PDA

View Full Version : Importing cars

civic_rida
06-04-2003, 05:24 PM
How much is it to import cars from the states? How large of a hassle is this?

Doodle
06-04-2003, 06:15 PM
My buddy brought an eclispe in two years ago. He had to go through a pile of work to get it in. I'll get more details for you.

mad_psyentist
06-05-2003, 07:35 AM
BIG hassle. There are reasons certain cars aren't allowed to be sold/driven in Canada (like the MR2-Spider). It's mostly because the gov't just gets too pansy at times and thinks we're better off with SUV's, gigantic Cadilacs and obscurely-branded cars like Kia and Daewoo (Yo, I have a microwave made from Daewoo, how lame is that?) If it's your run-of-the-mill non-classic car, you've got import costs, customs, GST, then you've got to bring it up to whatever anal emissions code they decide to inflict upon you, you must have to have a good reason why you need it in Canada, blah blah blah. It has to pass road tests and inspections, so buying a car that needs a few new parts won't cut it nicely. You're lookin' at about another 5-grand to import that baby, depending on market price.

jdmakkord
06-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Just make sure you have all of your paperwork done. Then they dont have any reason to hold you there. My cousin brought back his 3000gt from cali a couple of years ago, only took one day longer than normal, because his insurance papers werent dont.

RiCE-DaDDy
06-05-2003, 12:50 PM
this might help a bit

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html

88CRX
06-05-2003, 01:03 PM
its easy if it over 15 years old.... hmm... rhd crx sir :bigpimp:

nismodrifter
06-06-2003, 02:09 PM
anybody have any more information related to this process??

not just the rules defining which cars can be brought up but the actual process of what needs to be done to ensure that there are no problems at the border??

thanks

mad_psyentist
06-06-2003, 02:28 PM
1. Must pass emissions testing for whichever province you're goin' to.

2. Must pass safety and 'street legal' regulations for whichever province. If the car doesn't pass safety standards, it's not allowed in.

3. Must be insured, have plates etc. Sometimes you can get a temp. tag from the bank or something until you can get it past regulations to get insurred.

4. Must have proof of ownership (duh)

5. Must have proof of GST/PST payment, unless you wanna do this at the border.

6. Proof of payment of import costs.

7. There's some kind of form you have to get a licensed mechanic to go through, certifying that things like the muffler, cat-converter etc. meet provincial standards. That's a toughie. I don't remember if that's required at the boarder, or if that's required before the car is insured... but then they require the car to be insured at the boarder. Gah, I don't remember exactly.

8. There are certain regulations that change if the car is over 15 years old, if the car is over 25 (I think) years old (Then it's considered 'classic'), or if the car is purely a race car and won't be onthe streets. There's so many technicalities.

Best bet is to go to the registry or talk to a dealer. They'd know best. It was a nasty process last time I did it (It was for a Lincoln Spinacher) But luckily it was new and pretty much up to code, so it just had to past road, safety and mechanic inspections, and was still covered under my US insurance when I came up.

That's all I can think up off the top of my head.

RiCE-DaDDy
06-06-2003, 11:26 PM
reply to mad_psyentist,

in other words, not worth it lol

nismodrifter
08-15-2003, 02:33 AM
here's a link to check for more info

http://www.riv.ca/

Altezza
08-15-2003, 11:22 AM
I've done it before. As long as the vehicle is on the list of permissible vehicles for import, you'll have no problem. Otherwise, the vehicle will have to be 15+ years old.

The list and other instructions can be found at the RIV site posted earlier. Follow the instructions step by step and you'll have no problems. It's all about having the proper paperwork done before, during, and after the import.

nismodrifter
08-15-2003, 12:16 PM
this recall clearance letter is REQUIRED for every car? or is it only for cars that require modification after importing

max_boost
08-15-2003, 12:40 PM
"Canada Customs will collect your nonrefundable Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee of $182"

Aside from paying GST, that's all the fees you need to pay? I always thought there was some sort of percentage the government charges you for importing a vehicle over. Just like duties you have to pay anytime you ship something through UPS. haha

Altezza
08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
this recall clearance letter is REQUIRED for every car? or is it only for cars that require modification after importing

The Recall Clearance letter is easy to obtain from the manufacturer. I believe all vehicles must have this to state all the recalls and whether they have been performed on the particular VIN you're importing. If there are modifications required to your car (ie, daytime running lights) they will be documented and you'll be responsible for having that done at your own expense before you'll get new stickers from the RIV. The letter isn't required by customs when you cross the border, however it's required for the inspections when you get back up here.

Altezza
08-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
"Canada Customs will collect your nonrefundable Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee of $182"

Aside from paying GST, that's all the fees you need to pay? I always thought there was some sort of percentage the government charges you for importing a vehicle over. Just like duties you have to pay anytime you ship something through UPS. haha

Depending on where the car was manufactured, you will also have to pay 6.9% duty on the vehicle (ie Japan). You must also pay for the provincial inpsection form and the provincial inspection as well. The RIV cost includes the cost of the federal inspection.

nismodrifter
08-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

The Recall Clearance letter is easy to obtain from the manufacturer. I believe all vehicles must have this to state all the recalls and whether they have been performed on the particular VIN you're importing. If there are modifications required to your car (ie, daytime running lights) they will be documented and you'll be responsible for having that done at your own expense before you'll get new stickers from the RIV.

are DRL's required by law in canada? if the car is on the allowed vehicles list and there is no ** next to it are any modifications at all required?

any info you can give me related to insurance and importing the car?

thanks

ae1969
08-16-2003, 10:12 AM
I used a shipper called Searail. ( to import >15 year old car). It cost me $1400 canadian to ship from California to Edmonton.....

1. When the car reaches its destination. (rail yard). It must clear customs.
- So it stays in the bonded rail yard until you bring the paper work back from the customs office.
- need to pay gst on purchase price of car...........
- also duty (air conditioning, etc)
- need bill of sale to prove owner ship.

2. You need to get the car re-certified (out of province inspection)

3. Thats it.

I would do it again in a heart beat. BUT only for a car that is extremely rare or has a huge price difference.

Altezza
08-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

are DRL's required by law in canada? if the car is on the allowed vehicles list and there is no ** next to it are any modifications at all required?

any info you can give me related to insurance and importing the car?

thanks

I'm 95% certain they are required unless the vehicle is more than 15 years old, however I'm not quite certain what the exact restrictions are. The vehicle I brought up had DRLs so there wasn't a problem there. If the vehicle doesn't have DRL, it won't pass the federal inspection.

I drove the vehicle up personally (Cadillac Escalade) so I don't have any info regarding insurance and shipping.

The entire process is quite simple, just tedious. If your car is on the list of permissible vehicles (and it's in good condition) and you have all the proper paperwork filled out, it's pretty simple.