question, the victim has his arms to the side trying to float if possible, to make it easier on you.

I'll just say again, swiming in the ocean is MUCH different than what you are used to, big waves come out of no-where and can easily flip you over and you can nail your head on sumthin. Rip tides/currents etc; are not things to be taken lightly, and these resorts rarely have a lifeguard watching the ocean, they usually just keep the red flags up no matter what.