PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article from MIT Prof. Noam Chomsky "What if Iran Had Invaded Mexico"

Toma
04-06-2007, 11:33 AM
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=67&ItemID=12507

Toma
04-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Short snip, but go read the whole article.

Doubtless Iran's government merits harsh condemnation, including for its recent actions that have inflamed the crisis. It is, however, useful to ask how we would act if Iran had invaded and occupied Canada and Mexico and was arresting U.S. government representatives there on the grounds that they were resisting the Iranian occupation (called "liberation," of course). Imagine as well that Iran was deploying massive naval forces in the Caribbean and issuing credible threats to launch a wave of attacks against a vast range of sites -- nuclear and otherwise -- in the United States, if the U.S. government did not immediately terminate all its nuclear energy programs (and, naturally, dismantle all its nuclear weapons). Suppose that all of this happened after Iran had overthrown the government of the U.S. and installed a vicious tyrant (as the US did to Iran in 1953), then later supported a Russian invasion of the U.S. that killed millions of people (just as the U.S. supported Saddam Hussein's invasion of Iran in 1980, killing hundreds of thousands of Iranians, a figure comparable to millions of Americans). Would we watch quietly?

It is easy to understand an observation by one of Israel's leading military historians, Martin van Creveld. After the U.S. invaded Iraq, knowing it to be defenseless, he noted, "Had the Iranians not tried to build nuclear weapons, they would be crazy."

codetrap
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey Toma,

You should really adjust your Sig, it's false advertising. You're definitely Anti-American. The whole picture you performing homosexual sex on Rumsfeld kinda highlights that as well. But then again, as a serbian expatriate from the former Yugoslavia I can understand your antipathy towards the US.

Btw.. you really also might want to set your dns records for your registered domains to private, unless you want to broadcast your home address. And by extension, all the personal information that's available on you via that path.

Toma
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh, and here is Wesley Clarke admitting the US had firmly decided to attack Iraq only 10 days after 9/11

But there is more that has emerged from Hastings' "rational universe". Last month, former NATO commander, General Wesley Clark, told Democracy Now:

"About ten days after 9/11, I went through the Pentagon and I saw Secretary Rumsfeld and Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz. I went downstairs just to say hello to some of the people on the Joint Staff who used to work for me, and one of the generals called me in. He said, 'Sir, you've got to come in and talk to me a second.' I said, 'Well, you're too busy.' He said, 'No, no.' He says, 'We've made the decision we're going to war with Iraq.'

"This was on or about the 20th of September. I said, 'We're going to war with Iraq? Why?' He said, 'I don't know.' He said, 'I guess they don't know what else to do.' So I said, 'Well, did they find some information connecting Saddam to al-Qaeda?' He said, 'No, no.' He says, 'There's nothing new that way. They just made the decision to go to war with Iraq.' He said, 'I guess it's like we don't know what to do about terrorists, but we've got a good military and we can take down governments.' And he said, 'I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail.' ('Gen. Wesley Clark Weighs Presidential Bid: "I Think About It Everyday,"' Democracy Now, March 2, 2007; http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/02/1440234)

Toma
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Btw.. you really also might want to set your dns records for your registered domains to private, unless you want to broadcast your home address. And by extension, all the personal information that's available on you via that path.
LOL... ahhhh, I am flattered... are you gonna be my new stalker? :poosie: