PDA

View Full Version : New Car thoughts and suggestion for first time buyer

240ssx
03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Well recently i moved out to airdrie and have been comuting to calgary daily to attend work and sait. i am very comfortable in my career and have been driving my 180 for some time now. with the recent move i have come to learn that a reliable car is a privledge and that it helps with stress and being a reliable person as well. i have been told by my parents and family that i should purchase a new car with a warrenty off the lot and finally have a reliable car and have the freshness of one as well. i have a very stable job and am looking for a car new or used in great condition with factory warrenty on it. i am looking in the 30 000 $ range or a lease with about 500$ monthly payments. i have been seriously considering a 07 wrx as they are right in my price range plus every car ive owned has been turbo and im in love with them. i want a sports car and something that goes well. im looking for suggestions on what is a good choice and where i can find these deals as i am new to the new off the lot car shopping .

thanks

Brad

XtremePsionic
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Brand new WRX is $36k + tax, but you can talk them down to around $38k or less after tax. I don't know if that is "around $30000" enough. Alternatively you could buy one from the states, I think it works out to be like $32k-$35k CDN?

I have an 06 WRX, they're good cars, fun to drive, good power, but interior and exterior styling are a little weak. Put some snow tires on it and it's just an awesome winter car :)

If I were you, I would consider getting something a year or two old, still has warranty, but you don't have to pay full price for it.

You're going to get a wide range of opinions on which car you should get. IMO, if you get a good deal on a car you like, then it's all good, there aren't really truly horrible cars out there anyway at around $30k.

Mangina
03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Why not buy something 1 year old with warranty. It will bring alot more "nicer" cars into your price range and you won't take that first initial depreciation hit.

bspot
03-21-2007, 04:42 PM
1 year old Volvo S40 T5 AWD :bigpimp:

Isaiah
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
Why not buy something 1 year old with warranty. It will bring alot more "nicer" cars into your price range and you won't take that first initial depreciation hit.

I'm with him on this one.

ONS
03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Some ideas:

'04 Acura TL
'04 Subaru Legacy GT (if you must have turbo. awd is nice too)

or, if 2 door is okay go for a lightly used G35 sport coupe (the sedans are kinda ugly).

You should be able to get any of these for right around 30k and still with a warranty.

mutsuraboshi
03-21-2007, 05:06 PM
MAZDASPEED 3 best new car deal in town for the moment

A2VR6
03-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi
MAZDASPEED 3 best new car deal in town for the moment

good luck getting one... theres a waiting list from what I hear.

Mar
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Your payments won't be that low, you have to factor in insurance as well. I bought my Civic for under $18000 and I'm paying $350 on the car plus $150 every month for insurance. That's $500. and my was half the price of a WRX.

MikeHL
03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
how about the mazdaspeed 6 ? Same engine as the 3 speed, weighs a bit more since its a sedan, but its got AWD.

A790
03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by MikeHL
how about the mazdaspeed 6 ? Same engine as the 3 speed, weighs a bit more since its a sedan, but its got AWD.

I'd either go with that or with an Audi A4... should be able to get one thats 2 or 3 years old for around 30K.

sdime
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
deffenetly go with a honda

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM
The mazdaspeed 6 isn't really AWD. It's FWD until it has to put power elsewhere. It's an OK car but you can do much better for $30k IMO.

I would buy:

04 Acura TL (as mentioned)
04 G35
04 Maxima
WRX
03ish Audi A4
BMW 330i
01-02BMW 540i
And I forgot to add Subaru Legacy GT

Some of those cars are pretty close to, if not off warranty but you might be happier, I don't know.

Aleks
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Go test drive the 07 WRX, LGT and Mazdaspeed6. You should right away know which car you want.

New WRX in Calgary will run you 37-38 grand off the lot with gst, fees etc. 1 year old you should be able to pick up in the high 20 low 30K range. They are super fun cars to drive.

240ssx
03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
thanks for all the input. im going for around a 500$ a month payment on just a vehicle. insurance is extra and im not concerned with that my rates dropped since i moved to Airdrie quite a bit. i was looking at the wrx and its about 490 a month with a lease. (im doing lease cus its cheaper per month. i know it works out to be more but thats not my concern.)

i was considering an STI as its a awsome car but for an 07 it was 795 a month. too much right now. i wanted a turbo but im thinking if im buying a 30 - 40k$ vehicle i wanna drive it as much as possible. i have a 93 blazer as a winter truck but i wanna of course drive the newer vehicle as much as possible. thats why and sti/wrx and trailblazer ss would be the best for that.

so far my options are:

07/06 WRX
Trailblazer SS
G35 (used)
350Z (used)
RX8
STI (dont know if i wanna go used)
S2000 (used)

another thing im considering is drivability on the highway. i come to and from airdrie daily and i do alot of highway driving in the summer. going to my family's summer resort.

im also selling my 180 as more of a down payment to lower the mothly payments.

thanks

Brad

silver_gs-R
03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
already mentioned but definetely definetely 04 and up TL!!!

amazing cars.

IScarecroW300
03-22-2007, 08:19 PM
You can buy my 05 IS300. lol

aklalani
03-22-2007, 08:51 PM
if your looking for reliability go with a honda

ninspeed
03-22-2007, 08:56 PM
The trailblazer ss is a lot of fun. 385hp, awd, low sleek look and lots of room if you gotta haul friends and stuff (ie Boat if you have one) to the family resort.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 240ssx
thanks for all the input. im going for around a 500$ a month payment on just a vehicle. insurance is extra and im not concerned with that my rates dropped since i moved to Airdrie quite a bit. i was looking at the wrx and its about 490 a month with a lease. (im doing lease cus its cheaper per month. i know it works out to be more but thats not my concern.)

i was considering an STI as its a awsome car but for an 07 it was 795 a month. too much right now. i wanted a turbo but im thinking if im buying a 30 - 40k$ vehicle i wanna drive it as much as possible. i have a 93 blazer as a winter truck but i wanna of course drive the newer vehicle as much as possible. thats why and sti/wrx and trailblazer ss would be the best for that.

so far my options are:

07/06 WRX
Trailblazer SS
G35 (used)
350Z (used)
RX8
STI (dont know if i wanna go used)
S2000 (used)

another thing im considering is drivability on the highway. i come to and from airdrie daily and i do alot of highway driving in the summer. going to my family's summer resort.

im also selling my 180 as more of a down payment to lower the mothly payments.

thanks

Brad

If you somehow decide on a trailblazer, buy a used one. It isn't built nearly to the standards of your other choices and will take massive depreciation hits. I would strongly advise not buying this vehicle new if you really want one. Also your gas bill will be obscene.

240ssx
03-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Well after a good week of looking around and weighing out my options i have found a few things out. I LOVE S2000. i also found that i dont want to spend more then i have too. heres where i need byonds help.

i went a test drove and looked at a 2000 S2000. Private sale. No warrenty. has quite a few nice mods done to it. kit. CF hood. intake exhuast and 18" rims with stocks included. also has tien coils and hid's. the thing that slows me down is it has 160 000km. most highway from airdrie to calgary but i woundering. even tho it is a honda is it worth 17 000 for it?? i dont want to have headachs and i dont want to find out a month or a year later that the head is gone or something small that ends up costing a shit load to fix. does this sounds at all like a good deal or is it someone pasing on their headache? any honda or s2000 guys have any opinions or things i should look for. i drove it ran and started fine. pulled hard and sounded like a car should.

thanks

Brad

Mitsu3000gt
03-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Well after a good week of looking around and weighing out my options i have found a few things out. I LOVE S2000. i also found that i dont want to spend more then i have too. heres where i need byonds help.

i went a test drove and looked at a 2000 S2000. Private sale. No warrenty. has quite a few nice mods done to it. kit. CF hood. intake exhuast and 18" rims with stocks included. also has tien coils and hid's. the thing that slows me down is it has 160 000km. most highway from airdrie to calgary but i woundering. even tho it is a honda is it worth 17 000 for it?? i dont want to have headachs and i dont want to find out a month or a year later that the head is gone or something small that ends up costing a shit load to fix. does this sounds at all like a good deal or is it someone pasing on their headache? any honda or s2000 guys have any opinions or things i should look for. i drove it ran and started fine. pulled hard and sounded like a car should.

thanks

Brad

Why don't you take it for an inspection? I personally wouldn't touch a car with 160K on it, but if there's any car that would have no problems at 160k its something from Honda/Toyota.

Mangina
03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Do not lease if your commuting from Airdrie everyday. You'll end up going way over your mileage limit, and instead of just dropping off your car at the end of the lease, you'll end up with a big fat bill.

Mitsu3000gt
03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Mangina
Do not lease if your commuting from Airdrie everyday. You'll end up going way over your mileage limit, and instead of just dropping off your car at the end of the lease, you'll end up with a big fat bill.

Aren't some leases unlimited mileage? Maybe not on the cars he's looking at though.

jdmXSI
03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Just dont drop the car off at the end of the lease, then you wont have a big fat bill! sell it privatley and keep whatever equity you can get!

Mangina
03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Just dont drop the car off at the end of the lease, then you wont have a big fat bill! sell it privatley and keep whatever equity you can get!

But then you'll have a car with high mileage that is worth less than the buyout. That's called negative equity my friend. (Which is still a big bill, just a different name for it)

E46..sTyLez
03-30-2007, 02:59 PM
buy my 01 330ci ;) $28,500 with 19" rims 109000km every option available! Chip, intake, $1400 exhaust system too!

no warranty though. I haven't needed it either

keroppi
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
My friend is selling his 2003 CLK320 for almost your price range... definitely a very reliable car plus a loooottt of luxury and prestige.

Mangina
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by keroppi
2003 CLK320...very reliable car

:rolleyes:

Sure it is.

240ssx
04-14-2007, 10:55 PM
hmm so many decisions hahaha.

im not sure what route i should take. im asking becuase i have no experiance with newer cars and ways of purchase. this will be my first big purchase.

should i buy a car off the lot? im told no because the depreciation hit and higher costs??

should i buy a used car with warrenty still on it?

buy a 03, 04 or 05 with higher km like the 80 000 mark and be happy with that?

im going for reliability as im on the highway everyday and i dont like high reving cars. i just want to cruise in and out of calgary.

my decision of choices of cars are as follows. any thoughts on the cars and previous experiance is appriciated. *** note. no matter what car and with however long on not of warrenty i will be doing mods. just something i like to do. keeps the car new and new toys are fun to install and experience.

RX8 - GT
G35 - sport pkg 6 SPD
350Z - 6 SPD with brembos
STI - 04 +
05 + MUSTANG GT

Deibs
04-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Not a mustang fan,,,, just too many of them, nothing unique.
RX8's just don't have the power
The 350Z is my choice, absolutly sick looking cars.

If the Trailblazer SS was still a choice I don't think i'd purchase it personally. At best your gonna get 15-16 mpg commuting from Airdrie. That's all my cousin could get when we drove out to Sask. for a wedding last year. Around town he gets 12-13 and it's roughly $75-80 depending on gas prices.

My truck was the only thing that i've bought off the lot new and probably the last, depreciation is insane unless it has limited production like the truck.

Alak
04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
This has been covered. But I say again, dont buy new. Soon as you drive off the lot, you've been ripped off.

Example.

2006 Jeep liberty brand new will run mid 30's to 40k.

I bought mine with 10,000kms for $22,000 and its an 06. Nothing wrong, just a lease return. Lease returns are awesome cars to buy because the dealer is anal about servicing, and repairs. Even a scratch and they repaint the whole car.

Again, unless you have ALOT of money to burn, buying a new car isnt worth it.

brownchild
04-15-2007, 12:16 AM
I dont know why anybody hasnt said, SAAB 9-3 aero!!!. It's 260HP TWIN TURBO!! Buy it one year old, and forgot to mention it's so reliable, but the resale value isn't to great. Really good warranties from the dealership too.

FiveFreshFish
04-15-2007, 02:09 AM

This is why you shouldn't rule out N/A cars.

For the distance you drive, you should also consider a TDI.

mekeni
04-15-2007, 10:46 AM
a used 330i

The Cosworth
04-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R
already mentioned but definetely definetely 04 and up TL!!!

amazing cars.

:werd: these are nice cars!

Sounds about that range you are looking for and it will be good for the long commute

240ssx
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

This is why you shouldn't rule out N/A cars.

For the distance you drive, you should also consider a TDI.

only one of my choices is turbo. so i didnt rule out n/a. personally all ive owned as a summer car is a turbo car so its a preference to buy another one. plus the TL is a very nice car. so are TDI but im not a fan of FWD and i dont like auto cars. just my preference. a TDI would be nice and you can make them sick looking and so good on deisel but just not my thing. im stuck to RWD and i like to tune and modify my car.

HuyNh_SI
04-15-2007, 11:43 AM
There are certain mods that will void your warranty. Make sure you find out from your dealership what is allowed and what isn't.