PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Check List

alloroc
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Car Test drive Check list ...
Mostly taken from edmunds.com with some additions and editing by me.

First impression ...

Is it easy to get in and out of the car without stooping or banging your head?

Is there enough head-, hip- and legroom? Remember to check the backseat, too.

Is the driving position comfortable? Do you feel too low or too high in the car? Can you tilt or
telescope the steering wheel for a better fit?

Is the seat comfortable? Is it easily adjustable? Is there a lumbar support adjustment?

Are the controls easy to read and use?

Are the pedals situated to match your body type? If not, are they adjustable? Or does the seat adjust in height to change the angle?

Road Test ....

On the road ....

Acceleration

Engine noise

Passing acceleration (does it downshift quickly?)

Hill-climbing power

Braking (do the brakes "grab" suddenly?)

Steering (does it have any play in the wheel? is it easy to place the car?)

Cornering (does it "hug the road" or does it wallow about?) Rock the steering wheel at about 40 km/h does the car feel 'top heavy'?

Get on a quicker piece of road, is the cruise control (if offered ergonomic?) does the cruise feel natural make it change speeds does it 'hunt'?

Suspension (how does it ride?)

Seat comfort and ergonomics take someone with you arrange to have you both drive so you can get a feel for the car as a passenger.

Rattles and squeaks, new cars should not do either.

Cargo space (is the vehicle easy to load and does it expand?)

Take the car to an open lot ...

How is the visibility?
Have your partner walk around the car in a circle (about 10 feet from the car) with it parked Trace your partner with the mirrors any major blind spots?

Pretend to parallel park

What is the turning circle? does it feel agile?

If you have small children ..

Open the trunk/hatch half way, is it neutral or buoyant in weight or might it fall if held by a small child and they let go.

Go get your car seat, is it easy to install in the back seat?

How does the child fit in the seat can they see out the windows clearly?

What material is on the back of the front seats? Can it be cleaned if little ones wind up putting their wet feet on it?

Look at the power window buttons, can you bump them with the palm of your hand in any way and make the windows go up?

Do the rear windows and the door locks have a disable switch at the drivers seat?

Back at the dealership ..

Bring a tape measure and actually measure the trunk/cargo area and compare it to the dimensions of you current ride to get a feel of the space.

Are there tracks for a roof rack system?

Check under the hood are the headlight bulbs, dipsticks, and air / oil filters accessible?

What are the standard options for the model you want vs the base model? Heated mirrors, seats? Heated windshield?, Digital display? Side curtain airbags? ABS? AWD? Stereo CD changer? Cargo Hold points? Cargo Rack?

Can the dealer cut you a deal on specialty items such as cargo grates, Hitch or roof rack items (bike/roof racks/storage containers), 3M shielding, floor mats, undercoating, or diamond coat?

What are the warranty options, do you drive a lot? Pick a high milage short term, only a Sunday driver? Do they offer an extened time frame with lower mileage?

Hope this helps.

rusich
04-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks, I bet the sales guy would hate if you actually get that though.

barbarian
04-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by rusich
Thanks, I bet the sales guy would hate if you actually get that though.

Screw 'em. You got to live with this car for years.

alloroc
04-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by barbarian

Screw 'em. You got to live with this car for years.

Damn straight,

In 2005 I tested something like 20 cars and wound up choosing the legacy. But of the two dealerships here in town the dealership and salesperson that let me take my time and allowed me to make my choice were the ones that got the sale.

Russo
04-07-2007, 03:49 AM
nice list man

ae92gts
04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
i'm buying a new car today. so this is good to know

thanx:thumbsup:

98brg2d
04-07-2007, 09:43 AM
One thing I would add about cruise control is if the controls are backlit. In my truck they aren't and it makes it a pain to use at night since you can't see them. Just something I never even thought to check but turned out to be really annoying.

alloroc
04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
^ In our Legacy there is a separate stick on the steering wheel and an indicator on the dash. Totally intuivive and easy to use.

I think checking out the control ergonomics is like 5th on the list .. well up there :)