PDA

View Full Version : How are the tailights on the Lexus rx330 legal?

Redlyne_mr2
06-01-2003, 08:35 PM
With all the trouble APC has gotten itslef into how has Lexus been able to go above the law and put clear tails on the rx330?
http://www.lexus.com/images/showroom/model/gallery/ext360/rx330_exterior.gif

EG STyLeZ
06-01-2003, 08:40 PM
yeah i've wondered the same question? because the tail lights are basically clears with led bulbs aren't they?

Hakkola
06-01-2003, 08:46 PM
Is it just me or does the rear end look retarded? Someone down the street got one, saw it from the front and was like, cool, looks good, then I saw the ass. Just the placement of the lights bothers me.

They can get away with it because it's factory I guess, not aftermarket. I'm just talking out of my ass now.

BigShow
06-01-2003, 08:48 PM
are altezza lights (if that's what there called) illegal now ?

ZorroAMG
06-01-2003, 09:07 PM
LED's that are designed within a light system made FOR them work amazing, reflectors on the side make them VERY visible and they light much much quicker than traditional bulbs. When we put leds into a regular bulb system, they do not reflect properly and are very dangerous. The E46 BMW has them factory and they are fantastic, i was following one the other day....

Lexus and other manufacturers have R&D'd the shit out of them and no doubt had to pass DOT approval so that is why they are legal, they work much better and don't only look cooler. Hope that helps :)

4wheeldrift
06-01-2003, 09:19 PM
As long as the colors the lights project are legal, and it meets the distance/visibility requirements they can get DOT approval which makes them legal. 3 guesses what APC didn't care about, but you'll only need one ;)

benyl
06-01-2003, 10:58 PM
See the red reflector on the bumper?

That makes it legal. It is visible from the side and from the rear.

Where you have a problem with APC is when the whole thing is completly clear or when the are no red "reflectors" from the side and the rear.

EG STyLeZ
06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
so would it be legal if you had clear tail lights along with some red reflector strips on the bumper or something?

Khyron
06-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Most aftermarket clear/smoked lights for my car come with bumper reflectors that you're supposed to stick on. No one does tho.

Khyron

benyl
06-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by BigShow
are altezza lights (if that's what there called) illegal now ?

They have always been illegal. There are very few companies that go and spend the money to get DOT/SAE approval. I am sure it is expensive.

TYC is the one of the companies that I know of that makes aftermarket lights that a DOT legal.

ryder_23
06-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
they do not reflect properly and are very dangerous.

how so? :dunno:

Weapon_R
06-02-2003, 01:45 PM
To become legal, you must have a red reflector at the side of your vehicle and in the rear. The Lexus has side reflectors and the altezza tail lights.

Most altezzas do not have this side reflector, making them illegal. The new generation tails have the side reflectors, which makes them legal also.

SeRb
06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
dont some S class Benz-es come with clear lights that are stock. . .
i know ive seen a few but im not sure if they stock or not

Ben
06-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
As long as the colors the lights project are legal, and it meets the distance/visibility requirements they can get DOT approval which makes them legal. 3 guesses what APC didn't care about, but you'll only need one ;)

I would like to sue them for disregard for public safety, but then I look at how many ricers they scammed...small price to pay. :P

ZorroAMG
06-02-2003, 04:27 PM
As long as the light shining out the back for brakes is red and signals are either red or amber, it is legal. I was referring to LED's and the fact that if you look straight at a LED it is brigth, if you look from the side it is hardly visible. That is why aftermarket leds that use stock light housings are illegal. Ones from factory are designed to permit LEDs to be seen from the side

NO S-Class or any Benzo for that matter, has stock clear lights...c'mon man...what are you talking about?

littledan
06-02-2003, 05:00 PM
i saw the rx330 the other day... thought the guy had added aftermarket tails!... those are ugly imo

benyl
06-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Just because you shine red, doesn't make it legal. I have seen some Altezzas where the light is so dim, you can't see it.

I think that DOT approval is the only thing that makes it legal. Even then, it is a very thin line.

revscene.net has an RCMP officer who answer questions like this with the acutal laws.

Do a search in that forum and I am sure you will a lot of answers.

sexualbanana
06-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
As long as the light shining out the back for brakes is red and signals are either red or amber, it is legal.

and red and/or (can't remember) amber reflectors

l/l/rX
06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
havent read the thread yet, this is just my theory. but maybe APC's tail lights havent been tested yet to get the DOT/SAE approval. they're probably legal and would pass the test if they were to go through the whole process to get them legalized. Maybe APC doesn't want to spend the money on getting them legalized. maybe the market for APC tail lights isnt very big right now. but thats just my theory, what i think. :)