PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones and Fast Lanes.

Alak
04-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Start Rant:
People who talk on their cell phones, while doing 70 in the fast lane on deerfoot are liable to get shot. Or so help me god I will totally drive you off the road without a 2nd thought.

Put your yack box away and concentrate on driving your 5-Speed Manual Neon. The car doesnt drive itself when you shift gears. The speed limit is 100 you peice of #$&% and the fast lane is also called the passing lane, in which people going FASTER pass you and change lanes back to the middle lane. When I flash my blinders at you, dont slow down. I have no problem ramming you from the side.

End Rant.

Moral of the story is please dont talk on your cell phone, or hog the fast lane. There are 3 other lanes. And if its important, they will leave a message. Its not like you dont get reception off deerfoot.

Should probably be in another forum, but this was definetly a street encounter if I ever did see one.

Spoons
04-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Ummm, last time I checked just cause someone else is driving like a douche, doesn't give anyone the right to start driving like a douche and flashing your high beams.

But that could just be me.

Alak
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Proper road ediquette.

Flashing your high beams. Also called, flash to pass (in countries like Japan, which have these lenses pre-installed). Most People in Canada drive like morons. This is known fact. Anywhere else in the world, they flash at you to either move, or indicate a passing manouvre. I also use this to signal a thank you to a big rig that pulls a little onto the shoulder when Im passing on the highway.

So when Im flashing at other drivers, obviously your doing something obviously wrong. Maybe you should, stop talking on the phone and perhaps check where the F%^k you are. Maybe you really are doing 70 on deerfoot. Or maybe you have a flat tire. Or maybe your still in 3rd gear. Who knows?

adam c
04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
or maybe u should just change lanes or slow down with this weather

hjr
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
everyone dislikes slow drivers in the fast lane. Flashing the beams at them is an appropriate response.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Flashing beams is a courteous move... Works wonders on the highways usually... And it is supposed to work on freeways (deerfoot, 16th, crowchild...) But most people assume your mad at them, or don't want you to pass them due to pride, so then they start acting like assholes, but still, just get the hell out of the way.

ercchry
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
the problem with the flashing the high beams is that the people that are smart enough to know what it means are smart enough not to be in the fast lane

topmade
04-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with what LilDrunkenSmurf said. Deerfoot drivers don't respond well to flashing high beams and think the people who do this are being assholes. I've seen this many times and most of the time the slower car won't change lanes and the speeder will have to change lanes to pass them.

I think the flashing beams work better on 1 lane highways where you don't have other lanes to use to pass other then the on-comming lane.

cherpintow
04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
the problem with the flashing the high beams is that the people that are smart enough to know what it means are smart enough not to be in the fast lane

Very true...

JamesV888
04-02-2007, 03:23 PM
flashing headlight to ask people to move over is a proper thing to do. Its better than giving them a finger or tailgate them which invoke road rage.

the worst ones are the one that are doing like 80 on a 100KM zone clueless to what the hell is going on. Same goes with going 60KM on the left lane of crowchild and speeds up when you try to pass them in the middle lane.

Spoons
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
And I learned something. I just think to myself that I wouldn't want to be blinded in my rear view, but I guess what works works. Sorry for my accusations before alak.

ercchry
04-02-2007, 09:11 PM
some countries even flash there lights at each other to warn each other of speed traps and things, i remember down in fiji that they would do it to warn about the army being up ahead, that was kinda scary

carter_prelude
04-02-2007, 09:17 PM
^ i try to flash them to warm on coming drivers of cops with set up radar. I know if i was that on coming driver I'd sure LOVE it if someone warned be :thumbsup:

BenC
04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
i flashed my highbeams at some guy once..
what does he do?
nothing, he reaches into his glove box whips out a flash light. and flashes me back.. like
wow. i was speechless

TeamBestBud
04-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Alak
Or so help me god I will totally drive you off the road without a 2nd thought.
I have no problem ramming you from the side.

Originally posted by hjr
everyone dislikes slow drivers in the fast lane. Flashing the beams at them is an appropriate response.

No ramming them off the road is the appropriate response

:rolleyes:

xcelr8
04-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
^ i try to flash them to warm on coming drivers of cops with set up radar. I know if i was that on coming driver I'd sure LOVE it if someone warned be :thumbsup:

i do this too :D

but no one has ever warned me about photo radar =[

Alak
04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
And I learned something. I just think to myself that I wouldn't want to be blinded in my rear view, but I guess what works works. Sorry for my accusations before alak.

No worries. I sometimes have a hard time getting a point across and other people take it in an unintentional fashion.

I've probably logged ALOT of kms on the highway in the last winter and I've pretty much seen it all.

I had this lady once in a blue ford ranger out near peace river. Im drivin my Silverado 2500 Diesel with Bush Bar and Big Tires. Road conditions were perfect. No snow, plus 12, not wet. Im coming up the hill and it goes into a single lane. With steady truck traffic coming into the city so I cant pass. Shes going 40 kmph in 110 zone. I kid you not. I cant get by because of oncoming traffic and there had to be 20 cars behind me. Normally I just flash and pass or whatever. Im driving like a maniac simply because Im strung out from work and Im going home. So Im about 6 inches from her in braod daylight flashing, beeping, everything possible. finally for what seems like an eternity, I get a chance to pass. I pass her and she (Literally, I have this on film somewheres) has a coffee in one hand, and the phone in the other. Im not making this up. Her truck is a Ranger with a 5-speed. It totally blew my mind. It wasnt even worth swerving at her or throwing shit.

:drama:

So I make it into some town, I dont really remember where. Valleyview or something. Take my time fuelling up. Nature calls. I come out and shes there. At the pump, fuelling up. Still talking on the phone. UNREAL. Justice was served as a cop pulled up behind her with the cherries on. I didnt stick around as I thought I'd put as much pavement between me and her as possible.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have a liscence. I'll see if I can dig up the footage.

sneek
04-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by BenC
what does he do?
nothing, he reaches into his glove box whips out a flash light. and flashes me back.. like
wow. i was speechless
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think i might swerve off the road laughing

ercchry
04-03-2007, 01:31 AM

I've probably logged ALOT of kms on the highway in the last winter and I've pretty much seen it all.

ok i have something that you may have never seen

thursday night i was coming up to calgary from lethbridge and we were near highriver on hwy 2 and we were in the right lane with no other cars around and then we get up to this dodge ram and its in the fast lane (with no one around) and the guy almost hits the ditch. so what ever we keep driving and then he passes us, going at least 130km/h.

then the door opens, and here is where it gets crazy. some young (around 18) farm boy hops out of the truck and is holding onto the door and the b piller of the truck, sliding down the road on his feet.

this happened right in front of us and in the lane beside us. it was just nuts!! if he would have fell either our car or theirs would have ran over him, not to mention that he would have hit the ground at over 130km/h

RX_EVOLV
04-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by BenC
what does he do?
wow. i was speechless

omg :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alak
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

ok i have something that you may have never seen

thursday night i was coming up to calgary from lethbridge and we were near highriver on hwy 2 and we were in the right lane with no other cars around and then we get up to this dodge ram and its in the fast lane (with no one around) and the guy almost hits the ditch. so what ever we keep driving and then he passes us, going at least 130km/h.

then the door opens, and here is where it gets crazy. some young (around 18) farm boy hops out of the truck and is holding onto the door and the b piller of the truck, sliding down the road on his feet.

this happened right in front of us and in the lane beside us. it was just nuts!! if he would have fell either our car or theirs would have ran over him, not to mention that he would have hit the ground at over 130km/h

THAT, is a crazy story. They must have been American. Lethbridge ain't far from the border.

I have seen alot of crazy things that just make you think, what the fuck.

GTS Jeff
04-03-2007, 01:37 AM
I've noticed that only Albertans take offence to getting flashed by highbeams. In other parts of the world, including Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, flashing someone is a polite way of asking them to move over.

The first time I got on the 401, I was going about 20 over the limit in the fast lane, and some dude in a Bimmer got behind me and flashed his highbeams. Did I get all psycho and angry? No, I just changed lanes and let him pass.

ercchry
04-03-2007, 01:39 AM

THAT, is a crazy story. They must have been American. Lethbridge ain't far from the border.

I have seen alot of crazy things that just make you think, what the fuck.

well it was near high river so it was almost in calgary haha yeah i think that they were just farm boys out drinkin and drivin, they turned off on the vulcan/high river exit, so yeah definatly farm boys

JordanLotoski
04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Every car should be equipped with bluetooth...I have it in my car now and i cant imagin how i lived without it.

DayGlow
04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I've noticed that only Albertans take offence to getting flashed by highbeams. In other parts of the world, including Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, flashing someone is a polite way of asking them to move over.

The first time I got on the 401, I was going about 20 over the limit in the fast lane, and some dude in a Bimmer got behind me and flashed his highbeams. Did I get all psycho and angry? No, I just changed lanes and let him pass.

Totally depends on the situation. If I'm in the middle of passing someone one else and not travelling fast enough for the person behind me I do not think it's right to flash and tailgate like many drivers do. I am using the passing lane to pass and I am actively overtaking another vehicle.

I travel back to the cost a lot and a few times while driving though Baniff I am passing a car in the slow lane. I will not speed through Baniff at all, the wildlife, other drivers distracted by said wildlife and the mounties out there will ticket their grandmother for going 10 over to boot. I am passing a car and someone one comes flying up, flashing and tailgating because my pass isn't quick enough for them. Always sweet justice when you see them 10 minutes later pulled over getting a ticket :D

tictactoe2004
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM
hah, im the same way... i set my cruise at 120 on deerfoot in the fast lane when weather permits... Nothing is worse than when you get some idiot going 95-105 in the fast lane they have people passing them non-stop in the middle lane.. I usually pull up a lilttle close behind them and give them a few moments to move over.. then I pass them in the middle lane, give them a big thumbs up with a corky thatcher grin. They usually move over after that... or if they're complete morons I just change back to the fast lane when im about 12 inches ahead of them and give them the big thumbs up through the rear window.. Nothing worse than when its a middle aged mother in a mini van on her cell phone going 98 in the fast lane :whipped: :whipped:

Akagi Redsuns
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
Every car should be equipped with bluetooth...I have it in my car now and i cant imagin how i lived without it.

I like this idea as a vehicle with integrated BlueTooth is very handy.

However, I don't see how that would help with the majority of Calgary drivers who pay more attention to a cellphone conversation then the road. It's not the fact they are holding the phone with their hand, but more so that their attention is so much on their the conversation that it is a challenge for them to keep their car between the lanes. Pretty damn sad.

BlueFrenzy
04-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Soooo .. when are cell phones going to be banned while driving???

There's a number of studies that tested driving skills while talking on the cell phone --> apparently, the amount of impairment is akin to that of drinking (more even!).
http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Cell_phone_use_and_driving.html

Oh and here's a study that shows driving on hands free is just as judgement impairing as a hand held set ... so ideally you also shouldn't talk using the bluetooth connection.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/01/030129080944.htm

Seeing as that we live in Calgary and the majority of drivers are already under-par in terms of skill --> those Calgary drivers talking on cell phones are probably equivalent in skill to a drunk 5 year old.