PDA

View Full Version : Soarer or Jdm MR2

Myers
03-27-2007, 10:58 PM
i just want to hear from people out there, who have either one of these cars.. and what you have to say about both of them!

i realise the soarer is alot bigger, but i only ever use 2 seats anyways.. i am really talking about performance.

also cost of repairs.. if something goes wrong on the soarer i guess i have to go to the lexus and get the parts etc = lots more money than toyota....

thanks

CelicaST-162
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Soarer will be more comfortable to drive, faster etc. However if you need engine parts, or need repair it might be a bigger hastle because dealerships dont have 1JZ-GTE manuals.

MR2 will be fun to drive, parts and repairs will be easier because they are sold here, so that's a plus there.

So the choice is yours....

BokCh0y
03-27-2007, 11:25 PM
i love both. the styling, the performance...they both rock.

i have an IS and parts and maintenance via Lexus is a bitch but you still can get parts and maint via Toyota so you do save some dough there.

i also have an MR2, parts and maintenance are cheaper but still pricey....it's an MR2!!!!! Plus i can't drive it in the winter.

if you get the MR you will need a winter car and realistically you can only drive the MR2 between May-ish to October, November if it doesn't snow.

Redlyne_mr2
03-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Soarer if you wear Lacoste shirts...mr2 if you wear those free tshirts that come in a box of castrol.

thinmyster
03-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Soarer if you wear Lacoste shirts...mr2 if you wear those free tshirts that come in a box of castrol.

tru story.

DonJuan
03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

That analogy works with alot of cars!

clem24
03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Someting like 3,500lbs vs. 2,800lbs? Soarers are all about cushy rides. You really have to tune the hell out of them. Getting a turbo? Why not consider an SC400 and swap? I just think a lot of ppl regret JDMs and RHDs after they've driven them for a bit (plus the fact that a lot of them look good in pictures but are beat to hell when they show up).

jdmXSI
03-28-2007, 11:11 AM
[i] I just think a lot of ppl regret JDMs and RHDs after they've driven them for a bit (plus the fact that a lot of them look good in pictures but are beat to hell when they show up). [/B]

There ha not been one day i have regreted owning a JDM car, there fun to drive, and my car was MINT when it came, 42,000 origonal kms!

Good luck!

03ozwhip
03-28-2007, 01:04 PM
i love my MR2, ive never driven the Soraer, but its a sweet ride too. and i have lacoste shirts, i dont drive a Soarer. im not cool anymore am i? go with the MR2 you wont be disappointed.

Myers
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
ha, i have plenty of lacoste shirts... so what hidden costs are there to importing, i just moved from england, and have no idea really what your laws are out here.. i realise there is a 15yr rule, you have to get it inspected and what not.. but say a car costs you 3-4gs out there... after you get it here and what not, how much is it gonna cost you?

cheers

T-Dubbs
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
soarer is a more refined and classy.
mr2 is more of a real sports car.

u cant compare apples to oranges
they are in two totally different classes

but i love my soarer, i find the Mr2's , wayyyy too small for my liking

but to each their own!

Annoyingrob
03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
dealerships dont have 1JZ-GTE manuals.
Just 1JZ-GTE consultants ;)

haha, inside joke.

03ozwhip
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
the mR2 is small im about 6' and it does get a little rough to get in and out, and you can feel the bumps quite a bit and when lowered ALOT. but ya its a sports car and thats what happens, i still love it and i think you should get one :D

japancar
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
We exported both for Canadian clients. Personally, I like the Soarer better. Its larger and although the seats in the rear don't have much leg-room, you "can" fit four into one (or a lot more if you're nuts).

If I had a choice, and I've driven both, I'd go for a Soarer as a daily driver, or MR-2 for a fun weekend car.

The Soarers are hot in the UK and Oceania right now, but they usually go for 1994+. So, for the moment, the main demand is coming from Canada.

R!zz0
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Dont' mean to robb your thread: Are RHD cars hard to drive?

japancar
04-02-2007, 11:08 PM
In Japan they're not!...:nut:

In Canada, some people say they don't like making left turns, and drive-thrus are a pain. Other than that, I've not heard of any problems.

As time goes on, with more and more on the road, other drivers are getting used to them being on the road.

R!zz0
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by japancar

As time goes on, with more and more on the road, other drivers are getting used to them being on the road.

I thought the canadian government was going to ban them?

CelicaST-162
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Just 1JZ-GTE consultants ;)

haha, inside joke.

haha, there when you need them!

03ozwhip
04-03-2007, 07:59 AM
IMO RHD cars for me are easier to drive, but it does take a little getting use to when shifting with the left hand and you cant see cars coming when trying to turn left like Japancar said. i like it better mostly.

Steven.
04-03-2007, 04:06 PM

Oh wow how true it is.

The Soarer and MR-2 are very different cars and it depends on your needs. Personally, I don't autocross and my car won't likely ever see a track so my SC400 works well for me.The soarer/SC is definately more of a luxury car. It is very comfortable as a DD and has just about every option you could want. Even though there's a backseat, it's not of much use. I've had 3 people in the car and wouldn't want to try and fit in 4. If you wan't a luxury/performance package under $10k, its hard to beat a Soarer. Yes its big and a little heavy, but I like what I drive too much to let it bother me (although it would be nice if my car had the 1JZ...).

On the other hand, if you want a lighter car thats more performance-oriented Go with the MR-2. I always though the MR layout was cool too...