PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Glass Bumpers

BigShow
06-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Will a fiberglass bumper & a urethane bumper look the same when painted? or would a fiberglass bumper have a certain look to it?

When mixing a urethane body kit w/ fiberglass body peices can you tell the differences? (appearance wise)

sin
06-04-2003, 04:21 PM
as far as i know they look pretty much the same, urethane is just way more durable

Redlyne_mr2
06-04-2003, 04:27 PM
As long as its installed properly you cant tell

Weapon_R
06-04-2003, 07:11 PM
No you can't tell the difference.

Wildcat
06-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by sin
as far as i know they look pretty much the same, urethane is just way more durable

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
As long as its installed properly you cant tell

Originally posted by Weapon_R
No you can't tell the difference.

:werd: :werd: :werd:

urethane is the way togo..

kinda off topic; is polyurethane different from urethane? or is it just a fancy way of saying it?

tomsweet1990
06-04-2003, 09:57 PM
urethane is the wya to go
they can work the same but the fibreglass takes way more work to look the same but don't look any diffetrent when the;re done
urethane would be wya more durable when it's done and will be way less hassle in the long run

BigShow
06-04-2003, 11:06 PM
thanks for the feedback! :thumbsup:

three.eighteen.
06-07-2003, 06:58 PM
not to mention fiberglass cant really take hits...that's what is deterring me from blowing cash right now on fiberglass replica pieces

rice_eater
06-07-2003, 10:05 PM
i really hate my fiberglass back bumper :banghead: the urethane front however is a totally different story. Spend the extra money and go with urethane :thumbsup:

SI-vic
06-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Fiberglass does have nicer bumpers though...
but with my fiberglass bumper, i've had to dish out more then i wanted to fix it.
If I could've, I woulda most likely gotten Urethane instead of fiberglass.

gcycheun
06-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Fibreglass is harder to shape especially if your bumper needs modifying which is in most cases. Fibreglass also cracks easily. Only good thing about fibreglass is cost and it wieghs a lot less. IMO i would only get fibreglass side skirts

Weapon_R
06-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by gcycheun
IMO i would only get fibreglass side skirts

Why sideskirts? Skirts touch the ground and suffer more abuse than any other part in the car :confused:

Fiberglass does have the benefit of being lighter, more affordable, and being more readily available. The selection for fiberglass kits is superior to those of urethane.

Illusionsir
06-08-2003, 09:56 PM
There are pros and cons to both applications.

Urethane

Pro: gives more and will therefore take a little more beating
Con: It will warp under summer temps unfortunatly, there is no way to fix it after it has happened.
Pro: normally fits better than Fiberglass
Con: not a very large selection unless you really like wings west.

Fiberglass

Pro: Cheap and always avalible for most applications
Con: can crack paint if put under cold enough temps.
Myth: fiberglass doesnt crack or warp if you got the bumper from a good manufacuter i.e. Vis Racing
Pro: easy to repair
Con: Easy to break

Just about the whole exterior of my car is fiberglass. it has sat through 2 of calgarys crappest winters and still fits just as good as when i bought it. people seem to assume that if you put a fiberglass bumper on a car, the second the bumper makes contact with any solid object, it will blow off your car. very un true, when my car was 2 inches of the ground, my body kit got a beating of a life time and only needed minor repairs!

i say fiberglass. :thumbsup:

a_peep
06-08-2003, 10:44 PM
It also depends whether the kit is Handlaid fiberglass or sprayed fiberglass. Handlaid tends to be more flexible and durable.

Wildcat
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Con: It will warp under summer temps unfortunatly, there is no way to fix it after it has happened.

never heard of this happening :dunno:

Illusionsir
06-10-2003, 07:47 AM
yup, i know a few people on this board that it has happened to...

three.eighteen.
06-10-2003, 08:18 AM
illusion is your fiberglass kit made by a 'good' company? or do even 'cheap replicas' stand up to a good beating?

sexualbanana
06-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Why sideskirts? Skirts touch the ground and suffer more abuse than any other part in the car :confused:

i dunno. i'd say my front bumper has taken 10 times more abuse than my sides

Illusionsir
06-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
illusion is your fiberglass kit made by a 'good' company? or do even 'cheap replicas' stand up to a good beating?

Yup, its made by ground designs, when i test fit the body kit, it went on perfectly, absolutly no adjustments had to be made, and so far it has taken quiet at beating. im not sure about cheap replica's im sure they would be fine, fiberglass is fiberglass no matter how you look at it.