PDA

View Full Version : using a MAC

JordanLotoski
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I have used a PC for as long as i can remember...Id like to learn how to use a mac...Is it tough what are thge major diffs.

Thanks

FreakinPrince
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
there will be limited application installation but i am sure you can get it in mac version...games are and can be limited for mac

Mac are mostly best for use in graphic productions and other stuff as well....

I am assuming quailty of program that are out there in the industry are within the mac range..

Mac can be good for a daily user who just uses email, surfing, and video i guess....

i been in PC for so long....haven't really thought about getting a mac.....

i could be wrong in the above statment but that's just my tw cent if it make any sense

Ekliptix
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
you probably already know this, but you can buy Windows OS to run on the newer Macs.

heavyD
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Nothing to really learn. I switched in 2001 to a Mac and it was pretty seamless. The minimize/maximize tabs are in the left corner compared to windows, Safari works just like internet exporer. That's about all I can think of.

FreakinPrince
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
you probably already know this, but you can buy Windows OS to run on the newer Macs.

yeah forgot about that...you can do that..make a dual boot for both OS

eblend
03-21-2007, 12:35 PM
This probably isn't major but pissed me off enough that I don't want to use a mac OS. i have a mac mini for my car but have it running windows. Anyways, the thing that bugs me the most is expanding a window. In windows, if you double click on the top bar of any window, it maximizes the window, on a mac if you do that, it minimizes the window out of sight! using PCs at work and at home, it is hard as hell to adjust haha, so i just don't bother

RawB8figure
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
you can turn off that minimize feature in system preferences.

szw
03-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I just switched to mac last month and like it a lot better than using windows. I have windows XP installed on my macbook (not dual boot, its run simultaneously within OSX), though I never use windows except to play on some poker sites, but party and full tilt have mac programs now so I'll be deleting windows pretty soon.

HERE (http://lifehacker.com/software/mac/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac-224674.php) is a guide for switching to a mac. On the bottom and in the comments there are more helpful tips as well as links to other tips for new mac users. The things I had trouble with while switching were installing programs and quitting applications because they were quite different from the way you use PC's.

"I am assuming quailty of program that are out there in the industry are within the mac range.." WTF DOES THIS MEAN?

The Cosworth
03-21-2007, 03:10 PM
The hardest things I have found are again the said gaming issues, finding programs to run things I have already created (I had to resort to office for mac) getting used to if you close the window with the red circle that the program is actually still running and how right clicking works

I love how easy it is to install and remove programs, just drag and drop none of this installer and hidden reg keys and that to remove.

7thgenvic
03-21-2007, 03:12 PM
super easy! just don't buy a MACBOOK

slick2404
03-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
....I love how easy it is to install and remove programs, just drag and drop none of this installer and hidden reg keys and that to remove.

:thumbsup: Best part by far for me aswell, and just as easy to delete.

dragonone
03-22-2007, 04:26 AM
what's wrong with a macbook?
i'm thinking of a macbook pro
just waiting for the led-backlit ones to come out

mac_82
03-22-2007, 05:52 AM
I use a Mac at work and a PC at home.

It took me about 10 days to fully adjust to using a Mac, just make sure you edit your system preferences: hot corners, right clicking on the mouse, etc.

heavyD
03-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
what's wrong with a macbook?

Nothing. Just plenty of Apple haters that's all.

RC-Cola
03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Don't forget about the all important one mouse button issue and no scroll wheel.

I use a Mac at work and it's the one thing that bugs me more than anything. And yes I know you can get USB PC mouse to work on a Mac.

kaput
03-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Shaad
03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
I have an intel based mac, love it will never go back to PC. Ive used mac in the graphic industry in the past so switching was easy. you can use any mouse with it, I use a logitech 4 button mouse with scroll wheel etc.. Big thing for me and mac is it just works, on PC I would always curse the damn thing for various crashes, problems, headaches etc.. Im not really into games much either so mac is a good choice.

Best thing is goto a store and play with one, look around on it and also goto the apple website and watch the demos on the OS, widgets, etc..

szw
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
Don't forget about the all important one mouse button issue and no scroll wheel.

I use a Mac at work and it's the one thing that bugs me more than anything. And yes I know you can get USB PC mouse to work on a Mac.

The apple mighty mouse has a left and right click which works same as windows, and the scroll wheel (well scroll 'ball'), which also works as a button. I don't think any macs come with single button mice anymore.

sexualbanana
03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
i use a mac at work and i dont really like it. probably because i grew up doing everything the hard way on pc.

dragonone
03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
just got my macbook pro! gonna max it to 3gbs ram tomorrow
instead of asking my million questions on here, are there any good mac forums (hardware/software) you guys can direct me to?

edit: these 2gb modules are frickin expensive, guess it's total 2 gbs for now

Shoebox//Racer
03-25-2007, 12:04 AM
I've used both for work / school and I can say there is no difference between the two for any graphics design applications. There are a few different programs used for 3d rendering and what not but thats it really.

In terms of gaming, I can't speak for Mac but it seems as though there is alot more selection for PC. Who knows... im sure that will change at some point.

bball2
03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I had to buy a mac since I do a lot of web design, and you can't get safari to work on a pc, it doesn't take a long time to get used to, and everything on a mac is rather intuitive. That being said I don't use anything except my desktop (running XP) except when I need to check something on a mac. Macs are generally more expensive for the same feature set so whatever your decision is, make sure you can get it to do everything you need.

@dragonone, try ehmac - http://www.ehmac.ca/
Canadian mac community, it's pretty active

asifka
03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
there are really some small stuff which bother me with mac.
forexample, if you have couple windows open in winxp you can just click on specific window in tool bar.. you can't do it on mac(or may be i just dunno yet).

online videos(specially ask leo section:D ) dont play It will ask me to install window media player, but i can't fig out how to install it.

besides,my mac is very reliable with tons of options and simplicity.

P.S. anybody wana help me out with above problems?:thumbsup:

kaput
03-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Shaad
03-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Download all the different codex. get windows media player for mac, divx, xvid. etc...You'll be able to play lots of video then

szw
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by asifka
there are really some small stuff which bother me with mac.
forexample, if you have couple windows open in winxp you can just click on specific window in tool bar.. you can't do it on mac(or may be i just dunno yet).

Try Expose and see if you like it. Hit F9 when you have a bunch of windows open. I love expose, use it all the time and set it to my scroll button on my mouse.

asifka
04-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by szw

Try Expose and see if you like it. Hit F9 when you have a bunch of windows open. I love expose, use it all the time and set it to my scroll button on my mouse.

:thumbsup: exactly wat i was looking for.. thanks szw