PDA

View Full Version : 15 brit sailors released

Toma
04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
As a gift to the british people

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42766000/jpg/_42766649_crewrelease310getty.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6525905.stm

:thumbsup:

Let the sotries of torture and false confessions begin! lol :poosie:

shakalaka
04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
haha it's all over the news here right now.

Toma
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Good analysis by Paul Reynolds
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6526359.stm

01RedDX
04-04-2007, 03:23 PM

l8braker
04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
You can be sure that if the tables were turned, the Iranians/Muslim world would still be burning shit and plotting revenge after the return of their people. The Brits responded with "No ill will".

ken-gsr
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I am just glad to see that they have been released - hopefully with out to much harm.

Toma
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Yep, Iran and Ahmadinejad... the new masters of public relations.

Fuck they suire came out of it looking like heros, and the Brits like hard ass-asswipes....

I love it :thumbsup:

Ahmadinejad also learnt that he could manipulate our stock markets and oil prices very easily.... I wonder how much money he made??

TimG
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
i guess they can't afford ties in Iran :nut:

Toma
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
It's gonna be THAT much harder for them to come up with an excuse for an attack on Iran as well now...

Canmorite
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Barely moved the Oil price...

Toma
04-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Barely moved the Oil price...
10% is hardly barely....
not to mention the drop we will see tomorrow....

Xtrema
04-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Fuck they suire came out of it looking like heros, and the Brits like hard ass-asswipes....

What? Brits were quite civilized too. Other than a bit of strong language there's no display of power.

Regardless, Iran do come out ahead.

My question is, what's Syria's role in the mediation? Why did they poke the nose in?

creeper
04-04-2007, 10:36 PM
The situation is - if the soldiers weren't returned ASAP, unharmed - Iran would have had bombs raining down upon it. It's not a political victory for Iran, it's a move to avoid being devastated completely in a savage Israel vs. Lebanon style bombing campaign. A bunch of fancy parades showing your foot soldiers means nothing, what does mean something is jets, and bombs raining down from above. In the future the US & UK will eliminate the ground troop element from combat, and stick strictly to the skies.

Iran made a foolish move, and decided to give it up before it got worse (for Iran).

Iran - enjoy the sanctions.

Toms-SC
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
They made her wear a head scarf, I lol'ed.

hjr
04-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by creeper
The situation is - if the soldiers weren't returned ASAP, unharmed - Iran would have had bombs raining down upon it. It's not a political victory for Iran, it's a move to avoid being devastated completely in a savage Israel vs. Lebanon style bombing campaign. A bunch of fancy parades showing your foot soldiers means nothing, what does mean something is jets, and bombs raining down from above. In the future the US & UK will eliminate the ground troop element from combat, and stick strictly to the skies.

Iran made a foolish move, and decided to give it up before it got worse (for Iran).

Iran - enjoy the sanctions. you should try reading this article (already posted) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6526359.stm

the UK is in NO place to attack iran. no place at all.

ZEDGE
04-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Let the sotries of torture and false confessions begin! lol :poosie:

lmao

on queue

01RedDX
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Toma
04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
They made her wear a head scarf, I lol'ed.
Tom, I know you're some kind of genius and all.... with a hair cut like that, I was sure that was from some brain reduction operation..... but how do you know they MADE her?

Didn't you notice, that sometimes, people out of respect for other cultures within which they are guests CHOOSE to do so? Did they FORCE Pelosi to wear one on her tour?

Enlighten me oh wise one? :poosie:

Toma
04-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

lmao

on queue
Well, it is MY thread after all.... Just curious if the brits are gonna try and spin this?? At this point, they lost, and lost BIG, so their best move is to STFU lol.

Whatever you make of this, it was BIG of Iran not to try and trade these 15 for the 5 Iranians the US kidnapped over a month ago. Good show of "sportsmanship". LOL What a move...... :thumbsup:

Toma
04-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by TimG
i guess they can't afford ties in Iran :nut:
No, they dont wear ties in Iran.... its against some Islamic law...

TimG
04-05-2007, 07:43 AM

No, they dont wear ties in Iran.... its against some Islamic law...

you're serious..?
:dunno:

Toms-SC
04-05-2007, 08:15 AM

Didn't you notice, that sometimes, people out of respect for other cultures within which they are guests CHOOSE to do so? Did they FORCE Pelosi to wear one on her tour?

Enlighten me oh wise one? :poosie:

You know what, your right. After this female sailor was captured at gun point I am sure the first thing that came out of her mouth was 'Excuse me, may I have a head scarf so I don't offend your culture'. I bet she had the choice too, wear it or we go Jihad on your ass.

Earth to Toma, come back down please.

kertejud
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM

Didn't you notice, that sometimes, people out of respect for other cultures within which they are guests CHOOSE to do so?

A guest? Is that what they're calling detainees now?

Does that make Gitmo like Club Med?

Toma
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by kertejud

A guest? Is that what they're calling detainees now?

Does that make Gitmo like Club Med?
Did you observe the brit sailors sitting there for 5 years behind barbed wire, behind cages, wearing shackles and orange jumsuits?

Or did you see them smiling, playing chess together, giving interviewsm wearing casual clothes?...

Hell, I bet they asked her to wear it, and she did.

kertejud
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Did you observe the brit sailors sitting there for 5 years behind barbed wire, behind cages, wearing shackles and orange jumsuits?

Or did you see them smiling, playing chess together, giving interviewsm wearing casual clothes?...

Regardless of how you're treated by your "hosts," being arrested and detained doesn't exactly make you a 'guest of a culture.'

Or, they gave it to her and said "put this on."

I'm sure if she had said no they would have completely understood, but she obviously knew that just agreeing to it would cause far less problems than rejecting it.

01RedDX
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM

JRSC00LUDE
04-05-2007, 09:37 AM

If that is the case then there's nothing wrong with it at all, it would just be a simple gesture of goodwill and respect and you can't fault a person for that regardless of the circumstance.

If, however, it was not a choice then it is certainly wrong. If the roles were reversed and the British were detaining an Iranian woman and paraded her to the media in a mini-skirt or a bikini there would be absolute hell to pay.

That being said, I like to think that the sailors were professional enough to see this for the political power play that it was and I would assume that they were actually treated quite well. That guy might be insane (by our western standards) but he is certainly not stupid.

01RedDX
04-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Toma
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
So, as it turns out, the British marines really were spying on Iran.

I can only imagine what would have happened to them if this story was published sooner.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1259413,00.html
well, as if there ever was any doubt :dunno:

We know the Birts and Yanks are lying, scheming bastards....

Good one if its true lol :thumbsup:

ICEBERG
04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
The captain in charge of the 15 marines detained in Iran has said they were gathering intelligence on the Iranians.

So the Truth comes out. This is no suprise to me.

Toms-SC
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Read the whole thing fuckernaughts

---
He told Sky Correspondent Jonathan Samuels: "Basically we speak to the crew, find out if they have any problems, let them know we're here to protect them, protect their fishing and stop any terrorism and piracy in the area," he said.

"Secondly, it's to gather int (intelligence). If they do have any information, because they're here for days at a time, they can share it with us. "Whether it's about piracy or any sort of Iranian activity in the area. Obviously we're right by the buffer zone with Iran."

He said: "Modern military operations all have an element of gathering intelligence. "We need to understand as much as we can about the environment we operate in and intelligence gathering is an every day part of that."He added: "The UN mandate would clearly empower the military taskforce to gather information about the environment in which they were working." Captain Air said that fishing dhows had been robbed by Iranian soldiers on a number of occasions.
---

Whoa whoa, slow down. Thats some mighty high tech intelligence gathering right there. :rofl: 'Excuse, how are you today?' = INTELLIGENCE! Here is the rest of the article.

---

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1259451,00.html

---

So the boat they were searching was robbed by Iran's soilders and the Britians were asking about it on their UN mandated patrol. Nice 1.

BlueGoblin
04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Given the hostility bewteen the UK/US/Iraq and Iran, certain intelligence gathering is perfectly legitimate and 'above board'; what they have 'admitted' to is gathering intelligence on Iranian Piracy.

Even standing near the border and gazing across can be interpreted as 'intelligence gathering.' So can asking anyone who has been to Iran, "So, how was it?"

This is not some watershed revelation, and certainly there has been no account of spying given.

alloroc
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
The captain in charge of the 15 marines detained in Iran has said they were gathering intelligence on the Iranians.

So the Truth comes out. This is no suprise to me.

The Iranians were suckers.

I'm willing to bet getting captured was also part of the plan.

Toma
04-06-2007, 08:45 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6533069.stm

lol

Royal Marine Captain Chris Air said it became apparent that opposing their captors was "not an option."

"If we had, some of us would not be here today, of that I am completely sure," he said.

aklalani
04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
did they give them suits to wear? haha

ZEDGE
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM
So Iranian soldiers go around robbing boats... why does this not surprise me....?

:thumbsdow

ZEDGE
04-06-2007, 10:44 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6533069.stm

lol

Just look at all the lies coming from these people...

Its impossible for a British person to tell the truth we all know this.. evil fiend westies..

;)

Royal Navy personnel seized by Iran were blindfolded, bound and held in isolation during their 13 days in captivity, the crew have said.

They were lined up while weapons were cocked, making them "fear the worst", one of the 15 freed sailors revealed.

The crew were told that if they did not admit they were in Iranian waters when captured that they faced seven years in prison, a press conference heard.

Opposing their captors was "not an option," they said.

And after their capture the 15 marines and sailors were subjected to random interrogation and rough handling, and faced constant psychological pressure, they said.

Let me be absolutely clear, from the outset it was very apparent that fighting back was simply not an option

Royal Marine Captain Chris Air, 25, from Altrincham, Cheshire, explained why they had not fought back when confronted by the Iranians while carrying out a routine operation.

"We are aware that many people have questioned why we allowed ourselves to be taken in the first place and why we allowed ourselves to be shown by the Iranian authorities on television.

"Let me be absolutely clear, from the outset it was very apparent that fighting back was simply not an option".

"Had we chosen to do so then many of us would not be standing here today. Of that I have no doubts".

Had they resisted there would have been a major fight and "one we could not have won."

Random interrogation

Two of the crew read out a prepared statement to the press conference at the Royal Marines Barracks at Chivenor, in north Devon.

Lieutenant Felix Carman, 26, of Swansea, south Wales, said the sailors and marines were on an operation on 23 March, 1.7 nautical miles from Iranian waters, when they were captured.

Cpt Chris Air said the crew had made it clear they were on a "routine operation allowed under a UN mandate" but the Iranians had a "planned intent."

"Some of the Iranian sailors were becoming deliberately aggressive and unstable."

Their boat was surrounded by six boats and rammed and they were trained with heavy machine guns and weapons.

During their captivity the crew spent nights in stone cells, sleeping on blankets and were kept in isolation until their last few nights.

The only woman in the group, Leading Seaman Faye Turney was told by her captors the others had been freed and gone home.

The officer in charge Lt Carman said: "We were interrogated most nights, and presented with two options.

"If we admitted we had strayed, we would be on a plane back to the UK soon. If we didn't we faced up to seven years in prison".

He continued: "We were kept in isolation until the last few nights, when we were allowed to gather for a few hours together, in the full glare of Iranian media.

When they finally learned they were going to be released from watching the Iranian president on TV he said "there a huge moment of elation".

The navy has already begun a review of the circumstances leading to the capture.

Toma
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
lol... yep.

Comes down to a matter of perspective.

For me, Iran has at least some credibility.... I mean, have they been caught in a lie?

Then, the "west", has credibilty less then zero... everything they say is basically a lie... so?? :dunno:

Like I said, as poor pions, we will never know the truth.

ZEDGE
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
lol... yep.

:truth: :D

DayGlow
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
lol... yep.

Comes down to a matter of perspective.

For me, Iran has at least some credibility.... I mean, have they been caught in a lie?

Then, the "west", has credibilty less then zero... everything they say is basically a lie... so?? :dunno:

Yes, they were caught in a lie. Their original position they gave to Britain during discussions showed they were in Iraqi waters. When they were informed of this they revised their 'official' position so they were Iranian waters. I posted the link in the other thread for you. You conveniently ignored it.

Toma
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

Yes, they were caught in a lie. Their original position they gave to Britain during discussions showed they were in Iraqi waters. When they were informed of this they revised their 'official' position so they were Iranian waters. I posted the link in the other thread for you. You conveniently ignored it.
According to the Brits....