PDA

View Full Version : SRT-4 Problems?

jf97talon
03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey guys,

I am about to purchase a 2004 SRT-4 with the Factory Stage 1 package.
Car has 94,000 kms on it.

Does anyone know what Dodge gives out for warranty on new cars nowadays?
As well has anyone heard of any common problems with these cars?
As well is warranty transferable?
HELP ASAP PLEASE, as i would be buying the car tomorrow evening

HHURICANE1
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
3 years 60,000. It's out of warranty unless extended warranty was purchased.

jf97talon
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
He says he did.

Would the warranty be transferable???

Does anyone know of any common problems this year or any SRT-4 had?

toomuchb00st
03-21-2007, 08:32 PM
your buying an srt-4, it is more than likely to have problems lol

jf97talon
03-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Why would you say that?

Mangina
03-21-2007, 09:43 PM
That cars probably been beat on and it's a Dodge.
Enough said?

Toms-SC
03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
People talking out of their asses here. I bet they still think MB and VW have excellent reliability.

adam c
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
2004 and 90k? thats pretty high man

crewchaud
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
There is no warranty on that car anymore and extended warranties would be void. Once any stage x is added your warranty is gone.

As for the dodge bashing comment.... Put you pink slip were your mouth is ;) (j/k) But seriously, it will smoke just about anything on the road. Do a google search if your concerned about reliability.

If you want the best bang for the buck, shoot me a PM and I will show you what these cars can do.

Hold on to your money until you have talk to me.

cheers,

Isaiah
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by jf97talon

Does anyone know of any common problems this year or any SRT-4 had?

The drivers.

403Gemini
03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by crewchaud
There is no warranty on that car anymore and extended warranties would be void. Once any stage x is added your warranty is gone.

As for the dodge bashing comment.... Put you pink slip were your mouth is ;) (j/k) But seriously, it will smoke just about anything on the road. Do a google search if your concerned about reliability.

If you want the best bang for the buck, shoot me a PM and I will show you what these cars can do.

Hold on to your money until you have talk to me.

cheers,

negative, mopar stage kits keep your vehicle under warranty. (least so i thought, i know gm honors their warranty w/ their stage kits)

Also i wouldnt worry about it being a dodge, however i would worry if it was bagged on. They are fun sporty cars, and i was considering buying one used, but the thought of buying a used FI car that has probably been bagged scared me.

Edit: however the srt-4 is a SOLID car and has been known to take A LOT of punishment and keep asking for more :)

Its also one of my top "contenders" ;)

Eleanor
03-21-2007, 10:47 PM
you could also PM heavyD and Z_Fan. They both own them. And if you want really biased opinions, go to www.srt4oa.com

jf97talon
03-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by adam c
2004 and 90k? thats pretty high man

I know thats the only thing thats holding me off right now.
however he is an older guy has had the car for 1 year now payed $24,000 last year and is moving out of the province...
He is helping me out by taking my car and $$$ for his car.
Only reason being is he needs at least $4,000 NOW to pay off some taxes before he can leave. Then he will use my car's AWD for the ontario winter and then sell it.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

negative, mopar stage kits keep your vehicle under warranty. (least so i thought, i know gm honors their warranty w/ their stage kits)

Also i wouldnt worry about it being a dodge, however i would worry if it was bagged on. They are fun sporty cars, and i was considering buying one used, but the thought of buying a used FI car that has probably been bagged scared me.

Edit: however the srt-4 is a SOLID car and has been known to take A LOT of punishment and keep asking for more :)

Yes it has the Factory Stage 1 package which should still be covered under warranty.
He says their is still 6 months left on the warranty.

I wouldnt really know if this car has been bagged. Its MINT inside and out.
High kms could be highway kms.. who knows..
But im still contemplating driving to edmonton tomorrow and making this transaction.

crewchaud
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM

Let me be more specific then.... This vehicle has no powertrain warranty. If the extended warranty applies to bumper to bumper (which I doubt) then yes. I own one and use to Work at a Dodge dealership so trust me.

As far as contender goes.... I use to own a '04 Redline and I can tell you there is no comparison but the Ion/Cobolts are nice rides none the less.

jf97talon
03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I am just curious as to if these cars had any problems for this year.
I have read that their was no recalls.

What does extended warranty consist of?

Mibz
03-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Courtesy Chrysler told me that Stage 1 and 2 kept the warranty but Stage 3 voided it. It makes sense to me but who the hell knows? I'm sure it'll depend more on who you bring it to than anything else.

I can pretty much guarantee most of that mileage is highway. I drive my car whenever I'm bored and only managed to put 10,000km on it in 5 months. It's an '05 and now has 26,900.

The bumper to bumper extended warranty on SRT-4's is retardedly expensive. I'm talking enough that anybody buying it could afford an STi instead. I have a feeling whatever warranty he's claiming to have is being misrepresented or blantantly false. I could be very wrong though. Perhaps he knew that he'd be putting insane mileage on it and decided it was worth it.....

So many questions and I really don't have any answers... Sorry. I can tell you from experience that the car is fun as hell as long as you respect it.

As for problems, when you test drive it just make sure that boost peaks at 14 psi and holds at 11 psi. Also pay attention when shifting into third, it's not supposed to be very hard but some cars have a bad fork that makes third retardedly tough to hit. Lastly, make sure nobody has mistaken the car for a shopping cart and filled it with produce :D

If you decide to buy it, make sure you hit up www.srtforums.com and www.srt4oa.com, two great resources for you.

jf97talon
03-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks..
It appears as if I am going to edmonton either tonight, or meeting him in Red Deer this weekend to make the transaction.
I will let everyone know what the deal is about the car

BigMass
03-22-2007, 07:07 AM

I know thats the only thing thats holding me off right now.
however he is an older guy has had the car for 1 year now payed $24,000 last year and is moving out of the province...
He is helping me out by taking my car and $$$ for his car.
Only reason being is he needs at least $4,000 NOW to pay off some taxes before he can leave. Then he will use my car's AWD for the ontario winter and then sell it.

Yes it has the Factory Stage 1 package which should still be covered under warranty.
He says their is still 6 months left on the warranty.

I wouldnt really know if this car has been bagged. Its MINT inside and out.
High kms could be highway kms.. who knows..
But im still contemplating driving to edmonton tomorrow and making this transaction.

when the car was brand new you could buy it for about $24,000 all in after all the wheelin and dealin. That's kinda strange he paid so much for it. And that milage is insane for a car that new. Even drivng through California once a year with my car and daily driving it to work every single day i can barely touch 15-20k/year. What the hell do these people do? Drive every waking minute of their lives? lol

jf97talon
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Well when i had my 7 i hit 60,000 kms in 15 months.
Then again i drove to Arizona, and drove to edmonton about 5 times, drove all over the city ALL THE TIME.
But he lives just outside of edmonton, so maybe those are all highway kms going to work and such.
He also is moving to Ontario so maybe he drove their and back a couple times.

How would i go about checking if there is any leans on the car?

4doorj
03-22-2007, 07:46 AM
i really like srt4's
i say get it

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Don't those cars only cost $24k or so new? If that is the case, isn't $16,000 a little high for a domestic with high km?

heavyD
03-22-2007, 08:14 AM
I own a 2005 SRT-4 and the only issue I have had was a faulty steering column that was replaced under warranty (the bearings in some faulty Neon steering columns have a little play which causes the steering wheel to click sometimes). Otherwise it's been as reliable as any car I've ever owned including Hondas. Considering I have stage 2 w/toys it's putting out more power than 95% of cars on the road and has the reliability of a Civic. Can't beat that. I can garentee that the SRT-4 will be more reliable than most Nissan, Mazda, or VW's.

It is high mileage though and if a kid owned it it may be beat up. Even the most reliable cars in the world can't overcome poor ownership.

heavyD
03-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Don't those cars only cost $24k or so new? If that is the case, isn't $16,000 a little high for a domestic with high km?

Mine listed at $32000.00 new but mine was an ACR.

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Get the vin and go to a registry to check lein. give me the vin and I can carfax for you.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Get the vin and go to a registry to check lein. give me the vin and I can carfax for you.

Carfax is useless in Canada.

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
how so?

If AMVIC regards it as a useful tool then I'm sure there is something legit about it.

Bad experience I take it?

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
how so?

If AMVIC regards it as a useful tool then I'm sure there is something legit about it.

Bad experience I take it?

Well, carfax is American. Carproof is Canadian. I've checked several cars with both, and on two of the more serious occasions, these cars had $13,000-$15,000 of various accident repairs (through insurance) and carfax said the car was flawless. If it werent for Carproof we would of potentially bought that car. On other occasions, the owner told us of various accident related problems and carfax said the car was fine, where carproof matched exactly what the owner said. This has happened to me on many occasions, although it would just take one for me to never use carfax again. Unfortunately, carproof costs per-use where carfax you buy a time limited membership.

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Dont have much experience with Carproof but always good to know. At the end of the day Carfax is still good for seeing were the vehicle is from, how many owners... etc/

canadiandaytona
03-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Only problem with the 04's is they didn't come with an LSD I believe

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Hit it up :thumbsup:

As for mileage... I put about 35k on per year, and thats about... 2 trips to edmonton and a lot of daily driving (commute to school, work, etc). I do a lot of driving though

heavyD
03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Only problem with the 04's is they didn't come with an LSD I believe

04's have LSD. 03's don't have LSD but Canada didn't get any 03's so all Canadian SRT-4's should have LSD.

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

04's have LSD. 03's don't have LSD but Canada didn't get any 03's so all Canadian SRT-4's should have LSD.

You are correct sir. Thank god for LSD :thumbsup:

Anyone who is interested in buying an SRT, let me know cause mine is for sale.

Werd

SIVIC
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I almost purchased a new SRT-4 before I bought my Civic Si.

As far as problems go, some owners reported sunroofs that failed to function properly (often broke when open at high speed)

As a member of srtforums.com I would recommend checking them out for forum info

Even having driven NSXs, Supra TTs, 350Zs.... I will stand by my statement that the SRT-4 is the most FUN I've EVER had driving.

Enjoy!

heavyD
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by SIVIC
Even having driven NSXs, Supra TTs, 350Zs.... I will stand by my statement that the SRT-4 is the most FUN I've EVER had driving.

Enjoy!

I concur. It doesn't look sexy, the interior is low rent but there's a huge fun factor with the car. Part of it I believe is due to the fact that it's just a neon so you don't baby it the way you might a 350Z, S2000, etc. You treat it like a baggin wagon & it takes the abuse and just goes like snot.

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I baby the shit out of mine and half the fun of owning one is the simple fact that at the end of the day it is a neon and 2006 was a year for recognition at drag strips around North America. There is a certain since of accomplishment when we held the most spots in the Top 20 list for FWD cars in Alberta.

Stay tuned this summer for a hand full of us entering the 11's and hopefully at least one of us in the 10's.

403Gemini
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
heavyD or crewchaud , you guys interested in giving me a ride in yours? :D I want to see what the car "feels like" compared to mine haha (i dont want to drive it, just wanna ride shotgun)

Also crewchaud i have no doubt the srt-4's are faster than my ss/sc, but ive beat some mostly due to driver error ;) thats why i call them my contenders.

Its nice to see another "speciality" car on the road too. you see tons and tons of sx 2.0's, cobalt lt's, etc roaming around but its always nice to see STI, a SRT-4, or another SS/SC roaming around once in awhile :D

crewchaud
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
heavyD or crewchaud , you guys interested in giving me a ride in yours? :D I want to see what the car "feels like" compared to mine haha (i dont want to drive it, just wanna ride shotgun)

done

20incheyes
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
SRT4 has more haters then any other car I can think of, I've been behind the wheel of an SRT4 for over 10 hours between the track and street and must say that until you drive it, don't bash it. I was even considering trading in my 03 benz for an SRT4 for awhile when working for DCX back in the day. The car is a blast to drive!

JRSC00LUDE
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Ya, if the car passes a solid mech. inspection then go for it. I think they're awesome. My dad and I took one out for a spin (he's a service mgr at a chrysler dealer) when they first came out and it was an absolute blast to drive. If I would have been thinking of getting rid of my lude I would have snapped it up. Only complaint I had with it is that I'm 6' and a fit 220 and I had trouble fitting into the seat (widthwise) because my legs were too thick. Stupid biking......

20incheyes
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
^^^^

Those Viper inspired seats are not for everyone

SIVIC
03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
175lbs 6'2", they fit me very well

Mangina
03-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Carfax is useless in Canada.

Carfax is useless in Alberta. Something to do with our privacy and anti disclosure laws. Basically means that Carfax won't likely pick up any accidents.

euro_racer
03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
+1 for carfax being useless...my old prelude came up as "wrecked in ontario with over $15k damage" even though the car has never been in the east :dunno:

i like srt-4's alot, however, every time i pass one on the streets the owners start chasing after my msp....i guess its a turbo thing :dunno:

crewchaud
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
(B]I like srt-4's alot, however, every time i pass one on the streets the owners start chasing after my msp....i guess its a turbo thing :dunno: [/B]

LMAO... Unfortunatly we have alot of young owners of these cars. I did it for a week after I got my stage 3 and then it just wasnt fun anymore. Had you been a z06 or a Viper it would have been a different story. At least they give me a run for my money

:nut:

T78Supra1
03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
These cars will always have haters....thats becuase it went Turbo before Honda did.

PROS
The one thing about these cars is that they take mods really well. Anything you do to this car returns decent HP numbers.

Ultimate Sleeper.

Mopar Parts are cheap in comparison to HKS or Greddy

Already come with a front mounted Intercooler

I am sure reliability is up there becuse i have looked at these cars inside and out and there is not muchh to them. Less mechanical parts = less things that can go wrong. People who have popped the hood on a 300zx know what i mean.

CONS
The Car has a bad wrap even with Cops. Too many punk kids rip around in these cars.

Its a Neon. The fact that you can get the base model used for under 10,000

Has way to much clearence.

Handling isn't the greatest.

jf97talon
03-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Well either way guys, i loved the imput ...
So i bought the SRT-4

crewchaud
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats dude. Now go join www.srt4oa.com

Now you just need to help me sell mine :D

jf97talon
03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
hahaha
Don't know anyone with that kinda money looking for one.
Sorry dude.

modded46
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Congrats on the purchase.. I was looking at a great comparison between the SRT-4 & WRX STI.. What is with the interior on these two cars?? Like seriously you can't do any better than that? Obviously you're paying for the engine, drivetrain etc. I can't believe how overpriced STI's are.. I think you made a great purchase, high mileage but other then that good buy.. Have fun! See yah at the track? :nut:

Mangina
03-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Feel free to wash it before you throw pics up.

Oh wait

modded46
03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
Feel free to wash it before you throw pics up.

Oh wait

:D

What's up with the tires too, does it have any tread left in the front?

jf97talon
03-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Theres tons of tread left on the fronts, just a little side wear....:dunno:

Car does have a little higher milage BUT there is still 20,000 kms left on the power train warranty which IS transferable.

Only problem is the 6 disc cd changer is a little jammed... anyone have one for sale??? lol

Car was not washed, but is still clean except for the front bumper. Only because i just finished a 450 kms drive home.

euro_racer
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
she is a beauty...congrats :D

modded46
03-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Theres tons of tread left on the fronts, just a little side wear....:dunno:

Car does have a little higher milage BUT there is still 20,000 kms left on the power train warranty which IS transferable.

Only problem is the 6 disc cd changer is a little jammed... anyone have one for sale??? lol

Car was not washed, but is still clean except for the front bumper. Only because i just finished a 450 kms drive home.

How many times did you get on it on the drive home!!!

:burnout:

Put a aftermarket stereo in there.. I'm sure the stock system is junk.

jf97talon
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I pushed it a little bit just to see what it could do, nothing near redline or anything. Not even burnning out. Just from a roll just to feel more power.

The CD changer was jammed when i bought it, it is a nice system and I put a $4,500 system in my Talon and it was "meh" nothing spectaular.

So i want to get the stock one back
Dodge said they are $605.00 from them. OUCH

Anyone?

Sharpie
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
nice purchase... I am thinking about maybe picking one up in a couple months

jf97talon
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Well come talk to me, the car will still have warranty.
I'll let you know by then if this is the car for me & my family

crewchaud
03-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I pushed it a little bit just to see what it could do, nothing near redline or anything. Not even burnning out. Just from a roll just to feel more power.

The CD changer was jammed when i bought it, it is a nice system and I put a $4,500 system in my Talon and it was "meh" nothing spectaular.

So i want to get the stock one back
Dodge said they are $605.00 from them. OUCH

Anyone?

Go on ebay.. There is even a nice GPS OEM replacement

jf97talon
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Go on ebay.. There is even a nice GPS OEM replacement

Possibly send me a link to that?
I searched "SRT-4" and went through all 10 pages of it and could not find anything for the head unit or any replacements.

NickGT
03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Congrats on the new car. I always give a thumbs up to the SRT-4 guys. Its truly an awesome car. :thumbsup:

sr20dets13
03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I also like these cars..its weird..i hate the look of a neon..but this one is beefier..kinda like a neon on roids lol..only thing i dont like is most of the owners..not alll but allot!..pretty much anything on the road theyll race it!

modded46
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by NickGT
Congrats on the new car. I always give a thumbs up to the SRT-4 guys. Its truly an awesome car. :thumbsup:

I agree, I hope I see him out at the track this year! IS IT SUMMER YET.. WTF??

403Gemini
03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
These cars are amazing :D im sure you'll enjoy it! :)

Mibz
03-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Congrats buddy! Hope you have as much fun with it as I have with mine, just respect the car and the roads and you'll be groovin'.

tapout
03-27-2007, 02:05 AM
congrats:thumbsup:

jf97talon
03-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys

Got some mods going into it.
Nothing major
Cold air, 3" exhaust, wastgate acutator, prothane motor mount inserts, manual boost controller and im done :D