PDA

View Full Version : Modifications

civic_rida
06-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Does anyone feel that as one grows older the types of modifications to a car one does changes. Sometimes certain modifications influence a certain crowd.

I noticed this change within myself when i was 16 the big thing on my mind was glow, noise , n loud bass.

Now i think i wouldnt ever want neon in my car

Every teenager almost has a system n having ur trunk rattle like shit (looks retarded)

Exhaust , louder doesnt always mean more power. I cant see how some people can drive wit such loud exhaust systems.

Bodykits , dont you people agreee after u go through this stage u will always believe that nothing fits like oem.

GTS Jeff
06-03-2003, 03:30 PM
is this some sort of veiled attempt at proclaiming that u arent a ricer?

Dirty_SOHC
06-03-2003, 03:31 PM
I used to be exactly like that now its all about power, and trying to keep my engine from blowing up.

civic_rida
06-03-2003, 03:32 PM
I dont have to proclaim im not a ricer lol.

Whats ur oppinoun on this gtsjeff who do u c more wit neon people who r 20 or 16

rage2
06-03-2003, 03:33 PM
I think we all go through the "ricer" stage at one point in life. When I was in my early 20's, my 944 was plastered with stickers (some are still there today...). On the fenders was my name stickered on the car because I thought I was a big time racer... but in fact I was just a big time ricer.

It's all about the "clean" look now, and performance! :).

civic_rida
06-03-2003, 03:34 PM
I swear my next car will be just slammed on 18s or 19s

Illusionsir
06-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida

Bodykits , dont you people agreee after u go through this stage u will always believe that nothing fits like oem.

I dont think so....

civic_rida
06-03-2003, 03:46 PM
ur whole kit was bolt on?

NickGT
06-03-2003, 04:09 PM
I use to like show cars alot, but now I think I'd rather have something with some go to it. Something you can drop the pedal and really feel. That's my $0.02.

GTS Jeff
06-03-2003, 04:18 PM
I dont have to proclaim im not a ricer lol.

Whats ur oppinoun on this gtsjeff who do u c more wit neon people who r 20 or 16 when i was 16, i drove my moms 92 accord with a couple subs, a neon bass light, and mugen seatbelt pads.

now, i drive a rusting ae86 with real performance mods.

B17a
06-03-2003, 04:24 PM

I noticed this change within myself when i was 16 the big thing on my mind was glow, noise , n loud bass.

I admit to being an audio ricer back in the day. However I'm proud to say I never fell victim to the neon trend.

buh_buh
06-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
when i was 16, i drove my moms 92 accord with a couple subs, a neon bass light, and mugen seatbelt pads.

now, i drive a rusting ae86 with real performance mods. hahaha too bad your 92 accord is still faster than your ae86.:rofl:

Seanith
06-03-2003, 04:31 PM
yeah i am not down with the whole "rice" scene. I don't like the extra unnecessary attention it brings. I'm all about subtle changes, and things that enhance the cars performance.

Abom
06-03-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm for a combination of everything. All performance, or all show just doesn't cut it. What's needed is combination of both, some show (wheels, racing seats, etc), and some go (intakes, exhausts, turbos). I even have some small neons under my dash for a nice glow effect. The combination of everything is what's important, and what makes a car into a show winner :thumbsup:

Ben
06-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
hahaha too bad your 92 accord is still faster than your ae86.:rofl:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Originally posted by Abom
I'm for a combination of everything. All performance, or all show just doesn't cut it. What's needed is combination of both, some show (wheels, racing seats, etc), and some go (intakes, exhausts, turbos). I even have some small neons under my dash for a nice glow effect. The combination of everything is what's important, and what makes a car into a show winner :thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of the sleeper look.

Sure its nice to have lots of luxuries and nice eye candy on your ride, but hopefully its fast as well.

If I had to pick one thing it would be go Performance first, and THEN go looks, because there is nothing worse than not being able to back up your look. Plus if one was to run out of money, I would rather run out of stuff to make your car look good, rather than run out of money have way through an engine swap or turbo install.

Vitesse951
06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
yeah i am not down with the whole "rice" scene. I don't like the extra unnecessary attention it brings. I'm all about subtle changes, and things that enhance the cars performance.

Thats exactly my view. There are too many ricers (and domestics too) with tons of money in enhancing the exterior, but couldnt hold thier own in a race. I like a nice lowered, fairly agressive civic as much as the next guy, but alot of people in the ricer scene get really caught up in a competition for the most radical "looks" parts.

I am performance guy 100%. I wouldn't even have these big wheels, but they came on the car when I bought it. I would still be running the stock ones if I had them. But performance isn't for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with modifying your car for looks. To each his own.

Just like modifying an engine, when you modify an exterior, you have got to look at the car as a whole, Instead of just adding parts. I think that point is lost by alot of people. As long as you consider the finished car when you select parts, you will end up with a good looking car.

Edit:
I have got some really riced out friends, including a 2002 v6 Honda Accord with 6 TVs (no bullshit) and a list of ricery parts including NAWWWS! My favorite car out of my friends is a 1992 civic hatch. It has a badly dented fender and door, and the stock d15, he is saving for a swap. But he has made that thing super fast for a d15. This guy really knows his shit. I would never call him a ricer. He is more of a Honda performance enthusiast. That civic ran dead even through a 1/4 mile with my 1989 Naturally aspirated 944. It has 165hp/165tq. and weighs 2800lbs. That car has beaten many a Civic SI.

Abom
06-03-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Sure its nice to have lots of luxuries and nice eye candy on your ride, but hopefully its fast as well.

Agreed. I'm just about done my "eye candy", and will be working on performance next :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
06-03-2003, 07:46 PM
As you get older, you want something fast with all the goodies straight from the factory.

But you still won't be able to resist the urge to mod, if you've done any on your previous cars.

5.9 R/T
06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with age. I've always been more interrested in speed over looks. I think you would still be into body kits and neon glow if it wasn't for people who make constant fun of you for doing it.

88CRX
06-03-2003, 08:41 PM
when i got my car when i was 17 i wanted it to look good and thought the stock d15 was fast enough..... one night at racecity and i think ive caught the speed bug.

now dont get me wrong.... my car is done for performance mods (engine swap) for now, untill the rust is gone, clean ww body kit, lowering and rims.... then the real performance mods will come...

88CRX
06-03-2003, 08:43 PM
...and yes i have a bone rattling system that i'll probably hate when im 'older'

Doodle
06-03-2003, 08:43 PM
I would like go more than show now that I'm older. I still have the big ass stereo, but I bang it out on the highway mostly. I don't feel cool anymore when I'm at a red light and my trunks denting in and out from the noise.

BigShow
06-03-2003, 08:50 PM
I think it's all personal opinion... IMO... Nothing wrong with all show, nothing wrong with all performance, both is cool...

Nice wheels, clean kits, nicely lowered... it's all good but Neon lights are just gay.

Stereo's that are done professionaly with at least something for the trunk to stop rattling is cool... on last note... i would rather a car that looks alittle different than stock looking, and really unless your at the track racing your car what's the point of spending lot's of money to make your car go faster?? but even then what's the point... wwoow my car ran 12 seconds...now what??

VWhooligan
06-03-2003, 09:48 PM
yah ill agree that car tastes mature with age. my old golf had lowglow and an exhaust tip. it was a slow automatic.

my new golf however is lowered on 18's, 5-speed and turbo with hidden exhaust tips.

[GaGe]
06-03-2003, 10:50 PM
two years ago, i liked cars with huge wings and neon glow and stuff. Now, I like cars that are clean, and perform well. I think I've matured.. hahaha

GTS Jeff
06-03-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
hahaha too bad your 92 accord is still faster than your ae86.:rofl: :( :(

Wildcat
06-03-2003, 11:06 PM
considering ive only had my car for less than 2 years (it being my first) ive never gone through any phases, ive always had a clear idea of what i wanted it to look like from the begining.

But.. before i had a car (back in the jr high days) i didnt have a clue about cars, and personally i didnt care either, i think i originally wanted a cherokee, something that would get me from point A-B year round

Sadly i will confess.. i do have neon blue lights in my car... im not much of a fan of them anymore, but the slitches dig it :thumbsup: "oooo its sooooo pretty, how much did that cost????" or "wow, those look soooo cool i bet your car is fast!!" hahaha, im a sellout i know.. im gonna go take a cold shower now.. :(

sin
06-03-2003, 11:12 PM
well for the first week i had my car i wanted rice and show, but now im saving for an h22

redline_13000
06-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Ya i have to admit, i was a fan of the neon lights, at one time i even wanted the washer leds badly:( , the worst thing though, i wanted to have a spoiler high enough to do chinups, along with "racing stripes" ahaha, those were the days:rofl:

Weapon_R
06-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Ya i have to admit, i was a fan of the neon lights, at one time i even wanted the washer leds badly:( , the worst thing though, i wanted to have a spoiler high enough to do chinups, along with "racing stripes" ahaha, those were the days:rofl:

Those were the days? Shit, you were talkin about getting that stuff yesterday man...

01sohccivic
06-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Why with all the neon trend?
The worse is colored windshield wipers, espeically chrome

rice_eater
06-05-2003, 09:33 PM

Yup...and i'd much rather have bought a front bumper from an R/T than my body kit...the back and the sides are a different matter however...i wish i had saved the money from the bodykit and spent it on the engine...but oh well...