PDA

View Full Version : importing cars question

legereandrew4
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
What should I consider when buying a car that has been imported from Japan and is landed on Canadian soil, at a respected JDM dealer?

jf97talon
03-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
What should I consider when buying a car that has been imported from Japan and is landed on Canadian soil, at a respected JDM dealer?

Inspection.
If they are a respected JDM dealer than you have nothing to worry about

legereandrew4
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
the dealer is out of province, so for imspection, does that effect me, because I will need it inspected in Alberta?... thats where my confusion comes into play

pardip_johal
03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
yes once it comes to alberta it does have to be inspected again.....they ussally land in bc...even if the out of province inspection has been done for bc it will still have to be re-done for alberta as the laws and rules are different

legereandrew4
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
yes I do know, but is there a chance it passed bc and could fail alberta?

Crymson
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
of course there is always a chance.

mx73someday
03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
yes I do know, but is there a chance it passed bc and could fail alberta?

Yes, the provinces have different equipment regulations. Plus you don't know how leniant or strict the BC mechanic was and you don't know how leniant or strict the AB mechanic is going to be. Some mechanics fail stuff that others wouldn't.

msommers
03-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Yes, the provinces have different equipment regulations. Plus you don't know how leniant or strict the BC mechanic was and you don't know how leniant or strict the AB mechanic is going to be. Some mechanics fail stuff that others wouldn't.

This is quite true. Oh a GENERAL basis, BC seems to be a tad more strict than Alberta, but don't let that fool you into thinking that you're homefree in Alberta.

Where are you thinking of buying from? If the car is landed, check if it is registered and insured. Ask to look at the inspection sheet for the out of province.

One thing I do believe (but don't quote me on this), get it inspected at the proper dealership (Nissan, Toyota etc) while it's there. If it's satisfactory, buy it and when it arrives make sure everything on that sheet corresponds to what you physically see. If not, either the shipping company or the company who did the inspection should be held accountable.

legereandrew4
03-22-2007, 06:55 PM
It is landed and registered for canada, has a new canadian vin number, the guy said it will be the same as buying and registering the car as normal. So everything sounds like it is checking out. So hopfully there will be a new JDM 300zx running 500hp on calgary streets in the next month:thumbsup:

bmeier
03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
you will still need to get an out of province inspection if it wasn;t registered in alberta

legereandrew4
03-22-2007, 07:00 PM
out of province is done in BC, I just need to get the Alberta one done once I get it trucked here. I think i got a good understanding now, thanks for all the help guys.