PDA

View Full Version : X1300 Pro overclocking - abnormal readings

Zero102
04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
I am wondering how many of you have experience overclocking ATI cards.
I have an X1300 Pro AGP, and have noticed some abnormal things when I use ATITool. Sitting idle at my desktop it is showing 65-66*C GPU temp, when I use the 3D simulation this rapidly climbs to 75-ish*C (72-78). If I overclock it at all, the temp climbs even further, up well into the 80's (85-88*C). What is strange is that when it reaches these temperatures, there is no failure, and the fan speed remains low (given as a percentage, but it has only gone as high as 39%). There are no artifacts at all, and this just doesn't seem right to me.

The stock core and memory speeds are 600/400 respectively, and I have turned it up to roughly 675/475 with only the above temperature differences to note.
If I turn it up over 700/500 my computer blue screens immediately, so I know I am near the limit. I don't keep the card running at those speeds, it was more of a curiousity thing that caused me to turn it up in the first place.

If it is relevant at all, the rest of the specs are as follows: ASRock Intel 865i chipset board, p4 2.4GHz non-HT (running 2.71GHz), 1GB DDR-266 SDRAM (2x512mb, at 300MHz since the FSB ratio is locked). Also worth noting the system is running vista ultimate. The readings above occured with the processor/memory running at normal speed and overclocked.

Could those temps be accurate? How can a card run so hot, and still be stable?
The memory temps never topped 55*C throughout the process.

I am not looking for a ton of advice on overclocking, I have found my optimum settings already, and they are 625/437.5, anything above that and I gain nothing.

GQBalla
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
the readings are mostly inaccurate.
did it raise the MB temp?

tictactoe2004
04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
video cards run damn hot.. my 8800GTX runs a little higher than that stock and if I OC it she gets pretty toasty. That's a pretty good OC of the vid card.. just keep going higher and higher and testing it on something hard like 3dmark05 or 06 untill you start to see the slightest bit of garbage on the screen, then turn it down back a notch and thats where your good to go.. i'd also leave the fan at 100% if you plan on leaving it OC'd all the time. I'm a huge fan of OC'ing processors, but I tend to leave my video card at stock speeds because of how hot they run. I will OC my vid card for benchmarking, but leave it at stock speeds (or fairly low OC) for regular use.

Frosty
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd say they sound reasonable. On my nVidia temp monitor, it says thermal throttling doesn't kick in until 110 degrees celcius :eek:

b_t
04-01-2007, 05:59 PM
How can I check how hot my card is running? I thought it would install the "command center" program thing when I installed the drivers but it didn't.

Its an EVGA Geforce 8800GTS if that helps.

Zero102
04-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Holy freakin cow, 110*C.
If mine topped 100*C I would freak. It spiked to 90 and I almost turned the thing off, lol.

The ATITool has an artifact searching button, you click it and the utility will scan the entire video memory for artifacts, and gives you a readout of how bad they are. The odd pixel or two is not a problem, but a few hundred is.

Good to know that these temps aren't unheard of. I have overclocked a lot of processors before, but never a video card. If my processor hits 50*C I get very concerned, 60*C and I will throttle it back, but I thought perhaps video cards were different.

That said, my 2.4GHz P4 ran at ~36*C full load at stock speeds, and is only at 39*C-40*C full load at 2.71GHz, I am pretty satisfied, since that is only on stock cooling.

As for the comment about setting the fan speed at 100%, I would have no problem doing that, except I cannot with ATI Tool, is there something else that would let me to that?

Thanks for all the help guys :clap:

Frosty
04-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by b_t
How can I check how hot my card is running? I thought it would install the "command center" program thing when I installed the drivers but it didn't.

Its an EVGA Geforce 8800GTS if that helps.

Even if it did work, it's a POS. The classic panel was much nicer to use. AFAIK, all newer driver sets come with the new control panel, and it's got some issues.

My suggestion would be RivaTuner :thumbsup: