PDA

View Full Version : well, i need some help.

ecstasy_civic
06-03-2003, 02:05 PM
im the most serious about buying a bike as i have ever been. it just makes sense for me to pay $1000/yr vs. $6500 yr.
my question is for you guys who have bikes, where should i goto to take my lessons/test. and should i be buying a bike from a dealership like blackfoot or bow cycle or buy privately?

is there anything else major i should consider other than the normal things? like any hidden costs? maitenance? safety? gas?

id really appreciate the help.

thnx

Dave P
06-03-2003, 02:31 PM
www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com

I would suggest a used bike before a new one

Khyron
06-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Find a used bike at a dealer (at least you'll know it's safe). Any of the 2 day driving schools is probably good - I enjoyed A-Driving school. They fill up fast.

A new ZX6R was 12G when I was shopping - I got mine with 1200 kms on the clock for 7000. Big difference. I wish I'd bought one that had a bit of damage (price drops REAL big) because your first bike is going to drop sooner or later anyway.

Khyron

ecstasy_civic
06-03-2003, 03:27 PM
ya i was looking into an older like 95-97 cbr. im just trying to convince my mom and my gf not to kick me out if i get one lol.

seriously, im an aggressive driver, do you think that will help me or hurt me if i ride a bike?

Khyron
06-03-2003, 03:34 PM
You screw up being an idiot, you die or end up in a wheel chair. That's a nice thought that can slow you down. However, bike drivers need to be assertive if not aggressive. It's you against everyone else and if you are in a bad spot you have to get on the gas and get out.

Everyone has diff opinions about the bike size, I say anything under a 600 would be fun for awhile but would be annoying especially if you have a passenger - and you'd end up upgrading. 600 is plenty fast for me, I've had it 3 years and have no intent to buy a bigger one.

Khyron

Lambo Man
06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Can someof you guys tell me how much u pay for insurance, just so i can get an idea?

sml
06-03-2003, 06:37 PM
$800/yr

Khyron
06-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Rates just went up. Over 25, no collision but full theft (the expensive part) and liability - just under 600 a year. I think collision was another 200 but if I trash it that bad I'll have better things to worry about.

Edit: I think just basic liability is under 200 a year, but of course your bike would get jacked the next day.

Khyron

ecstasy_civic
06-04-2003, 01:26 AM
thnx for the help guys.

Ducati
02-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Costs: Consider the gear you will need. Helmets are between $250 for a reasonable Kevlar HJC all the way up to...the sky.
I paid $600 for my last silver Shoei. Many friends have $1000+ helmets. One guy I know paid $2300 for his Arai - some kind of Ben Bostrum Special or some such thing.

Jacket: Leather jacket used, $100. I recommend a Kevlar ballistic jacket as they double as rain gear and dont look as greasy as a cheap leather rebel-style jacket. The Joe Rocket jacket is about $300.00. It will do just fine.

You can get matching kevlar pants if you like. They will keep you dry, Cast: about $260.

Gloves: yeah, you can get cheapies for $15. that will work, but for $40 you can get a pair that is quite comfortable and yoiu wont feel the stitches like the cheapies. And the better gloves break in nicely.

Boots, Sure, you can ride in anything, but I recommend a bare minimum of a pair of engineer boots for $60. etter yet would be proper motorcycle boots as they have a patch for where the shifter hits the toe, and they are flexible enough to shift, are light and comfortable, and many are waterproof. Entry level price - about $125. Like gloves, the $250 boots will be better in the long run, as cheap boots and cheap gloves fall apart sooner.

Tires: if you use sporting compound, you will likely go through $350 a year. If you use touring compound, that same money will last almost twice as long. Dont get those cheap Chineese tires, like Cheng Shin's etc.

Then consider two or more oil & filter changes a year. Maybe a cable a year. Brake pads? A Battery?

Likwid_Fire
02-23-2004, 03:25 PM
too cool i've heard wonders about.

i took calgary safety council... they were pretty good.

as for cost... don't underestimate the cost of ridin a motorcycle. if insurance doesn't do it for ya, there's always gonna be tip-overs, scratches, dents, dings, mods you'll always want to do, safety gear, track school, long trips, etc etc

worth every $ tho :thumbsup:

RiCE-DaDDy
02-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Helmets: make sure its SNELL M2000 and you should be fine.

Gloves: Be cautious about this one cause not all gloves work. Many cheap ones will offer little to no protection at all. I've heard stories of gloves just shredding apart in a crash, offering no help whatsoever.

Boots: ankle high, NOT steel-toed

Jackets: get one with armor, leather is better

ecstasy_civic
02-27-2004, 04:34 PM
I really like the ICON stuff, sounds pretty safe too.

Neons4life
02-27-2004, 06:01 PM
here's what to think about

GEAR
helmet- nice ones start at 180, and go up to 340( I bought my KBC euro VR-1 for 340)

jacket-textile, don't ever bother getting, biggest waste of your dollars.

leather- look to spend about 350-550. I spent 500 for my Joe rocket Speedmaster(which is one of the nicest leathers to get.

ask yourself what you wanna do. any track stuff, drag race?? if so you need leather.

gloves-looking at 70-180, don't cheap out on gloves, they are a very important part of riding, you don't want cheapies, they'll fall apart, and top end ones have thicker leather way more padding, better protection.

pants- WASTE OF MONEY, if you can't stand getting a little wet on a rainy day then you shouldn't ride at all. But if you do buy some then get leather to match your jacket, textiles are a WASTE.

race boots- worthy for the great protection, but like you'll notice alot of people wear running shoes.

if you plan on any racing then you will need all the above helmet, gloves, leather jacket/pants, race boots

MAINTENANCE
this year on maintenance alone I will spend about 700 dollars.
I did
steel braided brake lines-$130
K&N filter-$90
brake fluid-$15
520 chain conversion-$280
oil-$50
spark plugs-$60
coolant-$55

just to name some stuff

this is what's needed, and it's alot of stuff

oil- every 5000 kms, about $48 to do
spark plugs- $40 every 15,000kms
air filter-$90 every 2 years
chain/sprockets-$280 every 18,000kms
tires-rear 250 every year
front 180 every 2 years
gas-$13 every 220 kms

and that's the tip of the iceberg.

MODS- skies the limit there, but keep in mind that modding a bike is WAY, WAY less than any car. maybe about $4000 there and that would cover almost everything imagineable.

INSURANCE-
looking at about 1000-3000 for full coverage, that will vary alot per person.

I have missed alot, but you'll get the idea.

I bought my bike thinking it's way cheaper than a car, but there's about 5 times the maintenance on a bike compared to a car.

ciao
James

Neons4life
02-27-2004, 06:03 PM
oh yeah, Icon looks good, but there's barely any armour there, very thin, and not even molded. and for the price you can get a way better jacket.

sorry to burst your bubble

method
02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
consequences of screwing up on a bike are way higher than in a car.

you can't be an 'aggressive driver' on a bike. be defensive, avoid accidents before they happen. <x-files> trust no one! </x-files> :D

Ducati
02-29-2004, 02:13 AM
"textiles are a WASTE"

Sorry, Neon - I dont agree. I have both; I have a leather Feldsheer one peice suit for when I used to race, but it is too awkward for street riding. It has lasted me 22 years, though, and saved my hide more than once. But its horrible in rain. Wet leather is Heavy and miserably clammy.

I use a two-peice Aerostitch suit (Kevlar/textile) that I have had since 1988 for day-to-day city and casual riding. It is light, comfortable, and WATERPROOF. I can wear my suit & tie under it and ride to work if I want. It has also saved my hide, and has stood up to a 120 kmh get-off better than the leathers did, showing barely any abrasion marks after sliding a hundred yards down Hwy 7 on my ass while my old Laverda spiralled around beside me on its case-savers. I was impressed. (with the suit, that is - not the old fart in the Mercury Marquis who cut me off)

Textile - especially good ones like Aerostitch - are a great value for your money, and you can walk around the boardwalk after your ride without looking like some sidewalk commando.

GorG
02-29-2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com

I would suggest a used bike before a new one

Right on thats where i'm goin in 3 weeks or 4, hey do you get your licence after the course or is that another place i'm thinkin of

RiCE-DaDDy
02-29-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
&quot;textiles are a WASTE&quot;

Sorry, Neon - I dont agree. I have both; I have a leather Feldsheer one peice suit for when I used to race, but it is too awkward for street riding. It has lasted me 22 years, though, and saved my hide more than once. But its horrible in rain. Wet leather is Heavy and miserably clammy.

I use a two-peice Aerostitch suit (Kevlar/textile) that I have had since 1988 for day-to-day city and casual riding. It is light, comfortable, and WATERPROOF. I can wear my suit &amp; tie under it and ride to work if I want. It has also saved my hide, and has stood up to a 120 kmh get-off better than the leathers did, showing barely any abrasion marks after sliding a hundred yards down Hwy 7 on my ass while my old Laverda spiralled around beside me on its case-savers. I was impressed. (with the suit, that is - not the old fart in the Mercury Marquis who cut me off)

Textile - especially good ones like Aerostitch - are a great value for your money, and you can walk around the boardwalk after your ride without looking like some sidewalk commando.
+1

Neons4life
02-29-2004, 12:03 PM
well too each their own, I have ownded a textile jacket for 2 riding seasons, and won't even think about wearing it anymore.

I also went down in my textile, and they hold up just fine.

But compare leather to textile, if you could choose one or the other, what would it be? just take a look around one day, go to Eau Claire, and see how many people have a textile, probably nobody will.

leather rules over all else, and take a look at the armour it comes with, way more superior over textile junk

Ducati
02-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Both are good. I would not part with either, and both have excellent crash protection. The Aerostitch siut has thermoplastic pads on the elbows, hips, knees, and a shoulders. The Feldshher didn't (perhaps because it is older) however I bought thermoplastic inserts for it and retrofit them. The stuff is great.

Leather rules *For You*. I like versatility and the freedom that even if I get caught in the rain I am not going to have a miserable ride. It is *the Ride* that is Important - not how cool I look, all decked out in $2200 worth of the latest leather boutique wear from Spyke ot Dainese.
I am not a poser. I am not saying you are either, but to me the practicality and usability of the Aerostitch make it preffered over my Feldsheer suit for every day riding.
I couldnt give a flying fuck what all the sidewalk commandos down on Robson street are wearing.

However, if I am riding with a certain group of agressive riders, and we are headed through the Cascades and the weather is certain to be perfect, I will wear my Feldsheer and a back protector.

ecstasy_civic
02-29-2004, 03:20 PM
ok so long and short of it,

which is going to protect me more??

leather sounds better quality, but textile seems more comfortable.

Ducati
02-29-2004, 03:25 PM
That pretty well sums it up. Eventually you will probably own both.
If I was to do it all over again I would get a good 2 peice Kevlar suit that zips together at the waist, and has crash protection, first. Then save up and get an exceptionally good fitting one peice leather suit for those fast rides.

Buy a Back Protector! You can use it with both. Built in back protectors are just not versatile and offer no advantages.

HillBilly
02-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life

this is what's needed, and it's alot of stuff

tires-rear 250 every year
front 180 every 2 years

I wish!! Depends on how you drive... The more aggressive the more tires you'll chew through.

My 'busa ate 4 rear tires last summer.

ecstasy_civic
02-29-2004, 03:38 PM
holy fuck!

well I like the look of the leather jackets, but I also like how much more flexibility I have with the textile.:dunno:

method
02-29-2004, 04:09 PM
if you dont feel comfortable riding in a leather jacket/suit, then dont. limiting your mobility is the last thing you want to do.

Ducati
02-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Hell, ride in a jean jacket with one of those body armour shirts underneath.
There is this mesh shirt sorta thing that has a built in back protector and elbow pads. That is my next purchase. $120.00!!
You can wear it under a jean jacket. When I go for a putt on my 33 year old 250cc bike I just wear an oiled Bellstaff and a period bowl helmet. I know that I can still get knocked off the little old bike, but I feel that I am safer on it and less likely to get involved in a spill. On my 888 that I have modified the shit out of over the past decade I need excellent protection, as 200 to 220 Kmh thru the mountains is not an uncommon occurence with us.

Buy the gear you need. Not the gear you want. That comes next year.

Tires: Yes, the Busa will eat tires like I munch wine-gums after smoking a fattie - but depending upon what you ride the tire issue changes. I get about 10,000 K out of a $300 rear Dunlop, and about 18000K out of a front Dunlop on my 888, even with some wild rides every now and then. Tires arent cheap.
My girlfriend rides a 3 year old Suzuki SV650 - an excellent little bike that is easily a match for an air-cooled Ducati 900cc - and she rides well. Her original set of tires was replaced last year with a set of Avons. She got two seasons out of the original tires, even though she can ride better than a lot of guys I know. The Avons are a little stickier...still, she will probably get at least an entire year out of trhe rear and maybe two out of the front.

And she looks great in a textile (New-style Bellstaff) riding suit.

Spend your money on good sport-touring tires the first year, and a set of good gloves and waterproof boots.
Buy the sticky gummy sport tires whan you have a couple seasons under your belt.
Get the leathers later, too. By that time you will know what your riding style is. If you decise that you are a cruiser rider, then you wont neeed a lot of that shit.

ecstasy_civic
02-29-2004, 10:59 PM
cool thanks alot guys.:thumbsup: :D

bikrbabe
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
totally buy from a dealership. There's the guarantee on the bikes, plus you can get so much more extras (like aftermarket warrantys etc.) and we get u people deals on gear 2. Go see lance and Mike at Too Cool. 202-0099. I took their course last year... they are awesome teachers. I learnt a ton of skills from them that I didn't learn on my own (or from my friends.... lol... don't learn from friends, they like to teach bad habits... or at least mine did).:burnout: :tongue: