PDA

View Full Version : Car shipping disaster

bennyhanna
04-03-2007, 07:53 PM
So heres the deal

I bought a car in Vancouver, got a great deal on an A4, then since Im living in Calgary I needed a way to get it back.
Option 1 was to fly back and drive the car back.
Option 2 was to ship it back by Rail.

I Chose option 2 due to the fact that it would be a long drive and I didnt have snow tires. Great, I booked with a specific one, as Ive heard great things about them and spoke to a few people who actually have shipped with them.

My Brother drops the car off at their Annacis Island depot on the 14th of March. I was advised that it should be an 8 consecutive day delivery date, most likely sooner due to the Drop off and Pick up at their Lots.

As you have guessed by this point, the car was not delivered by the specified date, so I started to call them around the 23rd of March. I spoke to a girl at their head office, and was directed to call the "Calgary" depot.
So I did, and got another girl who advised me that "Its not 8 consecutive days, its Business days" So I take what she says with a grain of salt.

So I wait, call back on the 28th of March and get the same girl, who proceeds to throw mad attitude at me. Ok tell me how to get a rental car.....she says to call the claims department.

Up to this point Ive been calm, never yelled, but im obviously pissed. New Car, I would like to be able to drive it.

I call the Claims department, and speak to a guy there. He confirms that it is in fact 8 consecutive days, and that they are having delays due to a mud slid just outside of Kamloops.

Ok, Act of God, I understand. He then proceeds to offer me $$ off the cost of shipping. This is without me even asking. I agree to it, and Im told that I should receive a call on the 2nd of April to pick me car up.

So no call, on the 2nd of April......shocked

So I call into the Claims department this morning, and speak to the Guys again, and he genuinely sounds shocked that I don't have the car yet.
At this point Im suggesting that I should not have to pay for ANY of the shipping, he suggests that I should pay something, but it will be minimal.

So Here I am
20 days after the car was dropped off at the Lot, still without my car.
I feel like Im being held Hostage by this company.

Anyone offer any suggestions? Ideas?

black_radiation
04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
is there a depot office or anything in calgary, go throw a bitch fit at them, works better in person, i work in retail and if you bitch enough, you get anything you want.

be polite at first, tell them your situation and if they start to give u the run around just simply state for them to "stop fucking with you" give you a straight answer and get your fucking car before you call bbb (better business bureau)

The Cosworth
04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
call police as its a vehicle and is stolen/missing?

calgarys13
04-03-2007, 08:25 PM
if this is with hansens get used to it....just wait for the call

Prolifique
04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Hansen damaged my modified vehicle to the point of no return, they then gave me an agreement cheq of 1000.00 for the sur plus of damages on the vehicle. They can be good though as they are E-bays primary method of transportation. If it is Hansen I know the name of the main manager for the North Amercian district and the girl who situates the claims,If I could be of any help lemme know.

canadianskyline
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
This is perfectly normal for shipping. Every time i ship a car from Vancouver it takes way longer than it should. Last one took like 20 days, yours should be there soon!!

hjr
04-03-2007, 09:50 PM
well you are clearly not being screwed. you have somebody on your side, but there is an act of god in the way. I dont see the problem. sometimes in life things dont go our way. You will get your car - albeit late, and a serious discount on shipping cause you were decent to the claims guy and he is on your side. Dont fuck it up, be patient.

Euro838
04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm...I've never had a problem with Hansens, they always been helpful if it's been late and never more than a few days. I'm not sure how often or when the Vancouver depot ships but places like Toronto only ship once a week (every Friday) so if you drop it off on Monday, it'll sit on the railcar. As for damage, it should only be caused in the loading and unloading as the railcars are covered and your car is secured down. The only way I could really see your car being extensively damaged during transport is if they have some kind of derailment. It sure sucks to have this happen to your car but like others say, treat the people like you would if were on the other end of the phone. It's not like they are going to go and pick up your car themselves, they just have processes to follow like everyone else.

bennyhanna
04-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Wow

I had no idea that this was the "Norm" in shipping from Vancouver to Calgary.

If I had, I would never have used the shipping company.

At this point, its not even about the $

I just want my damn car

trieu
04-03-2007, 10:39 PM
So is Hansen's usually pretty good or is Searail better, and are there any other better shipping companies, might need to ship a car from the states.

That.Guy.S30
04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
^ i would also like to know.

i need a car transported to montreal.

hensens? searail? cn?

JordanAndrew
04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow, 20+ days already and you still don't have the car eh? Man I hate that feeling when you purchase something and you expect to get it in a certain ammount of time but alas it always getting fucked up. Update us with your car man, hopefully there's no damage at least.

bignerd
04-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

hensens? searail? cn?

I have used Searail before, does take longer than you think, car arrived unscathed however the interior was excessively dirty-was a brand new car, my only complaint.

DC2
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
This makes me reconsider shipping my car :thumbsdow

ianmcc
04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
This is why your car is late...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/slide5m.jpg
Rail line washed out near Lytton, B.C.

Mr_ET
04-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Dude 20 days and you're calling it a disaster?:drama:

Call it a disaster when it takes 90 days and they damage the car. Until then be patient this is perfectly normal and even with that you are getting a discount on shipping.

You're never better served than by yourself. In the car world you will need much patience.

Crymson
04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

Call it a disaster when it takes 90 days and they damage the car. Until then be patient this is perfectly normal and even with that you are getting a discount on shipping.

You're never better served than by yourself. In the car world you will need much patience.

I agree, i would currently classify this as a "fiasco", or a "crisi-tunity" if you end up waiting an extra week or two and get out of a 500$ bill.

I would wait until recieving or never recieving, the car before ugrading it to a "disaster"

bennyhanna
04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

I understand about wait times and shipping delays.
Its about the attitude that I recieved when calling about the car.

Anyways, its water under the bridge

I wrote an email to the President of the Company after posting this. He answered the email within 2 hours, and advised me that the issue would be resolved today.

About 20 mins ago, I recieved a phone call from the GM of the Shipping yard here, and was advised that my car would be ready for pickup tomorow morning and that there would be no charge for shipping.

Crymson
04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
CRISI-TUNITY!

projekz
04-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

hensens? searail? cn?

Searail:thumbsup: I've shipped 5 BMW's from Montreal to Vancouver with Searail. Not a single hitch...

BerserkerCatSplat
04-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
CRISI-TUNITY!

I'm going to steal that word. :rofl:

Crymson
04-04-2007, 09:26 AM
I stole it from homer.

DC2
04-04-2007, 09:58 AM
wow no charge for shipping?!?!
okay, I hope there is a bit of a delay for mine than haha.

trieu
04-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know about the taxes and stuff if you are reciving a vehicle as a gift from the states? I looked on the RIV site but can't find anything

Amysicle
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by trieu
Does anyone know about the taxes and stuff if you are reciving a vehicle as a gift from the states? I looked on the RIV site but can't find anything

Nice thread-jacking.

Try customs, they seem to like taxing everything that comes into the country.
Canada Customs (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/bringing_goods/motor_vehicles/menu-e.html)

Rarasaurus
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I shipped using Hansens from the US and did not have an issue. I researched a lot into it when deciding on a company and found a lot more complaints with searail. Also hansens has insurance if they do scratch your car. Searail tried to get me to sign a form that said if they scratch it i cant make a claim against them and if the car is completly totaled or lost i can only claim up to 10g. That was a little too ridiculous for me to accept specially since the car is worth double that.

heavyD
04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
You only recommend Searail to people that you hate. Do a search on Searail also take a look at their less than stellar record with the BBB. I was a victim but you don't have to be. Don't use Searail!!!!!

Mr.William
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
You only recommend Searail to people that you hate. Do a search on Searail also take a look at their less than stellar record with the BBB. I was a victim but you don't have to be. Don't use Searail!!!!!

Agreed :thumbsup:

IRL
04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Here I am waiting to read about a real disaster...car totalled, car crashed, car stolen etc...all I got was some impatient ass....

good luck solving the mightly disaster of having to wait an extra few days for your car.

bennyhanna
04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by IRL
Here I am waiting to read about a real disaster...car totalled, car crashed, car stolen etc...all I got was some impatient ass....

good luck solving the mightly disaster of having to wait an extra few days for your car.

HAHAHA

Im glad this thread was a huge dissapointment for you.