PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere I can get good samosas without what the hell you doing here looks??

Gravy_83
03-31-2007, 04:34 PM
I want to know a place I can get good cheap samosas preferably in the south east. I went to Tandoori King in PineRidge last night and they they didn't want to come see what I wanted waited a few minutes then cleared my throat like 5 times still waited then said hello loudly into the kitchen to be told they don't have samosas that night even though they advertise them on their window so I bet they had some....so that being said anywhere's in the south east I can get samosa's without being looked at weirdly???
by the way no one try Tandoori King in pine ridge....service is awefull they can blow it out their asses....buisness is buisness...i guess they don't like selling their food to people....worse service i have ever gotten in a restaurant ever

Tik-Tok
03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Weird, is there a Samosa shortage in Calgary or something? Last week I was at Spice Hut in NW, and they said there didn't have any that day, it was 11:30am, I would find it hard to believe they sold out already.

toyboy88
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
there's a resturant that advertise's samosa's all the time..heard they were pretty good, can't remember the resturant name off the top of my head tho it's on the NW corner of 20th ave and centre street north...

there's is always samosa garden up in the NE, right beside sunridge mall (north end of parking lot) too....

:thumbsup:

Gravy_83
03-31-2007, 04:55 PM
I dunno I'm not racist but last night there was a few people in there and they all stopped talking when i walked in with my girlfriend and all stared at me the whole time i waited it was awkward

toyboy88
03-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
I dunno I'm not racist but last night there was a few people in there and they all stopped talking when i walked in with my girlfriend and all stared at me the whole time i waited it was awkward

which one?

Gravy_83
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Tandoori King. I love east indian food allthought I am quite the whity....but being of Acadian decent and being acadian myself I have eaten spicy food my whole life...So naturally samosas are tasty to me and they refused to serve me basicly. wether they had some or not they still took like 5 minutes to come help me and then were rude....

:thumbsdow to Tandoori King

TeamBestBud
03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Tandoori King. I love east indian food allthought I am quite the whity....but being of Acadian decent and being acadian myself I have eaten spicy food my whole life...So naturally samosas are tasty to me and they refused to serve me basicly. wether they had some or not they still took like 5 minutes to come help me and then were rude....

:thumbsdow to Tandoori King

Dude Im brown and they give me looks inside Tandoori King haha. You should drive a bit farther up 52nd past Mcknight and try out Kohinoor for there samosas. Or even Apna Punjab restaurant has some good samosas. The reason for the shortage is b/c theres barely ne demand in those areas compared to where the other restaurants are located..

bbcustoms
03-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Taste of India in beddington makes a really good samosa
They are kind of small but really good
The owner there is great guy, im white too but I love indian food and never felt uncomfortable or had a problem with service
Spice hut has really good food too but the samosas are better at taste of india

Gravy_83
03-31-2007, 07:00 PM
thanks guys....any of them in the south east at all around lets say midnapore sundance chaparal bridlewood???

sjaswal
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
don't worry gravy, I experienced the same at tandoori king.

it seems most if not all east indian shops don't care about customer service at all.

when there is a huge population base everyone will try a shithole once, and that's enough to keep a shithole going.

urbannomad
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
im brown....me and my dad get "looks" all the time. :rofl:

that's in our nature for some reason :rofl:

we're too fucking curious.

my mom makes damn good samosas to boot.

Gravy_83
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
im brown....me and my dad get "looks" all the time. :rofl:

that's in our nature for some reason :rofl:

we're too fucking curious.

my mom makes damn good samosas to boot.

damn i wish i had a mom who made samosas....but fuck im acadian and my parents wont even make cajun dishes like gumbo and jambalaya....i need more spicy food in my diet hehe.

D. Dub
04-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
Taste of India in beddington makes a really good samosa

We get take out from there all the time --nice people and great food:thumbsup:

KK07
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm brown too and at one time my mom will make like a hundred samosas, basically dedicating a whole day to making them. We usually have a freezer full of them and she doesnt mind giving away some extras haha, Gravy, I'll PM you when she makes some again.

urbannomad
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM

damn i wish i had a mom who made samosas....but fuck im acadian and my parents wont even make cajun dishes like gumbo and jambalaya....i need more spicy food in my diet hehe.

lol. they are pretty easy to make though! all you need is some pastry strips, potatoes, ground beef and some peas. there are a whole bunch of recipes all over the net.

i've been telling my mom to open up her own business with all her friends...they'd beat the shit outta the compettition in calgary i kid you not!

but they'd get tired, and i wouldn't want that for her. :angel:

jumbalaya is some tasty shit. :thumbsup:

Kritafo
04-03-2007, 12:01 PM
i'm thinking your mom could make a good side business! haha!

We go up to the Naga food store in Varsity for samosas. We are far NW and really don't know where to go for them. Since my kids go to martial arts in the same building they make a great snack after. We buy them whenever we go to Spice Hut

We buy our curry spices there they have lamb that is frozen, but they will cube it while you wait.

turbo4dr
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I think thats what its called they have good vege samosa's
52nd and memorial dr SE

FreakinPrince
04-03-2007, 12:55 PM
my momma make samosa and damn they are good!!!!!

i have notice alot of other people who can make them are now adding extra too much salt ..that's why i don't eat out there any more....for some reason people just want more salt...i am very fusy on that

heh

nismodrifter
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
KOHINOOR SWEET HOUSE OMG YEAH.

That is going to be my first stop after I arrive home next week mwhahah. Straight from the Airport lol.

Google for the address or search it on here, I know I've posted it before, its very close to Autodream.

01RedDX
04-03-2007, 03:19 PM

De Dutch
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
there's a resturant that advertise's samosa's all the time..heard they were pretty good, can't remember the resturant name off the top of my head tho it's on the NW corner of 20th ave and centre street north...

there's is always samosa garden up in the NE, right beside sunridge mall (north end of parking lot) too....

:thumbsup:

Who is that girl in your sig ... woooo . :drool:

is300izo
04-04-2007, 03:12 PM
yea there probably arent too many samosa joints in the se, ne is your best bet and yea kohinoor is one of the best ones out there. there is a better place in falconridge across the street from the chalk and rack pool hall (east of it)....best in the city garunteed.

asifka
04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
khinoor rest in NE are pretty good with samosa. also 12 for $6

fanman
04-04-2007, 05:47 PM
you should try thumbs up foods in the NE..its not really a restuarant but they sell samz in cocktail sizes too

turbotrip
04-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by turbo4dr
I think thats what its called they have good vege samosa's
52nd and memorial dr SE

:werd: that place is not very good to eat in at, but if u grab them to go then this place is great, and ive seen quite a few white people there

Donmega
04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
KOHINOOR SWEET HOUSE OMG YEAH.

That is going to be my first stop after I arrive home next week mwhahah. Straight from the Airport lol.

Google for the address or search it on here, I know I've posted it before, its very close to Autodream. :werd: , they make good somosas....eatin them as i type :D

nismodrifter
04-06-2007, 11:39 PM
^^daaaaaaaaaaaaamn....I'm cravin samosas right now :drool: :drool:

Closest Indian restaurant is one island over, haven't eaten any really gooooooood desi food in like 4 months other than the occasional student pot lucks/get togethers.

For day to day desi eating I eat whatever I can make using pita bread + dal/subji/channas/rajma from those pre-made heat+eat packets you can buy from my favorite store (Fruticana haha).

Should have seen the weirdo looks I got when I bought like $200 dollars worth of those packets at one time from Fruitcana lol. Thats what my luggage was full of :D. Life gets verrrrry interesting when you have to study on an island lol.

:nut: :drool: :nut: :drool:

TeamBestBud
04-07-2007, 01:11 AM
^^daaaaaaaaaaaaamn....I'm cravin samosas right now :drool: :drool:

I visited Kohinoor today:devil: :poosie:

VWEvo
04-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Kohinoor sweets is the best place to get samosas.

Firstly, don't go to any high end Indian restaurants to get samosas as they're just gonna charge you about $3 for 2 of them. Most "sweet shops" sell them for about $0.50-$0.75 and they are usually twice the size of restaurant samosas.

Also when ordering the samosas, order Chole (pronounced Cho - lay) with them. Personally, that's the way to eat samosas.

Best samosas in the city are no question in NE calgary. Kohinoor is located on Falconridge Blvd, in the Green Plaza.

I'm a little biased as my uncle owns that place.

Kritafo
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Kohinoor sweets, that is up by the Punjab Sweets Buffet?

We tried Punjab Sweets Buffet yesterday. I wasn't that imporessed with it, next time I will try Kohinoor.

nismodrifter
04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
bwahah....I did it...from the airport straight to Kohinoor. Just ate like 6 samosas right now :D :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Gravy_83
04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
bwahah....I did it...from the airport straight to Kohinoor. Just ate like 6 samosas right now :D :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

you sir suck hehe i wish i had samosas right now hehe.

ninjak84
04-16-2007, 12:58 PM
These things are the fuckin bomb. Definitely worth being the only white person for.
That's in Calgary though, where there's alot of brown people. Here in Saskatoon when we go for Indian food my friends are sometimes the only brown people in the place except for the family that works there.

Dj_Stylz
04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
This might be a dumb question coming from a brown guy but where is Kohinoor lol?

nismodrifter
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
Kohinoor is located on Falconridge Blvd, in the Green Plaza.

Dj_Stylz
04-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Opps lol Thanks.