PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty

Ragman
03-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Having a problem with a 2000 323 Cabrio stored over winter. Car was serviced and stored as per dealer instructions including the use of the 1.25 amp trickle charger in November 06. Upon trying to start the car ths past week I get no crank at the starter. Checked the obvious first, Battery charge o.k. fuses o.k., Disconnected battery and let computer re-boot. Tried OBD to read possible fault codes, but am getting an error prompt. Am I overlooking a bad relay or do I resort to towing to the dealer and possible rape? any help would be appreciated.

whiskas
03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Reseat the battery post clamps, make sure they're shiny.

If that doesn't solve it then it's time to break out the voltmeter and molest your car with it.

Ragman
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Sorry , I forgot to mention that I tried boosting it at the posts under the hood and then from the battery itself. It doesn't even click to indicate the solenoid is getting power. The alarm, stereo , dash lights, headlights all work fine, just no crank. Then I tried another key thinking some how the code was wiped clean. No luck.

whiskas
03-24-2007, 10:36 PM
If something is wrong with your battery, then even boosting it won't solve the problem.

What kind of voltage is the battery showing right now?

If you don't have a voltmeter take the battery to CT and have them test it for free.

RaptorGJC
03-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Somehow, I think it's an electronic problem IMO. You might have to end up at dealership or a shop. Don't take me to serious, I might be wrong. GL fixing ur car.

marko polo
03-25-2007, 04:27 AM
check youre Ground cables. i had a similair problem with my car and it took me so long to figure out what it was but turned out to be very simple.

did u have any work done before u stored it cause the shop i had do my clutch didnt tighten the ground cable enough causing the electrical system to act like it was on drugs

mojoman
03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
if your getting power to all the asserories, then the battery and cables should be fine. more than likely from sitting all winter the solenoid is stuck. if you can get at it, give the starter and solenoid a few wacks with a hammer. now don't hit it like your trying to kill it, just give it a few taps to try and free the solenoid if it is stuck. be careful not to hit the electrical posts on the solenoid. this is old school and has got me going in a couple of differnt vehicles. good luck

snowboard
03-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mojoman
if your getting power to all the asserories, then the battery and cables should be fine. more than likely from sitting all winter the solenoid is stuck. if you can get at it, give the starter and solenoid a few wacks with a hammer. now don't hit it like your trying to kill it, just give it a few taps to try and free the solenoid if it is stuck. be careful not to hit the electrical posts on the solenoid. this is old school and has got me going in a couple of differnt vehicles. good luck

usually you get a clicking sound if the solenoid is stuck though dont you? but this trick does work alot of the time haha..