PDA

View Full Version : R34's

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
So I've been looking on importconcern.ca and other importing websites but I can't find out why R33/34s aren't legal, apart from that 15 year 'wait list' thing...

I've seen 3 different R34s in North America, how did those get here? Are they even street legal?

Thanks...

dj_rice
04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Prolli kit cars...or there just here for car shows and arent registered....something to do with collision/safety standards I believe

racin_jayson
04-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I once read that people import them in pieces and then assemble them and register them as a kit car, I have no idea how one would go about doing that, but I would give my left nut for an R34

Canmorite
Judging by serial numbers, I'm pretty sure they weren't kit cars, but I could be wrong. There was one at SCC last year I think that was from Seattle, and I've seen a few in California too.

Would it next to impossible to import one and register it, legally?

Canmorite
Originally posted by racin_jayson
I once read that people import them in pieces and then assemble them and register them as a kit car, I have no idea how one would go about doing that, but I would give my left nut for an R34

So would I. Good to see someone else from Canmore on here :thumbsup:

lamp_shade_2000
04-01-2007, 07:36 PM
IIRC they are legal in certain states of the US, there was a company who got them legal but they still wont pass in canada.

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
IIRC they are legal in certain states of the US, there was a company who got them legal but they still wont pass in canada.

If they're registered in the states and driven in Canada...that would work?

TeamBestBud
04-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Motorex brought them in legally in California but their owners in jail now..

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
Motorex brought them in legally in California but their owners in jail now..

In jail for driving the car or...?

Sharpie
04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Search this topic has been beaten down over and over. You can bring one over here but it isn't worth it unless you have mad cash.

Also I think they were put in jail because they didn't cash test the r34s only the r33s because the r34s failed or something. But unless you have like $100,000 it aint worth it.

TeamBestBud
04-01-2007, 07:49 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/122853/owner-of-motorex-skyline-importer-arrested/

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Cool, thanks.

So 100K to actually get one here legally? Thats crazy. Although if it were a V-Spec II Nur...:poosie:

JamesV888
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Even with 100G, R34 can't pass emmision in many province of canada(Alberta Excluded) but they won't let you put it on the road because of the 15 year import ban and a host of other
problems..........

like headlights for example.

msommers
04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
If you're actually serious about importing an R34 then do it. It won't cost you 100,000 to get one either, it will be substantially less. But there are restrictions for you personally, which means no driving on the street/public roads. But it would be one HELL of a track car.

Motorex was a company is the states that "legitimately" brought in Japanese cars. In fact, they brought in parts and assembled the car and sold it as the whole car itself but calling it a "kit car". This car then failed multiple crash and safety tests when conducted by real safety testers, not the hired guys. The "hired guy's" documents I believe were forged, manipulated (don't quote me on that) and now the guys are in jail.

Bottom line: You want an R34, you can get one. Most I saw were anywhere from 25 million - 40 million yen (25k - 40k-ish CDN)) on the auction sites.

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by msommers
If you're actually serious about importing an R34 then do it. It won't cost you 100,000 to get one either, it will be substantially less. But there are restrictions for you personally, which means no driving on the street/public roads. But it would be one HELL of a track car.

Motorex was a company is the states that "legitimately" brought in Japanese cars. In fact, they brought in parts and assembled the car and sold it as the whole car itself but calling it a "kit car". This car then failed multiple crash and safety tests when conducted by real safety testers, not the hired guys. The "hired guy's" documents I believe were forged, manipulated (don't quote me on that) and now the guys are in jail.

Bottom line: You want an R34, you can get one. Most I saw were anywhere from 25 million - 40 million yen (25k - 40k-ish CDN)) on the auction sites.

Yea finding one wouldn't be the problem, just registering it. I would want it as a street car and a track car.

Gotta wait till 2017 I guess?

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-01-2007, 08:47 PM
What i've seen some people do it import it to the states, register it there and then drive it here, but you have to take it back something like once a year, and you'd have to have american citizenship to register it there... but now it sounds like even the states dont want em.

What you could do is build it piece by piece and register it as a kit car, but that would cost substantially more (~100-200k, or less if you know what your doing) but you'd have to get it tested, go through all the paperwork to get it done... Another option is take an R32 frame, and just bolt an R34 body on, seen it done, it looks a little off, but hey, it's a GTR right?

EDIT: You may have to wait longer than 2017, if they succeed in changing the import wait from 15 years to 25

Canmorite
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Yea that move from 15 to 25 would suck!

HiSpec
04-01-2007, 10:57 PM
would it be legal if its used as a track car? And not register it under street car?

Also, if the owner of Motorex were to modify the R34 to meet the safety standard. What kind of modification would it involve? Re-engineer the bumper structure?

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
They didn't modify the r34, they modified the documents saying it passed the tests

tsuga
04-01-2007, 11:23 PM
well the ones you saw is maybe from the states
they got a couple thats were depowered? if thats the right word for it

RickDaTuner
04-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
What i've seen some people do it import it to the states, register it there and then drive it here, but you have to take it back something like once a year, and you'd have to have american citizenship to register it there... but now it sounds like even the states dont want em.

What you could do is build it piece by piece and register it as a kit car, but that would cost substantially more (~100-200k, or less if you know what your doing) but you'd have to get it tested, go through all the paperwork to get it done... Another option is take an R32 frame, and just bolt an R34 body on, seen it done, it looks a little off, but hey, it's a GTR right?

EDIT: You may have to wait longer than 2017, if they succeed in changing the import wait from 15 years to 25

Moterex Legally crash tested one R32 and then forged the documents on crash testing the R33 and the R34s along with all skyline variant cars, the US government caught on to them through the discrepancies found in their paperwork.

all GTR brought state side by Motrex were fully assembled cars, once they were stateside they would be modified to meet us emissions testing, hence the added price tag to the skyline, this had to be done, no ands ifs or buts about it, due to the fact that every single one had to be pre inspected before delivered to the buyer

Secondly you can not piece together a kit car GTR, transport Canada will not allow an undamaged frame from a GTR into Canada at all, unless it is cited specifically for competition use, the car frame has to be labeled unrepeatable, or for salvage, that’s the only way.

The only real way to get a street legal R34 here in Canada to be used on the roads is to have one brought over from another country with an already active registration to another country. other than that you are SOL unless you can get a shop to purchase the car as a company expense and register it for competition use, witch not allow the car to be street legal

Bottom line is the car has to be 15 years old to legally be registered here in Canada with a few exceptions; most of witch does not apply to a used vehicle

ercchry
04-02-2007, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by tsuga
well the ones you saw is maybe from the states
they got a couple thats were depowered? if thats the right word for it

not true and not the right word, the word would be detuned

HiSpec
04-02-2007, 02:53 AM
They didn't modify the r34, they modified the documents saying it passed the tests

i should've been more clear. I was asking IF Motorex were to attempt to make the R34 legal, who would they seek to make the changes to the car to be legal?

Canmorite
04-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

The only real way to get a street legal R34 here in Canada to be used on the roads is to have one brought over from another country with an already active registration to another country. other than that you are SOL unless you can get a shop to purchase the car as a company expense and register it for competition use, witch not allow the car to be street legal

So bringing one from the UK would work?

Then theres still the smog/15 year problem...

Sharpie
04-02-2007, 09:37 AM

So bringing one from the UK would work?

Then theres still the smog/15 year problem...
No, on top of what Rick said there is anyother way, but it would take some money or some connections. If you own a cardealer you can bring an r34 over here and use dealer plates on it. Now if you have a good friend/family member that own a dealer and will let you use a plate then it could be easy.

Honestly, if you have the money, do it. If not give up because there is no way (besides mine if it is even true) you'll get one with out spending some serious cash.

And to everyone that thinks you can modify the bumpers and shit. I am pretty sure once it gets here it will have to be crash tested so you are S.O.L again.

Eleanor
04-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Or if you were really rich you could bring two across, modify them both to meet crash standards and then perform the test on one and keep the other.

Sharpie
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Or if you were really rich you could bring two across, modify them both to meet crash standards and then perform the test on one and keep the other.
See I am not 100% sure if I am right. Rage2 is the master when it comes to getting one over, but it has been discussed before on here.

JamesV888
04-02-2007, 10:35 AM

The US government is the first to put a stop to all R34 being imported in for street use. Motorex is the one that ruined it for us all.

If you have the money, you still can't register a R34 in US or Canada. There are varients out there like R32 frame with R34 components but to register a R34 on the books is imposible right now. There are 6 or 8 that got registered in the US before the government put a ban on it. Those 6 or 8 is not for sale and if it is, its major bling$$$$.

You can import a R34 just for the track. you also have to invest in a trailer plus insurance to haul it to wherever.

same thing can be said about importing a S15 for track. How do you think those drift cars that came from japan to the US for drift competition got In???

I saw the S15 in 06 Sema that won the drift US 06. It was a beautiful car and modded to the teeth. Engine was pushed back 6 inches and its a skyline engine. Here is a pic I took.

RickDaTuner
04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

That's not the case with transport Canada, the government is more concerned with baby seat restraints and proper light out put and also with front crash test ratings, and i think you would need some where in the neighbourhood of 4-5 cars to do each crash test

RickDaTuner
04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie

No, on top of what Rick said there is anyother way, but it would take some money or some connections. If you own a cardealer you can bring an r34 over here and use dealer plates on it. Now if you have a good friend/family member that own a dealer and will let you use a plate then it could be easy.

Honestly, if you have the money, do it. If not give up because there is no way (besides mine if it is even true) you'll get one with out spending some serious cash.

And to everyone that thinks you can modify the bumpers and shit. I am pretty sure once it gets here it will have to be crash tested so you are S.O.L again.

you would still have to get the car on Canadian soil first, which is the impossible part as of now

RickDaTuner
04-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JamesV888

The US government is the first to put a stop to all R34 being imported in for street use. Motorex is the one that ruined it for us all.

There are still a few States that allow the importation of JDM cars peding some lengthy paper work, along with a visual inspection, Post motorex's down fall a few more skylines have made it over, but only R32s, and there is a heck of alot more than just 8 skylines over in the USA

JamesV888
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
true, there are more than 8 skyline in the US.
how many are street legal? if they are street legal, it would be before the clamp down.

if a few states that allow JDM R34 to be legal then why is it that they stop all R34 from coming in in the US?

If those few states allows it. How are you gonna get a OBD I car to pass emission for OBD II standard as a R34 is 98 or 99 car.

lets say by some miracle, all the above problem is solved, how is that car in the US, which is legal now gonna meet Alberta DOT guidelines and inspection?

There is no north america skyline compatible headlight to do the swap as JDM headlight points at the wrong direction. All other stuff like marker doesn't have SAE or DOT approved on it. these are just a few things that will not pass for alberta.

Lets say lights problem is solved and you got it throught inspection. What happen if the car is involved in an accident and the insurance finds out that it doesn't meet Dot approved guidelines, they can refuse to pay for damages and have nothing to do with it. Ones is on the owner of R34 to pay big $$$$$.

just a few things to think about......

:dunno:

Canmorite
04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Cool stuff guys. Thanks for all the input...