PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cooper S

nookmumracing
06-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Saw Italian Job, over the weekend and the movie was pretty good. The mini's in the show where awesome, makes me want to dish out for one, not for $40,000 though. The old school mini in the movie, most likely had a Honda motor in it. Definately sounded like one, can anyone confirm that?

fast95pony
06-02-2003, 06:06 PM
A Honda engine in a Mini ?? That would NEVER happen . What an insult. Please delete this thread at once !!

:D

sin
06-02-2003, 06:07 PM
lol ya man minis have BMW engines

T5Bird
06-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Possible, lot's of guys with "real" Minis have been doing VTEC swaps lately. there's even a few VTEC Min i's in town, Zahir brought in a few. But I agree... BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsdow

04blackMAX
06-02-2003, 06:59 PM
yeah why the fuk would it have a honda engine?

Bayyak
06-02-2003, 08:05 PM
i heard somewhere that a company was doing b16a swaps into minis and selling hem for 20 grand..theyre the old school ones

T5Bird
06-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Bayyak
i heard somewhere that a company was doing b16a swaps into minis and selling hem for 20 grand..theyre the old school ones

Yes there a few companies that convert them, or sell the parts to do so. It's a pretty straightforward swap actually, custom bolt in subframe and everything.

jdmakkord
06-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Theres full fiberglass bodied minis with b16, and b18c5's in em. I heard of these like 2 years ago.

method
06-02-2003, 09:40 PM
why the fuck would they do it? because those old school minis are like fucking gokarts. they're ridiculously light, have a tiny wheelbase, and are cooler than any fucking civic.

jesus christ, why WOULDNT you drop a fast revving, 160hp engine into a mini? :drool:

T5Bird
06-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by method
why the fuck would they do it? because those old school minis are like fucking gokarts. they're ridiculously light, have a tiny wheelbase, and are cooler than any fucking civic.

jesus christ, why WOULDNT you drop a fast revving, 160hp engine into a mini? :drool:

:werd: I've had a few Minis and I can say they are the coolest cars you will ever, ride in, drive, or own!:clap: You'll get way more thumbs up and curious on lookers than a Porshe Boxster. But the powerplant leaves a little to be desired ,stock motors range between 30hp and 70hp. A very well modified A-series engine will range between 100hp and 140hp. After that the engine becomes somewhat of a race only deal, very grumpy and not very streetable. So dropping in a stock fuel injected Honda motor is a signifigant power gain, but still very streetable, and it leaves the door open for more power.

FiveFreshFish
06-02-2003, 11:33 PM
Why not drop a new Cooper S motor into an old school mini?

jdmakkord
06-02-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Why not drop a new Cooper S motor into an old school mini?

$$$$$$$$$

^SkylinE^
06-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Italian Job is a sick movie i highly recomend it!!!!

El Borracho
06-03-2003, 01:37 AM
Hey Nookmum, did you know that for the sound effects of the Mini's engine noise in the movie, they used Dicks WRX (Axis)!!? I guess he is in the credits somewhere! Not sure which part of the movie or which Mini.

buh_buh
06-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by nookmumracing
Saw Italian Job, over the weekend and the movie was pretty good. The mini's in the show where awesome, makes me want to dish out for one, not for $40,000 though. Man I just got back from the movie, and I was thinking the EXACT same thing. The car looks so good in the movie.

T5_X
06-03-2003, 04:31 AM
Don't new mini cooper s's have essentially a neon engine? I think there was a thread on it a while ago.

In any case, the new minis are totally overrated. Much more sensible choices for the money.

4wheeldrift
06-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Why not drop a new Cooper S motor into an old school mini? Because there are lighter, cheaper motors that will do the job better.

4wheeldrift
06-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by sin
lol ya man minis have BMW engines Actually the new ones don't, the motor is a joint project with chyrsler, the motors are assembled in south america (brazil, I think). Original minis used mostly Rover engines I believe.

nookmumracing
06-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by El Borracho
Hey Nookmum, did you know that for the sound effects of the Mini's engine noise in the movie, they used Dicks WRX (Axis)!!? I guess he is in the credits somewhere! Not sure which part of the movie or which Mini.

For real, that's hilarious. Next time I watch it, I will keep my ears and eyes open.

Loose
06-03-2003, 12:02 PM
I saw about a month ago. Good movie, but rough ending. I guess they were going to change the ending before the release.

Quote of the movie: "There is not a lot a girl won't do in the passenger seat of an Aston Martin"

(Paraphrasing)

I really wanted a Mini after seeing it. I thought the Pepsi and Dell product placement was sort of cheesy. Movies are turning into big adds.

atomic
06-03-2003, 02:18 PM
fast95pony:

actually it's real sad but true .. the type-r vtec gets put into mini's often in europe .. there is one here at zier's auto ..

don't worry .. u'll never catch us swapping engines in the 86 picadilly mini :) .. although it'd probably help releive all the maintenance required to drive the thing .. :P

syeve
06-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by atomic
fast95pony:

actually it's real sad but true .. the type-r vtec gets put into mini's often

Ya man..they should have put a Ford motor in there, what are they thinking!!!......:thumbsdow

JDM 200sx
06-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Dude why are you being such an ass. We have a friend that has an old mini that we don't plan on swapping in a vtec. Did he say that he'd rather put in a ford engine?

atomic
06-03-2003, 03:39 PM
syeve:

no one suggested a "ford" engine. although, a ford 400 hp mach 1 super charged transplant would be quite the ride ..

but either way .. once u transplant the motor, it's no longer worthy of mini status ..

which is why it's sad that ppl transplant motors into mini's ..

Mini Girl
06-03-2003, 04:57 PM
I own a 1986 Austin Mini Piccadilly and they ARE definately the BEST ride around.

Nothing gets more attention than an Austin Mini driving down the highway. I can take looks away from ANY car, you name it!
And they handle like nothing else!

As for the BMW Minis (Binis as we mini owners call them)

BINI is a nice car.
Mini is a timeless classic.
BINI is not Mini!
The end

However, BMW is re-releasing the classic mini April 2003. Let's just hope it is what they say it will be.

And as far as engine swaps go, there ARE alot of people who put Vtec's in minis as well as various other engines.
http://minimikebc.tripod.com/

My opinion on that is that anyone who puts another engine in a mini isn't driving a mini anymore and its ridiculous. However, it would be pretty fun to bring a mini to the race track and blow everyones pants off. They'd be shocked!

As far as my car is concerned though, I will be improving it as best I can while maintaining the originality. I won't be able to do a 14 or even an 18, but at least I know I have the coolest ride in town and no matter what it makes EVERYONE smile :)

Maybe I'll put a Vtec in my next mini just to show some of the rice stars up at the track. That would RULE!

-Liz
http://liz.banff.org/mini.html

Impreza
06-03-2003, 08:45 PM
is it just me or was there only ONE mini cooper s (the one charlize theron drove) and two normal mini's. I only saw one mini with a hoodscoop. Am i on crack or did anyone notice this too?

nookmumracing
06-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Mini Girl
I own a 1986 Austin Mini Piccadilly and they ARE definately the BEST ride around.

Nothing gets more attention than an Austin Mini driving down the highway. I can take looks away from ANY car, you name it!
And they handle like nothing else!

As for the BMW Minis (Binis as we mini owners call them)

BINI is a nice car.
Mini is a timeless classic.
BINI is not Mini!
The end
-Liz

Looks like you got your mini from Zahir. He has some nice ones at his shop. Yours is a tighty too. Charlize Theron looked awesome in and out of the mini. It's always a turn on when you see a girl driving a cool car. :thumbsup:

REdOX
06-04-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by nookmumracing

Looks like you got your mini from Zahir. He has some nice ones at his shop. Yours is a tighty too. Charlize Theron looked awesome in and out of the mini. It's always a turn on when you see a girl driving a cool car. :thumbsup:

Where can I find this shop? I'd like to visit it sometime.

Silencer
06-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Mini Girl

-Liz

I saw you on the side of highway 1 a few days ago.

Mini Girl
06-05-2003, 09:02 AM
REdOX:

http://www.zrauto.com/
his address is under 'contact us'

Silencer:
Probably..I spent a few hours on the side of the highway last week. My coolant was leaking and my car kept overheating. Got my rad flushed and oil changed now though so no more overheating for my baby.

:)