PDA

View Full Version : Sub box placement

HiSpec
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a 98 hatchback, I was wondering which is the best way (thinking SQ) to place a sub box in my hatchback?

1) In the spare wheel well
2) In the corner (either passenger or driver side)
3) Leaning against the rear seat

Thanks

EnRich
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Dont replace your spare man... Whatcha gonna do when you get a flat?

HiSpec
03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I thought about that point. I was debating between keep my trunk space, or keep my tire.

I guess having it in the corner will still conserve some trunk space.

ercchry
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
i find that my sub goes where ever it wants to im my trunk, i really have to bolt that thing down...

Graham_A_M
03-27-2007, 02:55 PM
^ please do, I had my sub box lose like that and the corner of it punched an outwards dent on the side of my old blue MX6. It cost $400 to have it redone/repainted... not cool :thumbsdow

wrxer1
03-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Facing towards the cabin for SQ
Facing towards the rear for more boomy bass.

Canmorite
03-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Aren't hatchbacks design beneficial to having a sub(s) rather then sticking them in a trunk sound wise?

f150mikey060
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
if you are only going for sq...why not just glass a sealed box into the corner to conserve space

Graham_A_M
03-27-2007, 11:22 PM
^ you mean a bandpass enclosure? Avoid those at all costs, horrid SQ and Horrid SPL. They just "shake the car" thats all they have going for them, instead face the subs towards the back of the car, that'll make a great difference. :thumbsup:

HuMz
03-27-2007, 11:51 PM
In my HB ive had tried it most ways but the best I found was against the rear seat facing back (towards the rear bumper)

GTS Jeff
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ you mean a bandpass enclosure? Avoid those at all costs, horrid SQ and Horrid SPL. They just "shake the car" thats all they have going for them, instead face the subs towards the back of the car, that'll make a great difference. :thumbsup: No, he means a sealed enclosure, which is the polar opposite of a bandpass. When he said "glass it into the corner" he meant FIBREglass it into a corner so that it is flush, out of the way, and designed well for sq.

mo_money2supe
03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure, but do EK's have that extra space right behind the spare that looks like it's large enough for a 12"? I'm referring to the area between the spare and the bumper.

But if not, would you guys recommend using that space for a sub? I'm thinking of building a box housing just a single 10" probably and then building a fake floor board to cover it and the spare. Would SQ be affected by that? Or is it still better to just have a separate box floating around the trunk?

HiSpec
03-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
if you are only going for sq...why not just glass a sealed box into the corner to conserve space

Fiberglass box usually are permanent to the location I assume? If i ever need to change my tail lights bulb then i'm stuck because placing it in the rear corner will cover the tail lights bulb cover. Unless fiberglass box are moveable.

wrxer1
03-28-2007, 01:00 AM
If you have a box, I think the only logical answer is to try out each position for few days and let your ears tell you.
If not, get a nice custom box made that is matched exactly to the specs of your sub. A properly built sealed enclosure will go a long way towards your quest for SQ.

HiSpec
03-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by wrxer1
If you have a box, I think the only logical answer is to try out each position for few days and let your ears tell you.
If not, get a nice custom box made that is matched exactly to the specs of your sub. A properly built sealed enclosure will go a long way towards your quest for SQ.

A box is the only moveable solution I assume. Since custom fiberglass enclosures are pretty much permanent to be set at one place.

f150mikey060
03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Fiberglass box usually are permanent to the location I assume? If i ever need to change my tail lights bulb then i'm stuck because placing it in the rear corner will cover the tail lights bulb cover. Unless fiberglass box are moveable.

if done right you could remove it quite easily to gain access to the tail lights.

and no, by no means did i mean bandpass. and btw, a properly built bandpass (not some shit prefab) will sound good and get loud.

HiSpec
03-31-2007, 01:04 AM

if done right you could remove it quite easily to gain access to the tail lights.

and no, by no means did i mean bandpass. and btw, a properly built bandpass (not some shit prefab) will sound good and get loud.

ahh ic... i've always thought those "permanent" custom enclosure are set, and to remove them is a big job.

crazedmodder
03-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

ahh ic... i've always thought those "permanent" custom enclosure are set, and to remove them is a big job.

Nah, as long as you don't build something that takes up the whole trunk you'll be able to move it. The only thing is if you build a custom enclosure it most likely won't fit anywhere else nicely, but it should be fine to move around. I don't know how good the spare tire well is for SQ, but if you really want to use it then chuck the spare, put your sub in there and get a tire repair kit+inflation thing from canadian tire (same idea as what the BMW Ms have) http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443276876&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672438&bmUID=1175368932187
in case the link doesn't work properly:

Airman Tire Repair Kit

$49.99

Product #09-5065-8
Airman Tire Repair Kit combines a powerful 12V air compressor with Dunlop sealant to effectively seal a tire puncture
A tire can be repaired in about five minutes by following six easy steps
A repaired tire can be driven up to 300 km at a maximum speed of 80 km/hr
Easy to use and is a safe alternative to using a spare tire or waiting for roadside assistance
Air compressors can be used for all inflation needs (tires, bicycle tires, air mattresses, sporting equipment), 2 adapters included for sport equipement, balls and one high volume accelarator
Rapid 12V Air Compressor with Dunlop Tire Sealant

I was looking at that myself, haven't gotten it yet so I don't know how well they work though.

f150mikey060
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
personally, after installing a new head unit in my buiddies integra and hearing the two 8" jl w3's that are glassed into his wheel well....i would glass you sub into the wheel well (sounds amazing for two 8's and is quite loud). however if you do carry a lot of stuff in your trunk your best bet would be to do a custom fit fiberglass enclosure in the corner. it probably wouldnt sit well anywhere else then the place it is moulded into..but i dont see why you would want to move it anyways. unless you need to move it to carry some stuff which in that case just take it right out for.

stevo 27
03-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i find that my sub goes where ever it wants to im my trunk, i really have to bolt that thing down...

strap it down. I flew over some rail way tracks in my old car and it
smashed into the truck lid and it popped open lucky i didnt lose the subs on the road hahah :rofl:

HiSpec
04-06-2007, 03:39 AM
personally, after installing a new head unit in my buiddies integra and hearing the two 8" jl w3's that are glassed into his wheel well....i would glass you sub into the wheel well (sounds amazing for two 8's and is quite loud). however if you do carry a lot of stuff in your trunk your best bet would be to do a custom fit fiberglass enclosure in the corner. it probably wouldnt sit well anywhere else then the place it is moulded into..but i dont see why you would want to move it anyways. unless you need to move it to carry some stuff which in that case just take it right out for.

instead of doing a custom fit fiberglass enclosure, can't I just get a box built and bolt it down in the corner?

hifiguy
04-06-2007, 11:36 AM
yes, you can bolt a sub box in the corner of your trunk. I assume everyone is refering to the fibre glass enclosure in hopes of saving your trunk space, or else why remove the spare tire to flush subs into the floor, if space was not a concern to begin with?
Nice tight bass, fire sealed sub in box towards rear seat. Deep louder bottom end, fire ported box towards rear of trunk. Choice of music and sound pressure preference will determine best location. Experiment like everyone else suggests. The quality of the subs, the box design, and associated electronics all play factors in the end result.