PDA

View Full Version : City Golf errrrrrrrrrr??

essential.mix
03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
I am thinking about buying a city golf just because its new... and affordable (and because i love the classic golf look). Now the part where I am iffy is...... would adding an exhaust and modding the exterior be a little silly? It is pretty bare bones vehicle..... so thats why im not sure if doing this would be logical. Please any thoughts/suggestions?

VWbloke
03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Why would it be silly? I say go for it!

Plus there are turbo kits available for the 2.0 which will address the power problem! :)

http://www.kommunik8.com/summer_mode.jpg

http://www.kommunik8.com/summer_mode2.jpg

http://www.kommunik8.com/summer_mode3.jpg

adidas
03-31-2007, 10:50 PM
If you put a turbo on a mk4 2L your an idiot. Mind as well buy a 1.8T gti/jetta and you will prob have more horsepower then the 2L will ever make with a turbo.

i have the original mk4 2L and for the most part its a nice car, but i would rather go for a gti or a jetta. thats just me tho.

check out vwvortex.com and see what really can be done to the cars!

GL

bobby_lu
03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
i wouldnt bother buying a car like that (for the affordability) and then spending another load of cash on it...you might as well put that extra few K...(or however much) towards a better....that said its good for the price that youre getting a new car...dont bother moddig it though

Weapon_R
03-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Why not buy a mildly used 1.8T and go from there? A better platform. I think the city vehicles are aimed more at the budget conscience crowd, but a little exterior mods dont hurt.

essential.mix
04-01-2007, 12:58 AM
What I like about buying it NEW is that it is infact NEW. Another up is the warranty, which some people think might not matter... but if youve ever had a VW you know it isnt cheap. Also I can decide what color/features it comes with with the opton of addintional packages and just so i can say its MINE and only MINE.... IF they still made the old MK4 GTI's I would be buying one. I have a 95 GTI right now and its the same engine as in the City Golf, and its still a fun car to drive even if it doesnt have all the extra ponys. Another thing is the city golf is great on gas. So I think a badgeless grill some rims and tint with an exhaust is all this baby will need. Agree/disagree? Dont hate, appreciate.

BoS_DC2
04-01-2007, 01:04 AM
^ sounds good!

If that's all you're looking for then that's what you should get, won't hurt putting a few exterior mods to spice it up like the golf shown above, looks awesome.

nismodrifter
04-01-2007, 01:05 AM
wheels and a drop is all you need

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/TRAF777/DSC_0425.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/TRAF787/DaveRS.jpg

ya....

BigMass
04-01-2007, 09:05 AM
those wheels are worth more than the car

Lo)2enz0
04-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/TRAF777/DSC_0425.jpg

damn i miss my golf

TimG
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a 95 GTI right now and its the same engine as in the City Golf, and its still a fun car to drive even if it doesnt have all the extra ponys. Another thing is the city golf is great on gas.

1. your mk3 gti has an ABA 2.0, the mk4/citi has an AEG.

2. I have a mk4 2.0 and i don't find it THAT great on gas. about 400-450 km on about 40-45 liters.

if you insist on getting this, slap on a rear sway bar and some Bilstein/H&R suspension and you'll have a lot more fun.

i can sell you my mods later this summer when I upgrade :)

asp integra
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
ya i think it would make way more sense to get a mk4 gti 1.8t, you could find one for about the same price, and it responds so well to mods. i have a 2000 gti 1.8t and i love it, its got cai, turbo inlet tube, hi flow cat, downpipe, exhaust and chip, and drives really smooth and i get about 450-500 kms on a full tank, i would say get a mk 4, not a city!!!!!

ninjak84
04-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by essential.mix
... but if youve ever had a VW you know it isnt cheap.

No way. I disagree.

My kraut wagon is the most economical car I've ever seen.
Fantastic on gas and pennies to fix or maintain.

Dirty_SOHC
04-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Sorry for the thread highjack, what is everybodys opinon of the new 2007 GTI?;)

Aleks
04-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
Sorry for the thread highjack, what is everybodys opinon of the new 2007 GTI?;)

I drove the GLi which is a GTi with a truck. Car had DSG which was a pretty neat trans. But I suspect the paddles would get boring fast. I was impressed by the engine. Very smooth and a lot of power down low. Interior is a lot nicer than competition but on average the cars a little more expensive. Handled well however the car I drove was equipped with summer rubber which is free if you buy the 18" wheels.

DUBDUDE
04-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by essential.mix
What I like about buying it NEW is that it is infact NEW. Another up is the warranty, which some people think might not matter... but if youve ever had a VW you know it isnt cheap. Also I can decide what color/features it comes with with the opton of addintional packages and just so i can say its MINE and only MINE.... IF they still made the old MK4 GTI's I would be buying one. I have a 95 GTI right now and its the same engine as in the City Golf, and its still a fun car to drive even if it doesnt have all the extra ponys. Another thing is the city golf is great on gas. So I think a badgeless grill some rims and tint with an exhaust is all this baby will need. Agree/disagree? Dont hate, appreciate.

you couldn't be more wrong on the engine buddy, the mk4 have a completely different engine as the mk3's, I have personally had that mk4 2.0 engine already and I recomend the same thing as the other guy, buy a slightly used 1.8t, buy extra warranty if possible and you'd be a much happier person, to buy a bare bones new car like that is like geting yourself a hooker with morals.......they just don't go together nowadays.........besides if you're gonna buy new, the difference betweeen the payments of a new rabbit, with a waaayyy nicer engine and options is not that much and they're a heck of a lot better than those shit "city golfs" not to mention the rabits are made in germany and these city crap are made in brazil i believe......the rabbits come with 150 hp and 170 torque, and for like 21 g's, which when u split in in the drivers option is like 300 a month with lil'downpayment.................buying a new car and modding it is the stupidiest thing u can do, might as well throw that money on your down payment and get yourself a car that won't need mods that can actually fuck with your warranty.............if u wanna mod, buy used and then screw around with it all u want.................1.8t's are beautiful engines, strong, reliable and used by AUDI for like 10 years now...........there's no engine in the market segment that touches it, NOTHING!!!........and I should now, I've raced everything thats out there on the same category and I've smoked it.with no mods!!

and yes, for those of you with that 1950's mentality of "no, I want to own my car, I don't want to lease, so I'm gonna finance the whole amount so I can own the car......"....you never own a car..the CAR owns you!!...used or new, there's always money to be spent, and at the end of the day, u always want something new in 3 to 5 years...do the math and see how much money u loose when u finance a new car that u end up selling or trading in 3 to 5 years..compared to a lease or lease like option.........I laways laugh when people, specially young people, tell me they want to own their new car........nowadays is by far, the stupidiest thing u can do.....along modding a new car, if u really are money concious.and are just not doing what your grandpa told u to do, when buying a new car...............my 2 cents folks!!.....and no I'm not made of money, and yes I've own about 6 brand new vehicles to date.......and yes I'm on my early 30's.........

essential.mix
04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

No way. I disagree.

My kraut wagon is the most economical car I've ever seen.
Fantastic on gas and pennies to fix or maintain.

Well maybe its the fact I go to concept1 for repairs since many mechanics wont touch VW's? Maybe its just me.....

Originally posted by DUBDUDE

you couldn't be more wrong on the engine buddy, the mk4 have a completely different engine as the mk3's........
Well they may be different but they both have the same HP and Torque if im not mistaken? 115hp 122torque??

Anyways Im not interested in leasing and16k is even pushing my limit for JUST the car itself, a NEW city golf with warranty and 0 km's seems to be more ideal than most 1.8t ive seen which are a few years old and priced at around 18k+

I'd prefer to have a GTI anyday dont get me wrong, ive been looking, perhaps i just need to be patient and see if anything comes along?
Also,Im not looking to put 5k into the city golf... a simple badgeless grill, tint, exhaust and rims that i can get a great deal on.

Although I must say it does make more sense to make the car look nice if it is actually worthy of it. Which is the whole point of the thread. Im leaning more towards to finding a GTI a couple years old.That is why if anyone knows of/has seen a GTI thats within 2 or 3 years of age, that is cheaper than $17,000 please PM me. I think ive seen a 2003 fully loaded for $16,900 but that seems awfully cheap compared to other 1.8turbos so im a little suspicious... maybe ill have to take it to VW for an inspection.

It seems to be a split between people against city golfs and people for city golfs, choices choices!! :dunno: