PDA

View Full Version : Hotels in Calgary

95gtchick
04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Hello :)

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alberta for this July, we're staying in Edmonton for 3 nights (already got that booked) and we're looking to stay a night or two in Calgary. What are some decent hotels for less than $130-140/night? What's a good area in Calgary? What are some good things to do? I've driven through Calgary before, but never actually stayed, or done anything.

Thanks in advance

-Krysten :)

gcycheun
04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Sheraton Eau Claire and Hotel Arts are both very modern and would be in that price range

asuth077
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM
I dont think the Sheraton is, I stayed there a year ago and payed around $200 before all of the taxes.

95gtchick
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
lol the cheapest room at the sheraton is $359/night.

B20EF
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
^^^It all depends on timing for downtown hotels. Book on the internet, you'll get the cheapest rate. If you stay downtown count on atleast $20 a day for parking and nothing will be free in the hotel like breakfeast, internet, etc. If you stay outside of downtown like on Macleod trail or by the airport you'll get cheaper rates plus usually free parking, free breakfeast, free internet etc. Downtown will have more stuff to do like, walking to Stephens Ave shopping, Eau Claire market, pubs, restaurants, bars.

BTW if you're coming for Stampede in July expect all rates everywhere in the city to double, if you can even get a room at all. All downtown hotels would have been sold out a long time ago for stampede. I work at Hyatt so i'm not just talking smack, hope it helps.

girlSTAR
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
If you are looking to get a room for $130-$150, then I wouldn't recommend trying a hotel downtown. All hotels downtown will be selling their rooms for rack rates (300+) unless you book using travel websites.

Even hotels not in the downtown area will try to sell their rooms for rack rates because of Stampede. Good luck trying to find a decent hotel anywhere in Calgary in July. I assure you most hotels are already sold out.

Oh, expect to prepay as well.

I work reservation at a downtown hotels so....

ninspeed
04-06-2007, 01:48 PM
cecil is in that range....and its right downtown.

Oldskool
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Check out the Palliser, they have rooms that arnt overly expensive.

trikypenguin
04-06-2007, 01:58 PM
haha i work at the palliser and again it depends what you book through but we arn't that cheap :P and if your coming during stampede week i wouldn't be suprised if were already sold out. If we aren't you'll be paying a pretty penny to stay here

blueToy
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 95gtchick
Hello :)

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alberta for this July, we're staying in Edmonton for 3 nights (already got that booked) and we're looking to stay a night or two in Calgary. What are some decent hotels for less than $130-140/night? What's a good area in Calgary? What are some good things to do? I've driven through Calgary before, but never actually stayed, or done anything.

Thanks in advance

-Krysten :)

Check out Tripavisor.com .
Also , Somewhere on this their site you'll read about a phenomena that is becoming quite common nowadays , where 'net bookings ' that seem secure ( you're given a reservation number , etc . ) really aren't . Folks have been complaining that when they get to the frontdesk , the hotels all of a sudden pull a " opps , your reservation didn't come thru and we're fully booked , so sorry " type of deal . The site reccommends using the phone , talking to the real person and calling before you leave home to reverify , just as a precaution .

One more thing . You may want to check out some other small towns near Calgary , or even the Hostel . Good luck .

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
cecil is in that range....and its right downtown. I second that.

ryeguy252
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/170031/fs-international-hotel-gift-certificate/

liquidboi69
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
uhh theres Calgary 5 Downtown Suites... for like.... a 900 sqr ft room its like.. 190 a night and its got its own kitchen and living room. Its like approximately the size of a.... smalll houses top flooor

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Is CGY 5 the green and white one downtown? Used to have an Office depot right beside?

01RedDX
04-06-2007, 11:02 PM

JordanAndrew
04-06-2007, 11:16 PM
I use to work there as a Conceirge (5 Calgary)
5 Calgary used to be the Hawthorn Suites so all their rooms are suites.
That doesn't neccesarily mean its gonna be the greatest quality though, the rooms there actually fairly old. But if you're looking for cheap and for the best bang for your money, the suites aren't too bad. You get a lot of space in your room, perfect for when you travel with family and friends.

Have you also tried Delta Hotel? Their rates are around that range. I use to work there as well, same position.

sl888
04-07-2007, 05:23 AM
How about all the ones on Barlow Trail??

95gtchick
04-07-2007, 07:12 AM
We're not coming for the stampede, we're staying in Edmonton for 3 nights previous to this and just coming back home through Calgary and were just looking to stay a couple of nights since neither of us have ever stayed in Calgary. I'll check in to some of the things you guys have suggested.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Euro838
04-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, if you are driving, then you may want to check out the Motels in Motel Village, there's the travelodge, Hampton Inn & Suites, etc. The C-train is right across the street and is about 10 min ride in. I haven't really stayed at these recently but some of the newer ones are supposed to be good. There's also a bunch of restaurants that are nearby too. i.e. Red Lobster, Denny's, BPs, Phil's, etc. Hope this helps.

95gtchick
04-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Sweet, thanks. Right now we're looking at a holiday inn... i forget which street it's on though. But it's $125/night. Thanks though!

What are some good things to do in Calgary (we're not so much into the club scene... but more tourism-ish stuff :))

Thanks guys :)

Euro838
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
If it's the holiday inn i'm thinking of then it's on 12 ave or something like that. Not really in the core of downtown so if you wanted to go to the Eau Claire area, it's a fair walk away and you'd have to pass through a bunch of homeless people I'm sure. Personally I'd suggest you stay somewhere else but it is close to Macleod Trail so it's quick access to the south.

Can't say there's a lot of great places to visit. There's some local attractions but they're kind of basic and simple compared to ones in the bigger cities. I mean there's the Glenbow Museum, Heritage Park, Fort Calgary, Calgary Zoo, etc but they are small time, not really that spectacular.

95gtchick
04-10-2007, 10:08 AM
That's cool. We're probably only there for 1 night, max 2 nights. So something to keep us occupied for an afternoon would be great. We'll probably do some shopping and go to the zoo. I've heard a lot of people mention the Eau Claire. What is that exactly?

girlSTAR
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Eau Claire is like an indoor market. Some of the shops in the building is closed down so its not really exciting to visit anymore.

I recommend Stephens Avenue, Heritage Park, Prince's Island Park (which is right beside Eau Claire), the zoo, and even taking a drive up to Banff. Also, there are many festivals that happen during the summer.

DC2
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
the International is a nice hotel, its not too pricey either.
its also right on 4th ave

eb0i
04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
www.expedia.ca