PDA

View Full Version : PS3: Holy folding batman!!!!

lewdvig
03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

There is 1 PS3 for every 100 PCs

But the PS3 is doing almost quadruple the work!

Wow. We need a folding client for 360.

There is a client that works on ATI high end video cards, and I think it is even faster. If MS is smart they will bring folding at home to the 360 and leverage the powerfull ATI GPU inside the 360.

DepTrotter
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
explain?

cityhunter2501
03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter
explain?

meaning that the computing power of the ps3 for F@H is 3x of a pc (specs though?)

eblend
03-23-2007, 09:44 PM
PC specs don't matter, many people could be running this on their 386 PCs haha. I remember a program like this (was like 7 years ago, maybe was even the same thing?) and i used to run it on my computer as well, alot of those PCs could be old so it doesn't really compare

wainr
03-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow.. good thing people paid $600 for a console to fold protein... I guess when you're loosing exclusives left right and centre you have to do something.. ;)

GQBalla
03-23-2007, 11:19 PM
its a cure for cancer(folding that is) ^^^^ every little bit helps.

wainr
03-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
its a cure for cancer(folding that is) ^^^^ every little bit helps.

Not my point really. :thumbsup:

lewdvig
03-24-2007, 09:24 AM
I read that the ps3 f@h was 20x the performance of a current pc.

The launch unit that I bought was sold to a buddy who wanted a BR player. Now that there are actually a few decent games for the PS3 I bought another one and Motorstorm ($309 + 12 used games).

The way that I look at it, exclusives other than Ratchet don't matter much much to me. Everything else being equal, I'll buy the game that has free multiplayer. As if I am going to pay for Team Fortress 2 or Unreal multiplayer! The only novelty to XBL was achievements - and I have cured myself of that addiction. :nut:

lewdvig
03-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

meaning that the computing power of the ps3 for F@H is 3x of a pc (specs though?)

The work output from the PS3 grew nearly 50% last night. The output is now 4x that of the entire PC base.

There are 159,681 Windows PCs The combined computing power of these is 152 trillion floating operations per second. That works out to 951,800 flops per PC.

The same Math for the PS3 works out to 24,492,000 flops.

It doesn't mean anything re games - but the is no denying that the Cell CPU has supercomputer attributes.

wainr
03-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by lewdvig
I read that the ps3 f@h was 20x the performance of a current pc.

The launch unit that I bought was sold to a buddy who wanted a BR player. Now that there are actually a few decent games for the PS3 I bought another one and Motorstorm ($309 + 12 used games).

The way that I look at it, exclusives other than Ratchet don't matter much much to me. Everything else being equal, I'll buy the game that has free multiplayer. As if I am going to pay for Team Fortress 2 or Unreal multiplayer! The only novelty to XBL was achievements - and I have cured myself of that addiction. :nut:

I understand what you mean, but acheivemnts are not the only thing.. unified friends list, voice chat in every game. The short time I had a Ps3 these small things really stood out. Having to sync a damn blue tooth headset, which half the time never worked, and hardly anyone else online had a headset either. On live almost everyone has a headset. Also not seeing my friend list or being able to message them while in game, unless they were in the same game.. this was annoying. For 60 bucks a year.. I would rather pay for the superior service. :dunno:

This home things sounds interesting.. but I dont want to have to walk around some vitural world to find someone to play a game with. lol.

lewdvig
03-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I actually dislike the headset/mic. No one else that I know, or care to talk to, has an XBOX. The only people chatting are obnoxious kids. It seems some how that one manages to slip through even though I always leave chat off. But I am ant social.

I have both consoles because of exclusives like Halo3, Mass Effect and BioShock.

Really though, I don't see either have enough of an edge over the other to warrant only having one. They are both innovating.

Besides, my kids never let me touch either console :whocares:

wainr
03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I actually dislike the headset/mic. No one else that I know, or care to talk to, has an XBOX. The only people chatting are obnoxious kids. It seems some how that one manages to slip through even though I always leave chat off. But I am ant social.

I have both consoles because of exclusives like Halo3, Mass Effect and BioShock.

Really though, I don't see either have enough of an edge over the other to warrant only having one. They are both innovating.

Besides, my kids never let me touch either console :whocares:

LOL.

I hear you.. lucky for me I have built up a good friends list, (alot from work) who play, so its no problem.

I will likely end up with a ps3 down the road anyway. :D

iceburns288
03-24-2007, 08:16 PM
If you read the description, it says it counts computers which have been active at least twice in the past 50 days, and PS3s which have been active at least twice in the past 2 days. I'm betting if they counted PCs in the last two days the number of counted computers would be a lot lower.

civic_epidemic
03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
True, but regardless, you can't deny that the PS3 is a BEAST. We should see if beyond can put together enough people, and make a team and start seeing how much we can do

Xtrema
03-25-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think there's any dispute over cell as kick ass processor. Just PS3 a premium gaming rig.

lewdvig
03-25-2007, 07:18 PM
If you have a look at the footage from GDC, its pretty clear that the PS3 2nd gen games look amazing - frankly much better than anything on the 360. Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted look really impressive.

Plus stuff like this is turning up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147846

So who knows?

cityhunter2501
03-25-2007, 07:23 PM
already owned a 360 then sold it a month after.
so definetly looking forward on purchasing a ps3 later this year.

wainr
03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
If you have a look at the footage from GDC, its pretty clear that the PS3 2nd gen games look amazing - frankly much better than anything on the 360. Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted look really impressive.

Plus stuff like this is turning up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147846

So who knows?

Saw that thread on GAF.. was it confirmed to be real? Or real gameplay screens?

Just curious.

Have you seen the shots of Ace Combat on 360? Looks pretty sweet.

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Actually the NEO Gaf stuff looks tame compared to the INsomniac and Naughty Dog games coming this fall.

heavyD
03-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by civic_epidemic
True, but regardless, you can't deny that the PS3 is a BEAST.

Why do all the games look and play better on the 360? I have both and have yet to see a PS3 game that looks better than anything on the 360. Not to mention the flimsy cheap ass sixaxis controller that sometimes cuts out when you are playing.:thumbsdow

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
... all the quick ports look better. There isn't a game as pretty as Motorstorm or F1 on the 360. And Forza does not look as good as GT HD (notwithstanding damage).

heavyD
03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
... all the quick ports look better. There isn't a game as pretty as Motorstorm or F1 on the 360. And Forza does not look as good as GT HD (notwithstanding damage).

Motorstorm looks very nice but it's not perfect and there's only a handful of tracks and not very much content. Nobody has played Forza yet so I can't comment but GT HD is a tech demo, not a game. It looks great but isn't jaw dropping. VF5 doesn't look as good as DOA4 in fact the characters have the jaggies at the opening of fights.

GOW is still the graphics champ.

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
GOW looks nice once all the textures and bump maps load - but it isn't perfect. It pushes the 360 pretty hard - the occasional video artifacts are a good sign of that.

UT3 will have equal quality of graphics and it is multi-platform.

I'm not really interested in a platform polemic, until the 360 has a folding client I have no idea what relevance GOW or 360 graphics have on a discussion comparing PC and PS3 folding performance. :dunno:

Super_Geo
03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
So a PS3 is roughly 10x faster at folding than the fastest current PC?

GQNammer
03-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Now if only my ps3 can do my laundry

Hakkola
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Motorstorm looks very nice but it's not perfect and there's only a handful of tracks and not very much content. Nobody has played Forza yet so I can't comment but GT HD is a tech demo, not a game. It looks great but isn't jaw dropping. VF5 doesn't look as good as DOA4 in fact the characters have the jaggies at the opening of fights.

GOW is still the graphics champ.

Who said anything about content, I believe his post was all about graphics, not content.

GT HD is playable is it not?

habsfan
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
i'm not surprised that the ps3 is fast at folding...the cell is designed to perform a shitload of functions and equations all at once, so obviously it's going to be good at crunching protein numbers. too bad it sucks as a gaming console right now.

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 06:07 PM
... and this is from someone who cheers for the habs and red bull racing, so he know all about sucking. :poosie:

habsfan
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
... and this is from someone who cheers for the habs and red bull racing, so he know all about sucking. :poosie:

how old are you, 12? i'd like to see calgary still be in contention if their allstar goalie has been out for an extended period of time. and as i've already clarified in a thread somewhere on beyond, my signature changes between pretty much every F1 team since i'm an F1 fan, it just happened to be red bull's turn. and like it or not the ps3 does suck as a gaming console right now. it has 1 game that is somewhat appealing, resistance, and all the other games that are out on ps3 have been out, and are better on the 360. so i'm happy for you that your 700 dollar console can do math. congratulations.

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
LOL - get a sense of humor. Everything else you said was blah blah blah...

habsfan
03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
i changed my mind, you're 11. apparently me explaining that i like f1 and that there are no good games on the ps3 yet classifies as "blah blah blah"

grow up chief.

wainr
03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
ruh roh

lewdvig
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
i changed my mind, you're 11. apparently me explaining that i like f1 and that there are no good games on the ps3 yet classifies as "blah blah blah"

grow up chief.

off topic and pointless...

Back on topic:

At one point last night the stats on the Stanford site showed almost 800 TFLOPS but they seem to have come back down to 400.

heavyD
03-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Who said anything about content, I believe his post was all about graphics, not content.

You're right. My appologies. I don't want to upset the Sony fanboy gang.:rolleyes:

Hakkola
03-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

You're right. My appologies. I don't want to upset the Sony fanboy gang.:rolleyes:

I'm not a fanboy, if I was going to buy a system today I'd buy an xbox360.

He was talking graphics and you brought up content for some reason. If anything, you sound like an xbox fanboy. :dunno:

kenny
03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
So a PS3 is roughly 10x faster at folding than the fastest current PC?

No, the PS3 is 10x faster than the AVERAGE of all PCs that are running the S@H folding program.