PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Restuarant

cj_1117
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
My friend and I was thinking to try out some japanese food in calgary, any suggestions?

I've heard that Hana Sushi in downtown is not bad and Misai in NE is not bad either.

Weapon_R
03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Shikiji is my favorite place. It's quiet, the servers speak english, and the food is great.

clem24
03-28-2007, 02:50 PM
There are *HOW* many thread on this?!?

SilverGS
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Towa Sushi - But it may depend on the chef. Sometimes is amazing others its only okay

+1 Hana Sushi

ercchry
03-28-2007, 02:58 PM
if you are looking for mainly sushi check this thread out

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/147419/your-favorite-place-for-sushi/

Artega
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
FujiYama has been surprisingly good for me

I usually order the Sushi deluxe which has some exotic selection of sushi
their YakiSoba is good too

not bad of a place

Apparently you wouldn't want to go at lunch time
cuz it'll be a long ass wait

guessboi
03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I actually think Globe Fish sushi on 14st is better than Towa. :D

INITIALD
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
I actually think Globe Fish sushi on 14st is better than Towa. :D

Globe Fish is brutal.
Shikiji :thumbsup:

C4S
03-28-2007, 05:03 PM
If you want best .. GlobeFish .. :thumbsup: fair price too .. but not a fancy place to sit ..

Towa .. Hana .. are good too ..

Zipeng sushi bar on 1 ave? (spell right?) is very good too, but same as Globe fish, very small, long waiting time ... :dunno:

Again .. Calgary is not a good place for food .. :banghead:

Zokambaa
05-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Misai sucks rancid elephant anus...
The place is run by chinese and when I was in there, the service was slow as hell and the so called sushi Chefs were snot nosed kids who had no idea how to make sushi... let alone use a knife... The place wasn't busy and it also took the fu(k3rs over 30 minutes to finish some the remaining 1/3 of a party tray and make my simple order.... I've never waited more than 15 minutes in any sushi place yet so this pissed me off when I was in a hurry too... You would think with these dorks working so damn slow, they could at least form decent balls of rice and make decent cuts of the fish... anyway I almost walked out of the place... come to think of it... I should have....

here is an example... I had some of the typical tuna.. I think it had been sitting out for a while as it wasn't really cold like most places I go to... and the fucking thing looked like a dog's tongue flopped over a tiny ball of rice which fell apart with the slightest touch... they must have put less than a teaspoon of rice under some almost slimey slab of what was supposed to be tuna... the damn thing was about 2 1/2 inches wide and about 3 inches long if not bigger.... put it this way.. they could have made 3 normal sized servings with it..

they did the same with the squid and the octopus but didn't make the serving sizes big this time... they did however put the tiniest amount of rice under it... I think they were trying to hide the fact that they were ripping you off on the fish.... while I got a few huge assed pieces of cheap, old fish(probably to use it up), over all I got less sushi for the price I paid than I would anywhere else

and none of it was really very fresh.. it didn't stink yet... but it was close..

I'd say this is the worst sushi place I've been to in town and the price was very expensive for what I ordered...
everywhere else it would have been almost $15 worth... here I got less sushi over all, it wasn't fresh, it was made by useless chinese kids who had no idea what sushi is and it cost me $22 before gst...

AVOID Misai.... I acctually got better sushi at the CoOp.. (yeah I felt like risking a few bucks and my stomach and got one of those little trays at the CoOp)

spyce
05-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I say Towa.
Spicy salmon ftmfw :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
05-18-2007, 02:01 PM
And hear's the obligatory "If you want good sushi you've got to go to Vancouver or Japan" comment. Although I'm pretty sure if you did a blind taste test with a sampling from each of the above mentioned restaurants most of the sushi snobs couldn't tell you which place they were from anyways......:D

FiveFreshFish
05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Zokambaa
Misai sucks rancid elephant anus...

The only good thing about Misai is their udon noodle soup.

They also refuse to take plastic if your bill is under $25.

GQBalla
05-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Sushi Boat!

eb0i
05-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Yamato or Towa :drool:

Zokambaa
05-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Oddly enough.. when I have been to a Richmond Rd sushi place... I think their name is SUSHI HOUSE RICHMOND (it is beside Canadian Tire on Richmond Rd and Sarcee Tr) it has been 90% good... They provide a decent amount for the money, the size is about right for the pieces and it has been pretty fresh every time I have been there... The ambience leaves something to be desired.. but I generally do "Take Away" when I go there anyway. They allso have a frequent buyer card kind of like Subway... you get a stamp for every $5 you buy and when you fill the card you get a discount... I forget how much.. but it isn't bad

The only bad experience I had was when they hired some greedy chinese chick who refused to give me the right amount of stamps for my card... then when I ordered and then another time the sushi chef gave me an extra couple pieces.. ( I think he had some pieces left over from a large order he made before me....) she tried to charge me for them even though they weren't on my order card... the chef had to tell her to give it to me on the house... Anyway.. I don't think the chinese woman works there anymore.... and it seems most of the people working in the place speak Japanese.... I think they had a korean guy working there for a while too... but didn't seen him when I was in there the last few times.

Anyway I go there because the quality has been decent, the prices not too bad, and It is close to home.. and not to mention a Japanese guy runs the place...

dragonone
07-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

The only good thing about Misai is their udon noodle soup.

They also refuse to take plastic if your bill is under $25.

i had dinner there last night and the bill was $150 w/o alcohol! (2 ppl)
i guess the worst part was i wasn't full, and it did not taste fresh at all