PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about the C32 AMG?

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey guys, I love my car and everything...but it seems to be leaving me wanting more. It has lots of power but I feel it still lives in the shadow of the infamous M3.

I would like to get an M3 and it would be my first choice but I recently discovered that the Mercedes Benz C32 AMG is only a few grand more than my car.

This car has the potential to beat an M3 stock vs. stock and its about $15000 cheaper.

Just looking for some opinions....anyone know about the reliability of these cars?

Would I be better off going with the more expensive M3, or maybe the more expensive SLK32?

Lets hear it guys, thanks.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm assuming in your last line you meant "C32" and not "SLK32".

Anyways I've driven both cars and both are quite nice but I definitely prefer the M3. It is more of a drivers car and handles better. Your only option in the mercedes is an auto tranny and I think that that supercharged V6 was more of the less reliable AMG motors. However for $15,000 of savings, maybe its OK to you. I would also consider a 2000-2002 Audi S4. You get AWD, and with a $650 chip you get 309hp/366lb/ft of torque putting it right in the runnings with the M3 and C32 for even less money yet. Still want a bit more? Put on some RS4 turbos/hardware for another $12,000 or so and you now have ~450whp/wtq, a massive torque curve (1800rpm-4500rpm), AWD, a reliable daily driver as these parts bolt right on, and a car that will blow the doors off of 99% of whats on the road - owners claim 3.2sec 0-60 time. Still for less money than the M3. Anyways, not everyone wants to buy a car and then send it away for $12k of mods, but its an option.

You need to drive the two back to back. There is always M3's at the dealers so wait until you can find a C32 and then do a back-to-back test.

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm assuming in your last line you meant "C32" and not "SLK32".

No i meant the SLK32, I was saying that if i decided to save up the money for an M3...I could also afford the SLK32, which is a bit nicer than the C32 IMO.

Thank you for your thoughts though, and I agree that the S4 is an amazing car. But they are really hard to find lately, I was looking for one when I bought my 330. I must admit though, of the 3 cars (C32,M3, and B5 S4), I like the exterior design of the S4 the least. I think they made vast improvments in the body for the B6.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

No i meant the SLK32, I was saying that if i decided to save up the money for an M3...I could also afford the SLK32, which is a bit nicer than the C32 IMO.

Thank you for your thoughts though, and I agree that the S4 is an amazing car. But they are really hard to find lately, I was looking for one when I bought my 330. I must admit though, of the 3 cars (C32,M3, and B5 S4), I like the exterior design of the S4 the least. I think they made vast improvments in the body for the B6.

A B6 S4 is in the same price range as the M3, and has a V8 if that interests you at all. If not, what is your driving style like? The C32/SLK32 are fairly different cars. How practical do you need it to be?

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 09:57 AM
I like to drive fast, and it doesn't have to be overly practical. Im only 22, so i like to have fun with my cars! haha

I had a riced out civic that was VERY unpractical, but it was still one of my favorite cars ive ever owned.

I've never owned a car with F/I though, so im kind of craving it.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM
If you like to really drive your cars, I think the M3 or B6 S4 would probably give you the most enjoyment as they have manual transmissions and in my opinion handle better. Neither is forced induction however. Superchargers won't give you that "kick in the ass" feeling that some turbos will as they run off of a pulley and are working at all times. Then again, a well done turbo won't kick you in the ass and will be hard to detect. There is no better F/I car in your price range than the B5 S4 haha but I know you don't want one. I also think you will find the power delivery of a nice V8 (B6 S4) quite similar to a F/I car which may help satisfy.

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Has anyone out there ever owned a C32 or Slk32 that can tell me about any reliability issues they may have?

marko polo
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I suggest to wait for the new M3. Anybody know what they are gonna cost and when to expect them here?

20incheyes
03-22-2007, 12:54 PM
C32 has a few minor electrical issues which are (99% of the time) false errors. I find the C32 seats more comfortable then an M3 for long drives, the suspension is setup a little softer then an M3. As for the engine it's well built and I haven't heard of any horror stories yet, I have a few aquaintances who drive them and there is also at least one member on beyond with a birght red C32. There are a few owners on mbworld.org which may help answer a few more of your questions. I have enjoyed my C for almost 5 yrs now

rage2
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
My favorite car that I've owned to date is still my SLK32. I loved that thing, even tho I had a lemon and had problems.

The V6 Kompressor motor is a hit and miss, some ppl have it hopped up to 420hp with zero problems, while some have huge problems (like myself) even stock. Problem areas with the drivetrain:

1. Leaky Intercooler - If you notice coolant levels dropping, get this checked immediately. The IC is made in mexico and the aluminum welds break, so water gets into combustion chambers. This leads to fouled up MAP sensors, dead cats, dead plugs, shitloads of check engine lights that even the dealer doesn't know how to fix, nothing but a nightmare. I've only heard of about 6 cases in the states, but in Calgary I know of 3 cases including myself. My guess is that our extreme weather makes it break easily. MB has replaced the part with an updated part now, so it's only a 1 time fix out of warranty.

2. Blown water pump - The waterpump for the intercooler is electric, and fails. When it fails, u get high intake temps and the engine shuts down the intercooler, leaving you with about 170hp. Fairly easy replacement, you can buy the cheaper (exact same) pump from Ford for their lightning SVT, and replace it easily.

3. Soggy shift points. In late 2002, the C32 and SLK32 got updated software to make the car shift more consistent (harder and faster). Easily upgradable at the dealership. Or just drive your car hard all the time and the software will stay with your agressive driving style.

As for stock performance, the C32 and M3 6 speed are pretty much dead even at the drag strip. The SLK32 is faster than both. Handling wise, the M3 has an edge (it's stiffer from the factory) but if you think an automatic benz can't handle, you're wrong. I autocrossed very competitively in mine. The car does need a LSD tho... something that the M3 has from the factory. Comfort wise? The C32 and SLK32 owns the M3 in that department.

If I could find a SLK32 today that's got a reliable history (no lemon) I would buy it on the spot.

90_Shelby
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My favorite car that I've owned to date is still my SLK32. I loved that thing, even tho I had a lemon and had problems.

The V6 Kompressor motor is a hit and miss, some ppl have it hopped up to 420hp with zero problems, while some have huge problems (like myself) even stock. Problem areas with the drivetrain:

1. Leaky Intercooler - If you notice coolant levels dropping, get this checked immediately. The IC is made in mexico and the aluminum welds break, so water gets into combustion chambers. This leads to fouled up MAP sensors, dead cats, dead plugs, shitloads of check engine lights that even the dealer doesn't know how to fix, nothing but a nightmare. I've only heard of about 6 cases in the states, but in Calgary I know of 3 cases including myself. My guess is that our extreme weather makes it break easily. MB has replaced the part with an updated part now, so it's only a 1 time fix out of warranty.

2. Blown water pump - The waterpump for the intercooler is electric, and fails. When it fails, u get high intake temps and the engine shuts down the intercooler, leaving you with about 170hp. Fairly easy replacement, you can buy the cheaper (exact same) pump from Ford for their lightning SVT, and replace it easily.

3. Soggy shift points. In late 2002, the C32 and SLK32 got updated software to make the car shift more consistent (harder and faster). Easily upgradable at the dealership. Or just drive your car hard all the time and the software will stay with your agressive driving style.

As for stock performance, the C32 and M3 6 speed are pretty much dead even at the drag strip. The SLK32 is faster than both. Handling wise, the M3 has an edge (it's stiffer from the factory) but if you think an automatic benz can't handle, you're wrong. I autocrossed very competitively in mine. The car does need a LSD tho... something that the M3 has from the factory. Comfort wise? The C32 and SLK32 owns the M3 in that department.

If I could find a SLK32 today that's got a reliable history (no lemon) I would buy it on the spot.

On that note, would you ever consider a Crossfire SRT-6? They are essentially the same aren't they?

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
rage, how would the mercedes do in the winter with a good set of winter tires?

benyl
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

On that note, would you ever consider a Crossfire SRT-6? They are essentially the same aren't they?

Same car, just uglier. They are pretty rare though.

rage2
03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Yea, but much more expensive, and uglier. A lot of folks buy replacement parts at Chrysler dealers, crossfire parts are a bit cheaper in some cases, and exactly the same.

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
rage, how would the mercedes do in the winter with a good set of winter tires?
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/mySLK32AMG/2002-12-29%20Winter%20Tires.jpg

Nuff said :rofl:.

But ya, drove mine year round, thru the most insane weather, never a problem, never got stuck. Worst weather was the -35C night blast to Edmonton in a blizzard. Before I hit the blizzard, roads were dry and I was doing 200+ no probs. I think that's the night that killed my intercooler tho hehe.

E46..sTyLez
03-22-2007, 01:58 PM
well then, i guess that answers my question haha.
I can't believe you had a picture on hand of your old car in a blizzard..lol

rage2
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
like I said, my favorite car ever haha.

C4S
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
C32 .. SLK 32 .. S4 .. Jag Stype R .. etc

Are good value for power/performance ..

Overall, E46 M3 is nicer, best looking, best engine, however a good used E46M3 can be at least $10K more then a C32 or S4 .. even Stype R ... (unless u buy in US.. )

Used E55 are cheap to buy, great car, good power, fair handling ~ $30K can get you one ... not bad ... ^_^

E39 M5 is awesome machine, some 2000/2001 models with higher km, ( say 120K km-150Kkm) are still nice car to have, and you may find one for under $40K in good shape .. :D

Canmorite
03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I found the SLK32 super small with the top up. My head would constantly rub against it and I'm only 6'1.

rage2
03-22-2007, 05:19 PM
I've had no problems with the roof up on the SLK. I'm 6'2", and even with helmet on, lots of room. I had to adjust the seat all the way down tho.

C4S
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've had no problems with the roof up on the SLK. I'm 6'2", and even with helmet on, lots of room. I had to adjust the seat all the way down tho.

I guess .. that is why you had a hair cut? :rofl:

Anyway .. SLK or C32 or M3 etc .. they all hv lots of head room ... :) unless you are 6'4 200lbs plus ...