PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel shakes at high speeds

bksze
06-01-2003, 11:57 PM
In the audi, the steering wheel shakes at high speeds . . . it also has a tendency to draw to the left . . . i checked tire pressure and all tires are good . . . it seems to have happened after i replaced the passenger rear tire with a brand new one . . .

any suggestions on how to fix this problem? alignment? retorque wheels?

TIA

Khyron
06-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Check the tire balancing on the new one. Otherwise it's the different treadwears. I assume the single new tire is the same as the other 3?

Khyron

eur0
06-02-2003, 12:35 AM
get an alignment, my car wheel would shake pretty badly at any speed over 80...it fixed my problem though :thumbsup:

hjr
06-02-2003, 12:37 AM
could also be bad ball joins (like on the steering), but thats not likely. Its probably the fact that there is one new tire and 3 old ones.

T5_X
06-02-2003, 01:14 AM
We had a defect in one of our new kumhos that was causing us problems like that... one of the belts in the tire was off.

Maybe put the tire on the other side of the car and see if it makes a difference. Look under the car and see if the ball joints and tie rod end boots are full too.

rage2
06-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Why was the tire replaced?

It's possibly a bad balance job... rebalance and it should be fixed.

If you got a severe blowout, where u drove on the rim for a while, it could be broken suspension related.

Weapon_R
06-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Bearings

bksze
06-02-2003, 11:22 AM
well the tire was replaced due to this

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16506

yep, it was the same tire as the other 3 except at 100% tread as opposed to 85% tread for the other 3

i don't think it has anything to do with the bearings or the joints due to the fact that the car was perfectly fine with the spare on, ever since the new tire came on, it's been wobbly

the wheel as well looks good, didn't seem to be bent in any way

i guess that leaves me with the balancing . . . i'll check that today and hope for the best, hopefully i'll be able to bring it out to the track tonite

Integra Type R
06-02-2003, 01:28 PM
I am thinken that the tire is not balanced, if it is balanced may have cords broken internally in the tire causing it to "vibrate" maken your tire to vibrate. It can really be a number of things but if it just started when you got the new tire, then it is probly that tire causing it. Try rotating it to the rear keeping both front tires at the same tread wear.