PDA

View Full Version : Korean schools

89coupe
03-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Last night I had dinner with the GF and some of her relatives from Seoul Korea. We got onto the topic about school and I asked them if it was any different then the schools here in North America. Both girls told me that school hours go from 8am in the morning to 10pm at night. :eek:

They get two 45 minute breaks, one for lunch and one for dinner, I was totally shocked. Oh they also said that all their classes were in the same room, just nuts!

Rav4Guy
03-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Yea.. most asian school systems are like that. In HK, my cousins have school on Saturdays, chinese school, a tutor, and music lessons. Very different systems for sure and it shows. Students that come from asian countries are actually ahead in math and sciences. The only thing that sets them back is the english.

89coupe
03-26-2007, 09:58 AM
It makes you wonder how their social skills can develop with such a strict lifestyle.

They are like robots.

Xtrema
03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
I don't know about Korea. But in HK, it's 8 to 4 and most of them go tutoring after which will probably go into the night. Tutoring is a HUGE business in HK.

Then dinner and homework time til 9 and bed time. Only bad students get any play time.

Saturday is a half day and alternate on/off for some, depending on the school. But back in my days (long long time ago) Saturday is more a recreational day than hardcore textbook learning.

Asian school do generate robots (drones). That's why high tech sector soar and able to move in such fast pace. North America is also turning into the same system. If you look at all the private schools and tutoring school in town, you'll see that we are not too far behind. Just look at the homework kids got now in elementary VS almost no homework just 10-20yrs ago.

It's only logical. We as a race has accumulated so much knowledge that eventually we'll have to accelerate the learning in order to function at a basic level. While kids learn about calculus in grade 9 in Asian country, majority of us don't even touch that subject in NA til 1st year university or grade 12. That's quite a gap.

benyl
03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
The koreans that I know that can afford to party... do.

It is actually sad how Korean culture is changing... Respecting your elders is no longer the norm.

Oh, and there is a big fad right now in Korea. Suicide is really in vogue.

Aleks
03-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Even when i made the move from Europe to the Canadian schools in grade 9 I noticed a huge difference. I coasted thru Hi school because it was so easy compared to the school back in the old country.

l/l/rX
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
that is why you become a gangster =) then you can say FUCK SCHOOL! hahaha. :clap:

Hakkola
03-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
Yea.. most asian school systems are like that. In HK, my cousins have school on Saturdays, chinese school, a tutor, and music lessons. Very different systems for sure and it shows. Students that come from asian countries are actually ahead in math and sciences. The only thing that sets them back is the english.

:thumbsdow

Finland has the shortest school day out of all the industrialized countries and is usually top 5 in math and literacy and science.

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/snapshot/sf011210.htm

Originally posted by Rav4Guy

Finland is in the upper reaches of educational and economic performance tables - but there is one OECD education table in which it comes last in the industrialised world.

And that is for the number of hours spent in school by pupils between the ages of seven and 14.

Does this mean that the less time pupils spend in school the better they perform? And what does it say about the English system that puts pupils through so many more hours each year?

It also raises questions about when pupils should begin school. Finland has a starting age of seven - and pupils rapidly catch up with their English counterparts who might have been working away in nursery and reception classes for two years before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4033261.stm

I feel sorry for those suckers who spend their whole day in classrooms.