PDA

View Full Version : G35x vs G35?

accordboi_02
03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Question - looking into getting a G35 sedan - and want to know - would the extra $$$ be worth it for the G35x so I get AWD? I do do a fair amount of driving year-round, so I need reliable handling come winter time.

Or would it be better to go with the regular G35 and get winter tires - how does the TCS work on them?

Hope some of you guys can help me out, thanks! :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, AWD will make a night and day difference. An AWD car with summer tires will outlaunch a RWD car with winter tires and TCS. But of course, even with AWD, you'll want winter tires so you can corner and stop.

benyl
03-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Well, AWD will make a night and day difference. An AWD car with summer tires will outlaunch a RWD car with winter tires and TCS. But of course, even with AWD, you'll want winter tires so you can corner and stop.

I don't know if I would go that far.

With the STi's stock RE070, you don't go anywhere if there is snow. that being said, w/ AWD you "could" get away with All seasons, but I would buy winter tires anyway.

Some people have said that the G35 is a handfull in the winter, even with winter tires and TCS. Mind you, the person I am thinking of had a supercharger.

Speed_69
03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Some people have said that the G35 is a handfull in the winter, even with winter tires and TCS. Mind you, the person I am thinking of had a supercharger.
Really? i read an article in a magazine somewhere that the G35 is actually really good in the winter provided you get winter tires and that people no longer have to worry about driving a RWD in the winter with it. :dunno:

Mangina
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
If you've ever driven an awd in the snow, your decision will be easy.

euro_racer
03-29-2007, 01:21 PM
the g35x is nice, only downfall is that they only come in automatic :(

Orbie
03-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Hmm...sounds very much like someone on this board...

Speed_69 is on the right point with what he read in the article. For some reason AWD has grown to this phenomena where everyone thinks you need it to get around in Calgary winters. Yes AWD can only help your situation in the winter but that's not to say that a regular G35 can't get around easily as well. If people realized that maybe there wouldn't be the ridiculous abundance of SUV's on the road.

Take it from someone who's driven through a few Calgary winters in a G35, it is FAR from a handful. It easily does better then the FWD Accord I had before. You definitely need winter tires, I think that's a necessity with this car. After that the electronannies basically keep you in control. Most people I've heard that think this car is tough to control in the winter are either driving on the Performance Michelins or are driving the car like you would in the summer. Like ANY car you should be taking it nice and easy driving in winter conditions, if you do that and you primarily drive in the city you are fine. The TCS works great, basically helping you retain traction on slippery surfaces. It's gotten me up some slippery steep hills before. The VDC is also good for preventing spin outs, if you hit an ice patch on a turn while on the gas it will usually prevent the back end from kicking out.

All that being said if you have the extra dough, don't mind the premium for the G35x and want to go balls out in the winter anytime then go for that. But if you don't mind having all your fun in the summer and taking it a bit easier in the winter (since we all know how many days snow actually accumulates and sticks around in Calgary) then the regular will suit you fine.

redline
03-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

Hmm...sounds very much like someone on this board...

Speed_69 is on the right point with what he read in the article. For some reason AWD has grown to this phenomena where everyone thinks you need it to get around in Calgary winters. Yes AWD can only help your situation in the winter but that's not to say that a regular G35 can't get around easily as well. If people realized that maybe there wouldn't be the ridiculous abundance of SUV's on the road.

Take it from someone who's driven through a few Calgary winters in a G35, it is FAR from a handful. It easily does better then the FWD Accord I had before. You definitely need winter tires, I think that's a necessity with this car. After that the electronannies basically keep you in control. Most people I've heard that think this car is tough to control in the winter are either driving on the Performance Michelins or are driving the car like you would in the summer. Like ANY car you should be taking it nice and easy driving in winter conditions, if you do that and you primarily drive in the city you are fine. The TCS works great, basically helping you retain traction on slippery surfaces. It's gotten me up some slippery steep hills before. The VDC is also good for preventing spin outs, if you hit an ice patch on a turn while on the gas it will usually prevent the back end from kicking out.

All that being said if you have the extra dough, don't mind the premium for the G35x and want to go balls out in the winter anytime then go for that. But if you don't mind having all your fun in the summer and taking it a bit easier in the winter (since we all know how many days snow actually accumulates and sticks around in Calgary) then the regular will suit you fine.

:werd:

I drove my g35 sport RWD every day this winter without problems. I have winter tires and it is a must.

GTS Jeff
03-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I don't know if I would go that far.

With the STi's stock RE070, you don't go anywhere if there is snow. that being said, w/ AWD you "could" get away with All seasons, but I would buy winter tires anyway.

Way back in the day, Benny had no trouble pulling away from me on icy roads. He was riding on some bald summers with his Audi Quattro and I had studded winter tires and an LSD in my Corolla.

max_boost
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
The beauty of AWD, at an icy intersection while everyone is spinning their way trying to get traction, you can get ahead of the pack right away. ;)

Mind you after driving RWD and AWD all winter, I don't really prefer one over the other.

KGB
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I purchased an 03 G35 5spd auto this January and The TCS does an awesome job even on marginal allseason tires, as long as you have winter tires the RWD is fine, and fun if you decide to turn it off now and then :thumbsup: allredy thinking about upgrading to an 05 model next winter, great cars......

sneek
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
The G35X is AWD with a RWD bias right?? So most of the time the car should behave like a RWD car?

syeve
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
If you've ever driven an awd in the snow, your decision will be easy.

I would never buy a car for the ~20-30 days a year there is any accumulation of snow on the road...and remember, all that acceleration can give you a false sense of traction, you will still have to stop with the rest of us :)

If your talking about a STi where the traction advantage is noticable even on clear roads thats different.

I would buy a car that will suit you for the 330 days a year the roads are clear (main roads of coarse)

EDIT - I drove my 350 everyday this winter with winter tires, no problems

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2007, 07:27 AM
I took a RWD G35 to the costco parking lot in the middle of winter, floored it and whipped the steering wheel around and I did not slip/skid/fishtail even once. The car will only let enogh power to the wheels providing they don't spin, and the stability control keeps you in a straight line by braking appropriate wheels. This was all on all seasons. As said above, for the few days in the year we actually have snow on the main roads, AWD may not be worth the extra money to you. I've also never owned winter tires in my life (even when I had a 2wd car) and I've never been stuck, never had traction problems, never gotten into an accident, nothing like that. If you can drive responsibly I see no need for winter tires, from my experience anyways - however I do agree they will allow you to stop faster in emergency situations.

Test drive both, see if you can tell a difference on pavement, because thats where 99% of your driving will be on. Also, if you want a manual, just pick up the RWD one and you will have no problems even on all seasons.

GTS Jeff
03-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I've also never owned winter tires in my life (even when I had a 2wd car) and I've never been stuck, never had traction problems, never gotten into an accident, nothing like that. If you can drive responsibly I see no need for winter tires, from my experience anyways - however I do agree they will allow you to stop faster in emergency situations. The only people who don't see the value in winter tires are the people who have never used them/people that don't care for added performance.

Sure, all-seasons will "get you by," and be "good enough," for your average don't-know-shit-about-cars schmoe, but any TRUE car enthusiast will demand the best performance from his ride, which means having dedicated winter tires for maximum winter performance, and dedicated summer tires for maximum summer performance.

Having 2 sets of tires won't cost any more either, since both sets are being worn half as fast, only being driven on for half the year at a time.

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2007, 05:03 PM
The only people who don't see the value in winter tires are the people who have never used them/people that don't care for added performance.

Sure, all-seasons will "get you by," and be "good enough," for your average don't-know-shit-about-cars schmoe, but any TRUE car enthusiast will demand the best performance from his ride, which means having dedicated winter tires for maximum winter performance, and dedicated summer tires for maximum summer performance.

Having 2 sets of tires won't cost any more either, since both sets are being worn half as fast, only being driven on for half the year at a time.

I drive my car in the snow very rarely and only when I have to, I can't afford $1000 of tires for the 2-3 days I drive in the snow. Sure, they will last forever being used only a few times a year but it is just not worth it for me. I am far more worried about the other drivers.

GTS Jeff
03-30-2007, 11:10 PM

I drive my car in the snow very rarely and only when I have to, I can't afford $1000 of tires for the 2-3 days I drive in the snow. Sure, they will last forever being used only a few times a year but it is just not worth it for me. I am far more worried about the other drivers. Oh come on, think from different angles here Markie; a good set of winter tires will improve the performance of your car, allowing you to avoid the drivers you're worried about. And again, it snows a lot more than 3 days a year in Calgary, so I guess you are just avoiding driving on snowy days?

Again, I can't think of a single true car enthusiast who doesn't love the experience of driving in the winter, where the limits of adhesion are much lower, therefore allowing the driver to drive at the limits all over the place. Avoiding fun-filled winter driving is something that your average don't-know-shit-about-cars schmoe would do.

Mitsu3000gt
03-31-2007, 01:33 AM
Oh come on, think from different angles here Markie; a good set of winter tires will improve the performance of your car, allowing you to avoid the drivers you're worried about. And again, it snows a lot more than 3 days a year in Calgary, so I guess you are just avoiding driving on snowy days?

Again, I can't think of a single true car enthusiast who doesn't love the experience of driving in the winter, where the limits of adhesion are much lower, therefore allowing the driver to drive at the limits all over the place. Avoiding fun-filled winter driving is something that your average don't-know-shit-about-cars schmoe would do.

Winter tires isn't going to stop someone from rear ending me. Anyways I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying if we just got a huge dump of snow, and if I don't have to drive somewhere, I don't. Since that happens very rarely, and the next day the main roads are plowed to the pavement, it turns out that I rarely drive in the snow.

GTS Jeff
03-31-2007, 01:40 AM

Winter tires isn't going to stop someone from rear ending me. Anyways I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying if we just got a huge dump of snow, and if I don't have to drive somewhere, I don't. Since that happens very rarely, and the next day the main roads are plowed to the pavement, it turns out that I rarely drive in the snow. Geez Markie, I told you to think from different angles! When I see someone about to rear end me, I step on it. With winter tires, I'll get going a lot faster than without. Incidentally, I also tend to leave a huge gap between me and the car in front for this purpose.

I'm also saying that real car enthusiasts look forward to huge dumps of snow so they can go out enjoy driving at the limits on a different surface. They certainly don't sit at home sulking. Your comments about how useless winter tires are might apply to most people who aren't into cars, but not here on Beyond where most people are proud to call themselves true enthusiasts.