PDA

View Full Version : Massive Pothole on Elbow!!!

94boosted
03-25-2007, 03:36 AM
I was driving in the right lane on Elbow Drive going South. Right in between Crescent Blvd and Imperial Way there is a huge pothole on the right side closer to the curb.

I hit the pothole going about 50Km/h and I just hear this massive thud and the whole car shakes, then all of a sudden I have a flat, pull over a block down and I look at my rim and see a giant dent in it and absolutley no air in the tire, take it off and put on the spare and on the other side of the rim in the same spot another huge dent.

During this time I hear another thud and I see a Pontiac Grandam pull over across the street with 4-ways on also with a flat.

This is absolutely ridiculous the pothole is not marked at all and is in between two street lights so its really hard to see and its massive. I now need to buy another rim and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get reinbursed by the City of Calgary.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/Pothole-1.jpg
Doesn't look that big from the pic but it really is atleast 5 or 6 inches deep

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/Pothole2.jpg
Doesn't look that big from the pic but it really is atleast 5 or 6 inches deep

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/DamagetoRim.jpg
The back side of my rim

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/DamagetoRim2.jpg
The front side of my rim

marko polo
03-25-2007, 03:45 AM
i think the only thing that you could do is get insurance to pay but thats a big hassle for just a wheel. I remember about 5 years ago a person i knew hit a manhole cover that was sticking out of the ground cause the city was doing work on the road and he HAD to go thru insurance. (IT WAS ALSO UNMARKED)

i suggest maybe bring it into alberta wheel repair and see if u can save some money fixing it instead of buying a new one:thumbsup:

RaptorGJC
03-25-2007, 03:48 AM
I hope you have better than liability for insurance, if ur gonna go to them that is. I'd just get new rims if i were u.:D

94boosted
03-25-2007, 03:51 AM
I thinks thats just rediculous though its completely City of Calgary's fault and if I go through insurance on a $200 rim its gona end up costing me $1000 deductible plus prob a rate hike

djayz
03-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Definately report that to the city and see if they can pay for the repairs or atleast half the cost of the new rim.

marko polo
03-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by djayz
Definately report that to the city and see if they can pay for the repairs or atleast half the cost of the new rim.

:werd: call 311

Cy2k1
03-25-2007, 06:06 AM
well not to steal the topic. But a few weeks ago when the snow started melting at the university, on collegiate blvd there was at least 3-4 huge potholes that were deep and roughly almost the same size as the ones in the pic. It was unmarked and was hard to tell cause water filled it up due to the melting snow. My brother hit one of them and got a flat. It was unmarked and it just got fixed a few days ago.

Kinda makes you pissed off at the people in charge of the roads for not doing their job even though we're paying them money for it! :drama:

djayz
03-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Cy2k1
well not to steal the topic. But a few weeks ago when the snow started melting at the university, on collegiate blvd there was at least 3-4 huge potholes that were deep and roughly almost the same size as the ones in the pic. It was unmarked and was hard to tell cause water filled it up due to the melting snow. My brother hit one of them and got a flat. It was unmarked and it just got fixed a few days ago.

Kinda makes you pissed off at the people in charge of the roads for not doing their job even though we're paying them money for it! :drama:

Well it takes the citizens to find out where they are. They dont drive around looking for potholes all day so if you ever see one report it in...you dont have to hit one but you could save someone else from getting a flat by reporting what you see on the roads.

Supa Dexta
03-25-2007, 06:57 AM
you could fit 10 of those in some of edmontons... ha

good luck with it... they had a rant on the radio up here about potholes, and how people shouldn't complain and just avoid hitting them... obviously shithead yukon jack doesn't drive...

Tik-Tok
03-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I thinks thats just rediculous though its completely City of Calgary's fault,

It sucks, but really it's your fault for not seeing it.

Even when a citizen calls one in, it's not like they have an emergency pothole crew, who zip out at a moments notice, lights and sirens blaring, to fill it, it'll take a few days.

My suggestion is to use this as an excuse to buy some nice rims. :D

94boosted
03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Well I would love to buy all new rims but I'm a college student so my budget isn't very extravagent lol

I know I should of avoided it but it was really hard to see I'm not a bad driver never had any accidents and I do avoid most of the potholes I see :) but the one I couldn't messes up my car

herragge
03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
you could fit 10 of those in some of edmontons... ha

good luck with it... they had a rant on the radio up here about potholes, and how people shouldn't complain and just avoid hitting them... obviously shithead yukon jack doesn't drive...

Ya fricken Etowns roads are the shitiest of the shit. It probably delays bringing out anybody's car for anothe 2-3 weeks during the summer just because the pot holes need to be fixed.

Sorry to hear about your rim, at least its stock and not like HRE's or anything. Hope you get it resolved.

Mike

nismodrifter
03-25-2007, 12:55 PM
That's a typical small pothole in Saskatchewan haha. It was fun driving in Saskatoon when everything was melting, I'd be swerving all over the road to avoid holes that could literally eat a car whole. Sometimes they were so huge that they'd shut down entire lanes of traffic because it looked like a missle strike occured.

Shitty luck. Getting $$ from the City is next to impossible too.

94boosted
03-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Lol its not a stock rim for my car though its of a 2G Talon and I drive a 1G 17" vs 16"

I called it in to the City of Calgary today and filled a claim I guess we will see what happens

KenP
03-25-2007, 01:27 PM
You driving the Talon? You pick her up already? Way to pick her up and not bring me loser! :(

My girlfriend hit that yesterday in her SUV, I thought we where going to die!

rc2002
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I've hit that pothole before. Elbow's bad for them.

Good luck getting the city to pay for it though. I submitted a claim a few years back and nothing came out of it. They filled the hole immediately and then a few months later they told me that the hole never existed.

jdm_eg6
03-25-2007, 02:36 PM
CITY OF CALGARY WILL PAY FOR IT, CONTACT THEM

Tik-Tok
03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Lol its not a stock rim for my car though its of a 2G Talon and I drive a 1G 17" vs 16"

I called it in to the City of Calgary today and filled a claim I guess we will see what happens

A couple of months back, there was a 2G talon with 3 stock rims on it at one of the auto wreckers... can't remember the name, the one you see on the right travelling southbound on deerfoot just before glenmore turnoff.

Anyways, that was a couple of months ago, it may be crushed by now, might be worth a shot, there were 3 dsm's last I was there.

Hakkola
03-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

:werd: If there's no signage indicating a pothole then any damage incurred by it can be blamed on the city. You are able to get money from the city, it might be a pain in the ass to get though.

94boosted
03-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by KenP
You driving the Talon? You pick her up already? Way to pick her up and not bring me loser! :(

My girlfriend hit that yesterday in her SUV, I thought we where going to die!

Sorry buddy it was a spur of the moment thing nice weather I just went to Brag Creek put some oil in it took it off the jacks and drove it home. First day I bring her back and I get fucked in the ass by Calgary roads

TorqueDog
03-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I've hit that pothole before. Elbow's bad for them.

Good luck getting the city to pay for it though. I submitted a claim a few years back and nothing came out of it. They filled the hole immediately and then a few months later they told me that the hole never existed. ... and you didn't take pictures why?

Xtrema
03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Wow, same stories every spring.

mo_money2supe
03-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
That's a typical small pothole in Saskatchewan haha. It was fun driving in Saskatoon when everything was melting, I'd be swerving all over the road to avoid holes that could literally eat a car whole. Sometimes they were so huge that they'd shut down entire lanes of traffic because it looked like a missle strike occured.

Shitty luck. Getting $$ from the City is next to impossible too.

At least you never brought your rims out here to Saskatoon! This past October when I still had my 17s on, I ran over a series of 3 or 4 manhole sized potholes, which obviously bent the heck out of one of my rims. Fortunately, I didn't get a flat, but I didn't notice the dent (similar to the OPs) until I put my winters on a couple weeks later. I wish I had the chance to file a complaint with the city, but honestly, it's Saskatoon, they probably would've replied with something like, "You should know better! Potholes are everywhere here, and it's up to the citizens to dodge them!" :nut: I seriously cannot wait 'till I'm finished with my schooling here...trust me, you Calgarians have it lucky compared to any road out here!

96GrandAMGT
03-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

actually the odds of them paying for it are VERY slim, i work for them and they wouldnt even fix my danm wheel last year when i hit a bigger hole on 16th by the cildrens hospital.... GL maybe they have changed :drama:

jsn
03-25-2007, 08:45 PM
potholes seem to be popping up everywhere this year. Huge ones too. on the way to my job which is up 16th, theres a huge, almost meter long pothole. I don't remember there ever being this much in previous years. :thumbsdow

Vietsta
03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
how much is it ganna cost to fix your rim?

Lexxan
03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
haha i just dodged that like 2 hours ago.. right after you cross the bridge and go up the hill right?

Dayclone
03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Anyone have some tar? I'll go out and fill it myself those stupid bastards!!!

I know down here by 130th there's massive manholes sticking out of the top and i always run them over doing 60... don't know how well my tires and rims can handle em but yeh...

Steve

Barrington
03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I was driving in the right lane on Elbow Drive going South. Right in between Crescent Blvd and Imperial Way there is a huge pothole on the right side closer to the curb.

I hit the pothole going about 50Km/h and I just hear this massive thud and the whole car shakes, then all of a sudden I have a flat, pull over a block down and I look at my rim and see a giant dent in it and absolutley no air in the tire, take it off and put on the spare and on the other side of the rim in the same spot another huge dent.

During this time I hear another thud and I see a Pontiac Grandam pull over across the street with 4-ways on also with a flat.

This is absolutely ridiculous the pothole is not marked at all and is in between two street lights so its really hard to see and its massive. I now need to buy another rim and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get reinbursed by the City of Calgary.

Whoaaa buddy.. good luck on getting the money from the city :P
thats a nasty pothole though.. good report.

94boosted
03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Lexxan
haha i just dodged that like 2 hours ago.. right after you cross the bridge and go up the hill right?

Yah thats the one after the hill like another block or two.

It's not so much that its long or wide its that it's deep really can't tell from the pic but its a half a foot for sure in the deepest part. Anyone with low pro tires is fucked if they hit it

Lt247
03-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I was in the car with him at the time that he hit this pothole.. and send the hour afterwards helping him with going to get a spare from the house etc...

the pothole is at least 5 inches deep, if not a little bit more in some spots. I took some pictures with my camera ill upload them soon. he was unavailable to avoid the pothole at the time. Just for peoples reference, its just off the corner of Imperial way and Elbow Drive.

Lexxan
03-26-2007, 12:30 AM
i dodged it in a truck with a vehicle beside me..

03ozwhip
03-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Ive gone through the city to fix my tire years ago. you just have to keep on top of them, and when they send you a letter, reply back to it ASAP oir else theyll throw your claim out. theyll pay for it.