PDA

View Full Version : Engine washing

Beastly Power
06-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Is there anything i should be aware of before i pressure wash my engine?

Ben
06-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Make sure you ge lots of water around your spark plugs and distributer. :thumbsup:

*do the opposite*

BigShow
06-02-2003, 11:54 AM
It's important to soak your air intake and give it a good rinse, also use the foam brush on your distributor cap to remove the dirt...

Luke 96 T/A
06-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Just in case you couldn't pick up on the sarcasm... Don't EVER wash your engine bay with a pressure washer!!!!!
Do it by hand, with a rag!!!
Pressure soakers can FORCE water into various parts of your engine... not good ;-)
Use some liquid orange, or some actual engine cleaner degreaser..

BigShow
06-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Actually some coin-op carwashes do offer the lighter pressured "engine cleaner" which is safe to use if you know what your doing...

Ben
06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Good ole elbow grease is the best way to clean the motor.

mad_psyentist
06-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Degreaser and a garden hose on low. Just make sure to either bag up or remove and seal your air filter and other nasty exposed, aftermarket things that may not like a gentle mist (Do ya need to avoid a turbo?... dunno, I ain't gots one... yet). Usually the back of the can tells ya what to do. It's somewhat a no-brainer.

rice_eater
06-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Dont be lazy dude and do it with a moist rag!

SilverRex
06-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I was told by my dealer it is alright to wash the engine bay, they said if they were to do it for me, the ywould use a pressure washer. The only thing they told me is not to use the engine setting at the coin wash, they contain chemical that can remove the layer of seal or protection I have in my engine bay. So they just recommend me to use water.

so I washed last week and so far so good, clean and still running. OF course they also added, I should leave the engine on when washing it.

vtec96
06-02-2003, 10:49 PM
so I washed last week and so far so good, clean and still running. OF course they also added, I should leave the engine on when washing it. [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: leave the engine on when washing it ???
You sure ??

RiceCake
06-02-2003, 11:01 PM
I think you can usually pressure wash most newer engines now due to the fact that the engine, distributer cap, and spark plugs etc are all covered with a big piece of plastic... :)

http://www.psylence.com/Automotive/SpecGTI-041803/005.jpg

T5_X
06-03-2003, 04:34 AM
castrol super clean, a bucket of water, a scrub brush and a rag.

SplineZ
06-03-2003, 08:58 AM
that castrol stuff is crazy, i was using some "citrus degreaser" and the castrol stuff is far better. Tooo bad its pretty expensive..

So heres what I do now:
get the cheap shit (gunk, motomaster citrus degreaser) spray it on (not on your electronics) and let it sit for a while. then wash it off... Anything that doesnt come off you will need to use the castrol stuff and a "parts cleaning brush" also from CT...

Be weary of using high pressure ANYTHING on your engine.. its just bad news. I have seen sooooo many idiots being pushed out of the carwash because they FORCED water into their distributor, or fuse box..

dumbasses :)

James Z