PDA

View Full Version : average salary in calgary?

stevescivic
04-03-2007, 10:44 PM
what is the average salary of a post secondary graduate in calgary? what salary is considered fairly reasonable in this city?

I've always wondered this but I don't seem to see much about this topic (or maybe I just didn't look hard enough).

Feedback?
Thanks

bluetek
04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
I'd rather a guess for the majority of new grads it be around $40-50k starting.

JordanAndrew
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Yeah I remember I had to write a report for school about this and it's around $44-$50K with a 4.5% average increase every year.

stevescivic
04-03-2007, 10:53 PM
thanks for the reply

hmm 40-50k seems okay but I'm always hearing from oil and gas guys that they're easily making 100k / year working in their offices.

I'm not sure if 40-50 k is considered a good salary by today's standards esp. when I'm hearing oil and gas guys telling me that they purchased all these toys and houses with their huge salaries. The only thing that would suck with oil and gas is that often the guys making the huge coin are the ones that are on the rigs where they work so much that they never see their families.

Not sure how to pose this question I guess.... I'm tired and frustrated that things are getting so expensive everywhere.

bluetek
04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
^^Ya no doubt. I got a friend who is working with a large O&G company in Calgary. He says he's making reallly good money, but he cant wait till he gets outta there. He hates it!! The work isnt very appealing, and everyone in the office isnt very nice. ect. ect. Anyway take it for whats it worth, but thats one opinion.

mo_money2supe
04-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Try this link: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/157522/whats-your-salary/

Beyond may not be the best sample population, but at least it's a good start for determining the general new graduate starting salary.

JordanAndrew
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
There is, without a doubt, a lot of money behind oil and gas. You gotta ask yourself this question though, would you rather work in a good paying job and feel shitty and miserable the whole time you're doing it? Or would you rather get a job that you will truly enjoy but make less money?

In the end, it's not always about the money. You can have all the toys, cars, huge houses in the world and not be happy. Just my 2 cents.

What you can always do though is work in the oil and gas for a little bit, say 3-5 years, save most of that money and get out. Then you can pursue your real career that you want to be. It will take a lot of commitment getting out though because the money is really good but if you pull it off, it's a win win situation for you.

Xtrema
04-03-2007, 11:12 PM
depends on if youu have co-op experience and what field you work in.

most would start in 44-50, big o&g can be $5k more than average. a bit more still if you have experience already. This is pre bonus/pension.

If you're willing to work in ft mac, it's easy to have $60K+ start for noobs.

BigMass
04-04-2007, 07:31 AM
experience is everything, sure, in 5-10 years you can be making 100,000 but not starting straight out of school with no experience. No way, no how. $45-50 is about right

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I have been in O&G for three years.. the only people I have heard of getting anywhere near the 100k mark right out of school were heavily recruited engineers, and Investment Banking Analysts. (And others in similiar occupation) Keep in mind with the IB route, you are working 80-100hrs a week. Divide that by 100k and then see how good it looks...
I'd say 40-50 sound right.

Crymson
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Oil and Gas company employees, with technical university degrees (Engineers, Geologists, Geophysicists, Petrophysicsts, Resevior Engineers etc.) can start at about 50-60 right now and be at 100k within 5-6 years. That's base salary, expect another 10-20% in the form of bonuses and options.

http://www.mergisgroup.ca/

Has a bunch of engineering and geoscience postings, with salary ranges.

leec001
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
What about those in banking and financing industry?
Is there no other industries in Calgary?

krisopotamus
04-04-2007, 09:11 AM
To whom said ppl in O&G dont see their families....umm working for an oil company in calgary is the same as any other company...mon-fri 8 hours a day.

I work at CNRL, a buddy of mine is done his degree soon and is going to work in the O&G instustry starting at 65k/year. He only did one workterm in O&G. I will have 4 workterms in it under my belt when I am done so I am expecting at least 65k starting.

Right now I'm making about 43k on workterms, in my 3rd year of school. Generally about a $2.50/hr raise between each 4 month workterm.

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Do most people in the O&G field hate their jobs? I love working with O&G, and I am very happy that I chose this route for my engineering, I wouldn't go back and change it thats for sure.
Average salary last year for new-grad engineers working in O&G was 62,000... at least at my school. And I know this number goes up a fair bit every year

Crymson
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I love working oil and gas, it's very satisfying work, very interesting, there is a high level of personal responsiblity, and a high level of personal reward.

Sometimes, you get a bit saddened when you think "that well that our team drilled -- would allow us all to retire in mansions if we even got a fraction of it's eventual payout" -- but that's the trade-off with going with an established company because you also never have to think "if THIS well doesn't work, our company goes bust".

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I love working oil and gas, it's very satisfying work, very interesting, there is a high level of personal responsiblity, and a high level of personal reward.

Sometimes, you get a bit saddened when you think "that well that our team drilled -- would allow us all to retire in mansions if we even got a fraction of it's eventual payout" -- but that's the trade-off with going with an established company because you also never have to think "if THIS well doesn't work, our company goes bust".

Hehe yeah I have often thought about how nice it would be to get like a 1% cut of any profits you make for the company....

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by krisopotamus
To whom said ppl in O&G dont see their families....umm working for an oil company in calgary is the same as any other company...mon-fri 8 hours a day.

This would be more in the O&G investment side... It is VERY common to work 80-100hrs/week with the IB/Finance side. There is currently a job posting on the UofC site from Tristone that this would apply. (But would would make ~100-150 depending on experience/school)

I personally am M-F, 7-4 but in Gas trading, so no need to work long hours if the market isn't open!

89coupe
04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
The finance side of Oil & Gas for new grads is not very rewarding. ie. Accounting, Analysts, Auditers etc. Longer hours, less pay. The average salary is around $40-50K if you have less then 5 years experience.

There will always be exceptions of course.

Once you have obtained a designation and 5 or more years experience you will start to see some real money. The only fall back for the finance side is tons of hours and high stress levels.

The exploration side of Oil & Gas is much more rewarding. ie. Geologists, Geophysics, Engineers, Land. Pay levels are a little higher for new grads $50-60K range but your work load is way less and the hours are normal.

Plus the exploration side of Oil & Gas has way more perks, more lunches, more invites, more fun.

Every Oil & Gas company I have worked for in the past 15 years the Accounting side always gets the shitty end of the stick. Either side can get you that $100K salary once you gain the experience, but the Exploration side IMO is way more rewarding.

As for field positions in the Oil & Gas, yeh you can make some very good coin, but the lifestyle stinks.

The biggest money to be made in this town for young highly motivated people is investment banking. Takes the right people to know but if you can get in, do it. I know guys in their 20's making $150K plus a year. I know guys in their 30's making over a half million a year. The only problem is half of them are coke addicts with STD's from banging too many hoes...LOL

krisopotamus
04-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi

This would be more in the O&G investment side... It is VERY common to work 80-100hrs/week with the IB/Finance side. There is currently a job posting on the UofC site from Tristone that this would apply. (But would would make ~100-150 depending on experience/school)

I personally am M-F, 7-4 but in Gas trading, so no need to work long hours if the market isn't open!

No, it would be the engineering side of O&G.

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM

While CNR works pretty steady, normal days I do know drilling and completion engineers that work 6 days a week with AT LEAST 10 hour days. Plus when they get home they have to have their cell ready for calls 24/7

whodiman
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
The finance side of Oil & Gas for new grads is not very rewarding. ie. Accounting, Analysts, Auditers etc. Longer hours, less pay. The average salary is around $40-50K if you have less then 5 years experience.

There will always be exceptions of course.

The starting salary for a gas marketing accountant is 50k. The going rate for a gas marketing accountant with 1-2 years experience is 70-80k. Why such a big jump for a slightly experienced gas accountant? The reason for this is that it's very hard to hire an experienced gas accountant. Most of them don't want to do it anymore so when they leave their job they jump into operations or something else unrelated to accounting.

Oh, and no designation is necessary for being a marketing accountant but any accounting experience helps.

BigMass
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Do most people in the O&G field hate their jobs? I love working with O&G, and I am very happy that I chose this route for my engineering, I wouldn't go back and change it thats for sure.
Average salary last year for new-grad engineers working in O&G was 62,000... at least at my school. And I know this number goes up a fair bit every year

love the money, hate the work. If this whole industry goes under i wouldn't shed a tear. People on the engineering side are boring, yuppie workaholic/alcoholic no-life looser divorced assholes i wouldn’t give the time of day to in my personal life. I'd get more satisfaction stocking shelves at Wal-Mart with high school drop-outs.

In the meantime I'll ride out the boom while it lasts and milk this industry for every penny.

stevescivic
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess if the average of fairly new post secondary grads is about $40-50k then I'll accept that my job is paying reasonably. I enjoy my job but I just wasn't sure anymore if I was getting paid properly for what I do.

It kills me to hear ppl talk about making 100k / year doing nothing on rigs and in O&G in general. I know that what I hear may not always be true but when you consider that I see O&G guys all the time and hear about their toys and stuff it makes one wonder why they're busting their chops making waaay less than everyone else.

O&G is great and some like it and some won't. Personal preference and personal situation I think that will dictate whether one will go that route.

Good to know that I'm not making below average!

89coupe
04-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by whodiman

The starting salary for a gas marketing accountant is 50k. The going rate for a gas marketing accountant with 1-2 years experience is 70-80k. Why such a big jump for a slightly experienced gas accountant? The reason for this is that it's very hard to hire an experienced gas accountant. Most of them don't want to do it anymore so when they leave their job they jump into operations or something else unrelated to accounting.

Oh, and no designation is necessary for being a marketing accountant but any accounting experience helps.

Like I said, there are always exceptions, but if you think for one second the average pay for 2 years experience is $70-80K you are fooling yourself.

If you wish to challenge me on that then tell me what company and for what position because I call bullshit.

In todays industry, a designation will get you farther. Just having a degree doesn't mean much anymore.

Remember, we are taking about new grads, not people who have been in the industry for 10 plus year.

Si_FlyGuy
04-04-2007, 11:01 AM

Like I said, there are always exceptions, but if you think for one second the average pay for 2 years experience is $70-80K you are fooling yourself.

I want to know where this is too...assuming this is base salary. That's good pay for n00bz. Mercer survey figures aren't even close to that for 2 years.

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

People on the engineering side are boring, yuppie workaholic/alcoholic no-life looser divorced assholes i wouldn’t give the time of day to in my personal life. I'd get more satisfaction stocking shelves at Wal-Mart with high school drop-outs.

Haha pretty sure comments like this are exactly why engineers are dinks to everyone

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 11:18 AM

You misunderstood. :confused:
My post was saying that people that would complain about not seeing their families/having a life would be in the IB side of O&G, they are the ones that work 80-100hrs. The job at Tristone posted on the UofC site is a perfect example.

krisopotamus
04-04-2007, 12:59 PM

You misunderstood. :confused:
My post was saying that people that would complain about not seeing their families/having a life would be in the IB side of O&G, they are the ones that work 80-100hrs. The job at Tristone posted on the UofC site is a perfect example.

thanks for clarifying...i definately misunderstood :nut:

haha. makes sense now!

As for engineers being dicks.....well go fuck yourself :werd:

jmc
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by stevescivic
hmm 40-50k seems okay but I'm always hearing from oil and gas guys that they're easily making 100k / year working in their offices.

I'm not sure if 40-50 k is considered a good salary by today's standards esp. when I'm hearing oil and gas guys telling me that they purchased all these toys and houses with their huge salaries. The only thing that would suck with oil and gas is that often the guys making the huge coin are the ones that are on the rigs where they work so much that they never see their families.

Not sure how to pose this question I guess.... I'm tired and frustrated that things are getting so expensive everywhere.
Are those 100k/year jobs entry level? What are the details?

Originally posted by stevescivic
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess if the average of fairly new post secondary grads is about $40-50k then I'll accept that my job is paying reasonably. I enjoy my job but I just wasn't sure anymore if I was getting paid properly for what I do.

It kills me to hear ppl talk about making 100k / year doing nothing on rigs and in O&G in general. I know that what I hear may not always be true but when you consider that I see O&G guys all the time and hear about their toys and stuff it makes one wonder why they're busting their chops making waaay less than everyone else.

O&G is great and some like it and some won't. Personal preference and personal situation I think that will dictate whether one will go that route.

Good to know that I'm not making below average!
Can those new grad making 80k+ get back to me. Is it base salary? Any fine prints?

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Try this link: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/157522/whats-your-salary/
Beyond may not be the best sample population, but at least it's a good start for determining the general new graduate starting salary.
What kind of qualificaiton do you need for that Tristone job?

Actually never mind, ppl can get two 40hr/week job and make around the same. 100hrs/week, is that even legally allow? :dunno: That's some crazy hours :nut:

C4S
04-04-2007, 01:22 PM
No matter how many people make $100K .. 200K .. or more .

Average Canadian household total income is only $66K before tax ...

But average expense per household is $70K ....

$66K .. after tax is only $44K .. not even close to average expense $70K .. :(

adamc
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Just an interesting side note, I read in the paper last week that the average pay in Alberta was $831 per week.

Which is highest in the nation (we already knew that)

Super_Geo
04-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
People on the engineering side are boring, yuppie workaholic/alcoholic no-life looser divorced assholes i wouldn’t give the time of day to in my personal life. I'd get more satisfaction stocking shelves at Wal-Mart with high school drop-outs.

And I could say that all pipe designers/drafters are under-achieving, couldn't-make-it-to-university, degree envious, wishing they could be making the shots instead of doing the work I assign them washouts...

But I don't cause that's ridiculous... just as ridiculous as what you said about engineers above. Why can't drafters and engineers get along?

Si_FlyGuy
04-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

And I could say that all pipe designers/drafters are under-achieving, couldn't-make-it-to-university, degree envious, wishing they could be making the shots instead of doing the work I assign them washouts...

But I don't cause that's ridiculous... just as ridiculous as what you said about engineers above. Why can't drafters and engineers get along?

Drafters need justification why they can't hack it in Engineering too! :rofl:

(I'm not an engineer btw)

Hakkola
04-04-2007, 02:15 PM

What degree do you have?

whodiman
04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

If you wish to challenge me on that then tell me what company and for what position because I call bullshit.

In todays industry, a designation will get you farther. Just having a degree doesn't mean much anymore.

Remember, we are taking about new grads, not people who have been in the industry for 10 plus year.

I work for BP and work in gas marketing with 1 year GAS experience but I do have 4 years non gas experience. Nexen was advertising for the same thing not long ago for 75k.

Si_FlyGuy
04-04-2007, 02:39 PM

I work for BP and work in gas marketing with 1 year GAS experience but I do have 4 years non gas experience. Nexen was advertising for the same thing not long ago for 75k.

Most of BP is contracted work. If so, the usual frame of reference is to remove 30% to compare against permanent staff to account for benefits and bonuses. Can you confirm?

whodiman
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

Most of BP is contracted work. If so, the usual frame of reference is to remove 30% to compare against permanent staff to account for benefits and bonuses. Can you confirm?

I know most of the gas accountants and all the related depts like confirms and contracts used to be contracted through PWC, then IBM but it got so messy and the morale got killed so they got rid of most of the contracts and many people were rehired back on as BP employees. This change only took place about a year ago? I wasn't around around back then so I don't know the full story but most of the people in our departments now are no longer contract. We still have IBM doing our payables but I don't know what % of employees that would be.

89coupe
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Well then you are not fresh out of University are you. Duh!

The question was for new grads, not guys with 5 years experience. Learn to read.

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

What degree do you have?

I have a Business/Management degree... and now 3 years experience in O&G

For that Tristone posting, I believe they are looking for Finanace/Business grads.. with strong credentials. Keep in mind, although 100hrs for 150 doesnt sound that great, their bonus are very close to the same amount. Also, after working that job for two or so years, you can pretty much take your pick after that.
Here is the description:

"Job Description: This posting is for a position opening in May 2007.

Specific duties of an analyst include financial analysis, modeling,
presentation preparation, database management, and data gathering. Analysts are responsible for both quantitative and qualitative data analysis and industry research. The role of an analyst is challenging and fast-paced. It requires dedication, passion for the industry and a solid work ethic.

In addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills, ideal analyst candidates have a proven record of outstanding achievement in academic and extracurricular activities. Strong quantitative skills focused on financial analysis, accounting and computer modeling using MS Excel are important as well. Applicants must possess a strong sense of personal integrity and teamwork, display a high level of energy, have a keen desire to learn new concepts, and demonstrate an ability to quickly adapt to new situations."

Whodiman: What do you do you do for BP? Scheduling? Trading? Analyst?

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:13 PM

Well then you are not fresh out of University are you. Duh!

The question was for new grads, not guys with 5 years experience. Learn to read.

If you read carefully or cared to interpret what I said you would see that a someone starting out in Gas marketing should make 50k. within 1 year they could be at 70-80.

I guess I am technically incorrect still as someone being out of university for 1 year does not count as a fresh grad.

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM

I have a Business/Management degree... and now 3 years experience in O&G

For that Tristone posting, I believe they are looking for Finanace/Business grads.. with strong credentials. Keep in mind, although 100hrs for 150 doesnt sound that great, their bonus are very close to the same amount. Also, after working that job for two or so years, you can pretty much take your pick after that.

Whodiman: What do you do you do for BP? Scheduling? Trading? Analyst?

Still bottom of the totem pole...Gas accountant.

89coupe
04-04-2007, 03:16 PM

If you read carefully or cared to interpret what I said you would see that a someone starting out in Gas marketing should make 50k. within 1 year they could be at 70-80.

I guess I am technically incorrect still as someone being out of university for 1 year does not count as a fresh grad.

You honestly think BP would have hired you for $70-80K a year with only 1 year of experience after University??? Regardless of what it was???

Give your head a shake.

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 03:16 PM

Still bottom of the totem pole...Gas accountant.

Fun stuff... seems like a good group over there.. at least the people I deal with. Do they still have that "Challenger" program? It sounded like a good opportunity...

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM

You honestly think BP would have hired you for $70-80K a year with only 1 year of experience after University??? Regardless of what it was???

Give your head a shake.

I don't see why not as there are plenty of positions within the same company that are paying close to that without 1 year exp.

I say this because there are plenty of guys in positions higher than mine and they were hired straight out of university.

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Fun stuff... seems like a good group over there.. at least the people I deal with. Do they still have that "Challenger" program? It sounded like a good opportunity...

Do you work with gas for a different company?

Not sure what the challenger program is. Is that like a fresh grad program.

R-Audi
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Do you work with gas for a different company?

Not sure what the challenger program is. Is that like a fresh grad program.

Im with Eagle Energy Partners...

When I graduated, BP had a program called Challenge or Challenger that gave the person a large variety of experience by moving them around the company.. and I beleive it also had something to do with the Trading training program. I attended a presentation in my last year of school, so I am a little foggy on the details. Might not even be around anymore.

89coupe
04-04-2007, 03:26 PM

I don't see why not as there are plenty of positions within the same company that are paying close to that without 1 year exp.

I say this because there are plenty of guys in positions higher than mine and they were hired straight out of university.

1 year experience in a specific position or one year experience total from University?

Hired straight out of University and making $70-80K/year???

Or hired straight out of University and working for them for 5 years and are now making $70-80K/year

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Im with Eagle Energy Partners...

When I graduated, BP had a program called Challenge or Challenger that gave the person a large variety of experience by moving them around the company.. and I beleive it also had something to do with the Trading training program. I attended a presentation in my last year of school, so I am a little foggy on the details. Might not even be around anymore.

cool, i prepare the/one of invoice that we settle with you on a monthly basis.

not too sure but I would think they probably still have it. At my last company they had 4 of those fresh grads rotating between 4 positions every 6mths. I think that's an excellent program for the company and the graduates. Wish i could have done it myself.

dericer
04-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Give your head a shake.

I am w/ BP my and story is very simular. Except no University education, and an Olds Collge diploma in a completely unrelated field.

I think BP is great at rewarding their employees who show initiative, and make themselves an intrical part of their teams.

It's okay if people disagree with you. To snap at them doesn't help your point.

whodiman
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM

1 year experience in a specific position or one year experience total from University?

Hired straight out of University and making $70-80K/year???

Or hired straight out of University and working for them for 5 years and are now making $70-80K/year

As for straight out of university making 70-80 that is pretty rare but as for 60kish, that is not a stretch. Like I said, straight out of university in gas marketing will make 50k and I believe that has already been bumped up to 55k because of the market but I can't confirm that.

In my orientation last month there were 2 guys hired straight out of university in positions much higher than gas marketing but still in finance (something to do with risk analysis) so I 'm quite certain those guys are in the 60s. I say they are higher up because on our org chart they are. In our career development binder that is one of the goals we can work toward so it is a definite promotion which usually translates into more moola too. At my last company Risk was higher up than Gas accounting too.

I don't blame you for thinking I'm out to lunch for saying someone with only 1 year of gas experience can make this kind of money but the market has really changed in the last couple of years..especially for natural gas.

89coupe
04-04-2007, 03:40 PM

As for straight out of university making 70-80 that is pretty rare but as for 60kish, that is not a stretch. Like I said, straight out of university in gas marketing will make 50k and I believe that has already been bumped up to 55k because of the market but I can't confirm that.

In my orientation last month there were 2 guys hired straight out of university in positions much higher than gas marketing but still in finance (something to do with risk analysis) so I 'm quite certain those guys are in the 60s. I say they are higher up because on our org chart they are. In our career development binder that is one of the goals we can work toward so it is a definite promotion which usually translates into more moola too. At my last company Risk was higher up than Gas accounting too.

I don't blame you for thinking I'm out to lunch for saying someone with only 1 year of gas experience can make this kind of money but the market has really changed in the last couple of years..especially for natural gas.

LOL, so basically you don't know and are just guessing. WOW.:rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
(sends resume to BP) :nut:

whodiman
04-04-2007, 04:22 PM
You're too smart for me 89. I guess I shouldn't make educated estimates or debate with someone who knows much more about my own industry.

89coupe
04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
You're too smart for me 89. I guess I shouldn't make educated estimates or debate with someone who knows much more about my own industry.

About time you said something that is credible.

FYI, 15 years in the Oil & Gas industry, but hey whats an extra 10 years.:rofl:

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I know more than one person that are graduating this April who signed offers for around 65,000.
One girl got hired on for 68,000 plus a 10,000 hiring bonus (not to be racist, but she is part native, which I think might have something to do with it) with BP

TimG
04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
high tech FTW :p

Xtrema
04-04-2007, 05:20 PM
I know more than one person that are graduating this April who signed offers for around 65,000.
One girl got hired on for 68,000 plus a 10,000 hiring bonus (not to be racist, but she is part native, which I think might have something to do with it) with BP

Hiring bonus are where's it at for new grads. Syncrude gave (is giving?) $25K for grads who are willing to work in Ft. Mac.

dericer
04-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
(sends resume to BP) :nut:

More accuralty. To me (Employees get bonuses for referrals) ;)

Si_FlyGuy
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dericer

More accuralty. To me (Employees get bonuses for referrals) ;)

What kind of bonuses? I'll split 50/50. ;)

Send me a listing of available financial positions...but one thing, I'm quite expensive. :p

kaishen
04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
sorry to ride on this thread.

may i ask what does a fresh grad, just out of uni, get? what is the range like?

bachelor degree in electrical engineering.

is there any discrimination if you are not from canada?

am thinking of gg over calgary to look for a job. what are my chances?

Super_Geo
04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by kaishen
sorry to ride on this thread.

may i ask what does a fresh grad, just out of uni, get? what is the range like?

bachelor degree in electrical engineering.

is there any discrimination if you are not from canada?

am thinking of gg over calgary to look for a job. what are my chances?

Unless you get a degree from a North American university you will have a hard time. There are some people at my office who have foreign engineering degrees... they're working as drafters with their SAIT (local college) diploma now.

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Bachelor in Electrical Engineering the average is probably around 40

lewdvig
04-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Average is $60-70k (I know a teacher that started recently at just under 60 with more than 4 months per year off)

A hard working trades person can crack 100k+

A hard working sales person at a reputable b2b outfit can do $100-150k.

Professional designations are higher (with bonuses).

Lots of menial jobs in the $13-15/hour range that is $26-30k to work at 7/11 (2000 hours per year).

lewdvig
04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Bachelor in Electrical Engineering the average is probably around 40

I think you can do better than that with an Engineering degree. When I graduated from UofC in 1996 with a History degree that was pretty close to what I started at.

Of course in 5 years time the ramp up will be awesome, especially if you work hard.

I think you are not looking hard enough if you are considering any professional job at less than $50k.

lewdvig
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Hiring bonus are where's it at for new grads. Syncrude gave (is giving?) $25K for grads who are willing to work in Ft. Mac.

so a month's rent basically...

:D

I keed, I keed.

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig

I think you can do better than that with an Engineering degree. When I graduated from UofC in 1996 with a History degree that was pretty close to what I started at.

Of course in 5 years time the ramp up will be awesome, especially if you work hard.

I think you are not looking hard enough if you are considering any professional job at less than $50k.

I know more than a handful of CivE's that were hired on for this May for like 42. I don't see electrical engineers getting any more than civil's

Euro_Trash
04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Actual average for electrical engineers in Alberta in 2005 was 75,100 (that is NOT just new grads, thats everyone)

whodiman
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM

About time you said something that is credible.

FYI, 15 years in the Oil & Gas industry, but hey whats an extra 10 years.:rofl:

Btw , what type of position are you in and are you specifically in oil or gas?

I'm not saying you don't know anything but I think times have changed in the last year let alone two or three. I found this year that when I was only making 50k I was being paid well under market and that's when I made the jump.

When I asked a previous coworker about a risk position (3months ago) I asked what the starting salary was. You could almost say I was starting with no experience as I had no risk experience. Instead of telling me what it was she asked me how much I made. She then told me if I got on in that department I could expect to make a very noticable raise. That was with a smaller company that didn't even pay well which is why I am very certain about my estimates.

You might have more experience than me but sometimes slightly different situations can mean a big difference in information. Like some of the posts here, it's not uncommon for fresh grads to make 65 and I was only referring to people who had 1 year of experience.

Nomesayin
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Some of my buddies that'll be graduating from u of s in electrical engineering are starting at around 55k working in calgary, not in o&g though.

lewdvig
04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Actual average for electrical engineers in Alberta in 2005 was 75,100 (that is NOT just new grads, thats everyone)

Ouch. That is a tough program for a low up-side I think.

I guess a liberal arts degree really paid off - for me at least. I still see people from my classes working in jobs that are beneath them, but that might have more to do with ambition and self worth.

If I had it all to do again, I would go into construction (my dad was in construction). Hard work, but the pay is great and eventually you can start your own company and make really good money. General contractors that hustle and do good work can make insane amounts of money.

kaishen
04-05-2007, 04:46 AM
i see.. is 50 k a lot of money over in calgary? got to check since i am from asia. It sounded quite a bit to me, but prob i am still a student.

Euro_Trash
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by lewdvig

Ouch. That is a tough program for a low up-side I think.

I guess a liberal arts degree really paid off - for me at least. I still see people from my classes working in jobs that are beneath them, but that might have more to do with ambition and self worth.

If I had it all to do again, I would go into construction (my dad was in construction). Hard work, but the pay is great and eventually you can start your own company and make really good money. General contractors that hustle and do good work can make insane amounts of money.

Only thing is, that doesn't include any bonuses that they would have got. I know that the average salary for Petroleum engineers was 105,000 salary with an average of 50,000 in bonuses last year (reported by the SPE for Canada). For all I know, EE get the same sort of deal.

Aleks
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Money isn't everything guys.

DUBBED
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
The first ten years of your career should be about gaining as much experience as possible, give someone a reason to pay you 200k a year, then worry about what the average salary is.

The point is, if all you're worried about is a paycheck, then you will most likely hate you job a year down the road anyway.

Euro_Trash
04-05-2007, 11:13 AM
And I will still hate my job if I am not getting paid well....

Tik-Tok
04-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Money isn't everything guys.

:werd: I could be making $10-15k more a year, and better benefits somewhere else, but I like my job, I like my fellow employees (for the most part), and we have fun at work.

(plus I get $65K for only working 25 hours a week, lol)

BigMass
04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

You miss-understood me. i was talking about the whole damn business not just engineers in particular. What i meant about " Engineering side" encompasses all the disciplines that work together to put out a final product. Basically everyone working in EPCM. Piping, Process, Civil, Electrical. The whole damn industry is filled with corporate zombies

jmc
04-05-2007, 01:48 PM
In general: right now, there is no such thing as 80K Base Salary for new grad with No experience (40 hr/week, no fine prints, etc.)
But if there is, where do I apply :rofl: