PDA

View Full Version : honda rust

tegdream
06-02-2003, 05:28 PM
hmm the quarter panel off course....hmm the ridge that bends towards the inside of the car is rusted and the first 2 inch on the body is sorta starting but will be able to be sanded...how much would a bondo job vs. cut + weld job cost?

benyl
06-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Why do all hondas rust there?

jdmakkord
06-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I heard from a body shop, that the fenders are all fine and dandy, untill honda shoves the clip that holds the bumper on into the fender. This chips the paint and primer, and eventually leads to rust. Not to mention that the honda inner fenders are notorious for holding water.

shadowz
06-03-2003, 12:26 AM
Plus I heard that honda didnt change the type of metal they were using until 96 so most you see older than that have either rusted out or started to rust

^SkylinE^
06-03-2003, 01:04 AM
I HATE RUST! Well i got the rear quarter panels qouted and its 500$ a side to buy them i was gonna cut and weld my self....eventually BLAAAAA!!!

eur0
06-03-2003, 01:32 AM
i have a 91 thats rust free except from a chip on the door, and then i have a crx thats ... well yea

choweyt3t4
06-04-2003, 02:14 PM

have you noticed that older 240 's seem to have alot less rust than hondas of the same year? i think its cause honda uses really thin sheet metal, i dunno if its to save weight or just to save money on metal or not:dunno:

Altezza
06-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Partly also has to do with the rubber strip they use on the inside to protect the sheet metal "lip" (where the welds are) from the elements. Once that rubber strip starts to degrade (which is pretty quick and easy), water, salt, and grime gets in there. By the time you notice anything, you're out of luck. Also, the drain for the sunroof is in the bottom corner of that area as well.

szw
06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
its JDM rust

legendboy
06-04-2003, 02:59 PM
on the older honda's they used a thin black foam to seal the quarters to the rest of the body on the inside. This crap held the water in and the chit rusted. I'm just getting my car painted and there were little rust spots on the corners. After grinding it out there was big spot missing so we had to weld in new metal. Lots of work!

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/legend88/paint/MVC-002X.JPG

88CRX
06-04-2003, 06:49 PM
hey legendboy who is that did your body work.... im having trouble finding someone that will do rust repair....

method
06-04-2003, 07:27 PM
all sorts of cars have some stupid design that's like a rust trap.

ae86 has crappy sheet metal and a little lip around the fenders that would trap rust like nothing.