PDA

View Full Version : Experience importing US car that is more than 15 years old?

GTS Jeff
03-28-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm looking into importing a car from the United States that is more than 15 years old. From my understanding, it is exempt from the RIV program, but I am still foggy on what exactly needs to be done. Has anyone here done this before?

I'm basically wondering what forms, documents, fees, and procedures I need to be aware of. Thanks.

sputnik
03-28-2007, 08:31 AM
You've been here how long and arent familiar with this thread?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

R-Audi
03-28-2007, 08:39 AM
STFA Noob! he he he...

benyl
03-28-2007, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I'm looking into importing a car from the United States that is more than 15 years old. From my understanding, it is exempt from the RIV program, but I am still foggy on what exactly needs to be done. Has anyone here done this before?

I'm basically wondering what forms, documents, fees, and procedures I need to be aware of. Thanks.

Probably everything but RIV.

So you have to get the letter from the OEM. Get an inspection. Tell the US that you are exporting, etc...

me&you
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Probably everything but RIV.

So you have to get the letter from the OEM. Get an inspection. Tell the US that you are exporting, etc...

No OEM letter on the car I imported last month.

Everything else is nearly the same. Also, no RIV inspection or AC tax, but OOP is still required, duty paid, etc...

tentacles
03-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Isn't the OEM letter only a RIV rule? Same for bi-lingual airbag stickers.

mx73someday
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I don't see why you would get away with not paying the AC tax, we pay AC tax on all the 15 year old cars from Japan.

Weapon_R
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
All you need to do is contact the border at Whitelash Montana. If its a US car, you'll only pay GST. Drive it over and your set.

GTS Jeff
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
You've been here how long and arent familiar with this thread?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

Pffft...don't question my search-fu. That thread only applies to new US cars, not ones older than 15 years:

...it is exempt from the RIV program...

Originally posted by me&you

No OEM letter on the car I imported last month.

Everything else is nearly the same. Also, no RIV inspection or AC tax, but OOP is still required, duty paid, etc...

Would you mind detailing the exact procedure for me please? Did you have to alert US customs that you were exporting a car out of the US?

Originally posted by Weapon_R
All you need to do is contact the border at Whitelash Montana. If its a US car, you'll only pay GST. Drive it over and your set.

The car is sold in the US, but made in Japan, so I think it would have duty. I've been having trouble finding the rate. Do you know if the car can only pass at certain border crossings and not all of them?

Also, do anyone know if a modified car is allowed to pass? I would hate to get stopped at the border for a swapped engine, or even something small like coilovers.

Weapon_R
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
No they don't ask you about modifications. The rate is 6.1% duty for vehicles built outside of North America and 6% tax. I believe its calculated at Purchase Price + duty and then GST on the combined total.

No need for anything except this form to be sent to the border 72 hours in advance:

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/vehicle_exports/

It's either the commercial or personal vehicle, depending on what you get. On that form, you'll designate the border crossing you are going to cross, and if theres a problem they will alert you.

Insure it before you leave, take a license plate with you, and bring it back. With that form above, you'll also have to include a photocopy of the title (signed by the seller releasing his ownership) and a copy of the bill of sale (the one from the registries works fine).

GTS Jeff
03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Wicked, thanks.

hjr
03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
the vehicle still needs an opp does it not?

Annoyingrob
03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by hjr
the vehicle still needs an opp does it not?
Yes it will, it came from out of province, hence out of province inspection.

As for the letter from the OEM, it is not necessary at all in this case. They need it to verify the age of the vehicle, but they can verify it with the VIN on a US car.

95EagleAWD
03-29-2007, 01:26 AM
Jeff, there's a post of mine in the Archives at 780tuners.com detailing what you need for a 15+ year old car. It's called HOW TO IMPORT A CAR FROM THE USA or something like that.

If you have more questions, let me know.

GTS Jeff
03-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Thanks Ryan, from your post, it all seems pretty straightforward.

95EagleAWD
03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks Ryan, from your post, it all seems pretty straightforward.

No problem.

Whatcha bringin' up?

GTS Jeff
03-30-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

No problem.

Whatcha bringin' up? I'm in the process of finding a Corolla that has never seen rust. I'm looking in BC, but the pickin's are slim. So I'm also looking in Southeast US.

benyl
03-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm in the process of finding a Corolla that has never seen rust. I'm looking in BC, but the pickin's are slim. So I'm also looking in Southeast US.

Texas or Arizona... Florida is too humid.

GTS Jeff
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Whoops! I meant Southwest..Arizona, California, Nevada...