PDA

View Full Version : New Member here.

Mr.Volvo
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
New member here with a little tidbit of displeasure with a company called Sklar Peppler Furnishings....

I called them to purchase a kitchen table and chair set. I saw that they sold some products that I wanted and decided to make my purchase in January. I had the furniture delivered and unpacked. I looked over the furniture and noticed that the center extension leaf was a different shade of stain and the grain pattern was very different from the table it came with. I setup the chairs and the legs were all different lengths and wobbled when you sat on them. Underneath the table and chairs there were "Made in China" Stickers plastered all over. Highly disappointing considering the price and calibur of furniture that was suposed to arrive. At about the same time as the table and chair purchase, I looked at theatre seating for my home theatre. I found some nice chairs (a set of 2) with built in theatre speakers for a great price of $5348.

I returned to the Sklar Peppler location in Calgary to talk to the Ceo of the company, to see if I could exchange my table and chairs for something that was not improperly and poorly constructed. I was told 'no'. I went over the contract details and it stipulates that I am entitled to pay a 25% restocking fee on the items purchased total value if I should be disatisfied with them. Apparantly that's not in their rule book as the CEO (Cliff Eisenberg) who talked to me, said "No" in a firm yet cocky tone. Naturally when you get hosed like this and get tossed around and ignored once the company has your money, you get upset. You may raise your voice in a stern yet somewhat polite manner to get your points across. Well, I did so and got a very rude shove out the front door, actually it was more of a throw like you see bouncers do to patrons at the nightclubs.
After experiencing this I cancelled the order I put through for my theatre seating. Now, the order was just placed and they hadn't even began to look for them in their warehouse. The order was cancelled and I assumed I would have to pay nothing for it, because nothing had yet been ordered. Wrong....They sent me a bill for a 25% restocking fee of the value of the chairs ($5348). The restocking fee was over $4000!!!! Now if you do your math, 25% of 5348 is 1337 and change, is it not?

Now I'm in constant deliberations with this company and their finance company CitiFinancial. CitiFinancial has issued me a bill for their 80% restocking fee and threatened collections if it should not be paid. Quite some b.s. if you ask me.

Where I am sitting now is in arguements with both Sklar Peppler and CitiFinancial for the 80% restocking fee. I thought I'd post this here so anybody else looking at purchasing from this highly disorganised and rude company can look into it more and make the right decision to NOT buy from them.
I have also dug up alot of records off of the Better Business Bureau of each Sklar Peppler Furnishings location having a complaint filed against them for every department. You can have a peek for yourselves if you're considering a purchase from them.

Thanks Beyond for letting me get a bit of venting out here and hopefully this helps you!

-Mr.Volvo

turbolaser
04-03-2007, 02:51 PM
shitty deal dude i hope ever thing works out

take there assses to court lol

hoamic11
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
man that's bs, i would take em to court for that

Xtrema
04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Did you buy furniture on-line or by the phone without going to a store and check it out?

tictactoe2004
04-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm no legal expert, but here's some stuff for you..

Call citi financial and tell them that they misrepresented the product to you, and that the product has never even left their store yet... tell them that they are trying to charge you a restocking fee on something not even ordered yet.

I would go talk nicely, dont raise your voice or use any foul language, try to show as little emotion as possible.. Tell them they misrepresented the product and you will only accept a full refund on the home theater seating and want your money back on the table and chairs. Ask 3 times over the length of your conversation, after they say no the third time, tell them your getting in touch with the BBB. If you still don't have your money, do not talk to them after that unless its in writing by registered mail stating that you are taking legal action. If it still goes on past that, put the table and chairs in a truck and go down by their store on a saturday with your invoice showing how much you paid and how they are not helping you out.. bring signs saying something along the line of "Beware of Sklar" and tell the story to any customers that ask. If they still don't do anything for you just cut your losses there and move on :)

Here is their head office information:

Sklar Peppler
Address : 274 MacKenzie, Ajax, ON L1S 2E8
Telephone : 905-427-1331
Category : Furniture Mfrs
Directory : Ajax-Pickering

Here is their mission statement:

MISSION

To establish Sklar Peppler as a leading branded supplier of quality mid-priced residential upholstered and occasional furniture for the North American market. The company is focused on providing innovative and fashionable product designs for all lifestyles; product engineering to achieve the highest quality standards; global sourcing combined with North American manufacturing capabilities to provide quick response and maximum value; and a commitment to full customer satisfaction.

KEY TO SKLAR PEPPLER’S ONGOING SUCCESS IS OUR COMMITMENT TO:
• Providing products of superior quality, fashion and comfort to enhance the
enjoyment and lifestyles of our consumers.
• Providing products of excellent value by being innovative and cost competitive
on a global basis.
• Exceeding our customers’ expectations.
• Creating an environment for our employees, customers and suppliers which
fosters continuous improvement.
• Dealing with each other, our customers and our suppliers in an open, honest and
fair manner.

Excellence in quality, value and service are the hallmark of our company and brand name - Sklar Peppler. Our objective is to make our brand the best in the industry - symbolic of trust and product enjoyment for the consumer.

Here are some other interesting things off their web site:

If I have a question regarding billing or financing, who should I contact?
Please be sure to contact the independent retail dealer from whom you made your purchase. Sklar Peppler Furniture Corporation does not handle billing or financing for any of the authorized dealers. Since these dealers establish their own policies and procedures regarding the terms of the sale, billing, financing, etc., any questions regarding the sale of your furniture should be directed to them.

and..

What is the relationship between Sklar Peppler Furniture Corporation and the Sklar Peppler Furnishings Stores?

All Sklar Peppler Furnishings Stores are independently owned and operated. Their affiliation with Sklar Peppler Furniture Corporation are as licensees through a licensed operating agreement.

Orbie
04-03-2007, 03:40 PM
When I was buying furniture for my place a few years back I remember going to Sklar Pepplar in the Deerfoot Meadows location. Seemed like a really nice place, the furniture seemed to be on the higher end of things. Of course my opinion changed pretty fast after a few minutes. First they watch you like a hawk (like you're going to steal something) with these disapproving holier-than-thou looks (like you won't be able to afford anything). We were there for half an hour or so and no once came to talk or help us, and by then I didn't want to deal with them anyways so we left.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with them, definitely doesn't surprise me from what I saw. I hope you win some type of reimbursement for your troubles.