PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Cleaner

2.2vtec
04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Has anyone used any kind of fuel system cleaner? The direction on the bottle suck..is it better to pour it in on an empty tank?

Alpine Autowerks
04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
no usually it is 30 or more litres...

Tripz
04-06-2007, 11:14 PM
I use Lucas. What I do and hear from most ppl is to pour in the Fuel system cleaner right before you fill up (pour it into a near empty tank) then drive till your almost outta gas and fill.

slick2404
04-06-2007, 11:49 PM
how much of a difference can one notice with this?

Xtrema
04-07-2007, 03:41 AM
Most branded premium should have pretty good detergent in them already. So I think this is just another product that give the user placebo effect.

Tik-Tok
04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I use Red Line. Depending how old your motor is, it can make a HUGE difference.

A coworker was having trouble with his truck, it was running rough, shitty fuel economy, etc. He used this stuff once, took it on a good haul immediately after he used it, and it worked awesome. No more rough idle, and fuel economy back to original #'s.

But yes, pour it in with gas. I usually put some in WHILE fueling. I pour about 1/2 tank in, take the nozzel out, pour in the Red Line, then finish topping up the tank. Mixes it a little better I think.

2.2vtec
04-08-2007, 05:59 PM
So does it take a full cycle of gas to be used to start working?

Tik-Tok
04-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
So does it take a full cycle of gas to be used to start working?

Nope, as long as you mix part/part as per the intructions, you could only run 5 litres through, it just won't clean is as well as an entire tank full.

BoS_DC2
04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
How much are the "Red Line" Fuel Cleaners?

Do they sell it @ CT?

Tik-Tok
04-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2
How much are the "Red Line" Fuel Cleaners?

Do they sell it @ CT?

Some CT's have it, some don't, it's $11+or-

HiSpec
04-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I've heard that these cleaner don't work... Or does that only applies to the engine oil additives?

Tik-Tok
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
I've heard that these cleaner don't work... Or does that only applies to the engine oil additives?

I've never trusted any additive/cleaner until I saw with my own eyes (as my above post about the truck). I still wouldn't trust oil additives.

R!zz0
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Seafoam. That shit works good meng. Add a bottle to your full tank of gas and watch what it does. :thumbsup:

jdm_jspec
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
+1 for seafoam.....might look like you just blew something up....but in the end are real results haha

soupey
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
^where can u find seafoam in calgary again? and theres multiple places to put it in right? u can put it in the gas tank...what else?

Tripz
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by soupey
^where can u find seafoam in calgary again? and theres multiple places to put it in right? u can put it in the gas tank...what else?

Oil, gas, and through your TB (or a vacuum hose)

Edit: I get mine at Napa.

Spatz
04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
i am a part time employee of mr.lube right now. we sell a runrite fuel system clean for 89.99, the biggest waste of money out there. ive seen vechicles come back what are compeletly fucked because of the fuel system clean. I STRONGLY RECOMMENED NOT DOING A FUEL SYSTEM CLEAN!! but hey if you really want one come to mr. lube and get one, i get 6.00 commission on each fuel system i sell.
:bigpimp:

Chris88CL
04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
+1 for Seafoam. Auto Value had it last I checked. Expensive, but WELL worth it. I highly suggest doing the vacuum hose method instead of the in tank method, but whatever floats your boat.

Basically you unhook a vacuum hose at idle and stick it into the bottle. Gradually give it more and more of the seafoam without stalling it out. Let it sit 5 minutes and start it up. Sitting 5 minutes soaks all the garbage and softens it and then when you start it back up it burns it all away. Trust me you will see it come out your tailpipe.

sneek
04-09-2007, 09:35 PM

AutoValue. sometimes its 15, sometimes its 20.

soupey
04-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Chris88CL
+1 for Seafoam. Auto Value had it last I checked. Expensive, but WELL worth it. I highly suggest doing the vacuum hose method instead of the in tank method, but whatever floats your boat.

Basically you unhook a vacuum hose at idle and stick it into the bottle. Gradually give it more and more of the seafoam without stalling it out. Let it sit 5 minutes and start it up. Sitting 5 minutes soaks all the garbage and softens it and then when you start it back up it burns it all away. Trust me you will see it come out your tailpipe.

so unhook vacuum line at idle and stick it into the bottle...correct me if im wrong but is the engine off after this? and then u let it sit for 5 mins b4 starting it up? haha anyone wana help me do it to my car? ive noticed a huge loss in gas mileage and i think something like this might help my car out since its older...

soupey
04-11-2007, 10:54 AM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e7225e5b-6c4b-43c4-b6d2-98c30008e9dd.htm

minus the annoying voices...did they do that correctly? they had the engine off before sucking up the seafoam in the cup...

Tripz
04-11-2007, 11:55 AM

so unhook vacuum line at idle and stick it into the bottle...correct me if im wrong but is the engine off after this? and then u let it sit for 5 mins b4 starting it up? haha anyone wana help me do it to my car? ive noticed a huge loss in gas mileage and i think something like this might help my car out since its older...

Yes turn your car off after the seafoam process, let it sit for 5 mins (usually I just let it sit for around 30min - 1hr), then start it back up and enjoy the smoke show. Also during that time, it's good to check if you have any leaks, so watch for smokes in your engine bay, exhaust manifold, etc.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e7225e5b-6c4b-43c4-b6d2-98c30008e9dd.htm

minus the annoying voices...did they do that correctly? they had the engine off before sucking up the seafoam in the cup...

I'll help ya do it... I did it once, and I'll do it again to my own car at the same time... It's a blast to start the car up and have all that smoke come out... haha

The guys at autovalue told me it was useless when I bought it, but I liked the results... I think it's 1/4 in the tank, 1/4 in the oil crank case, and then 1/2 in the TB or vacuum line (one that feeds all the cylinders...) I used the brake booster line... So your poor it in, shut the car off, then restart it after 5 mins... What a smoke show!

stevo 27
04-12-2007, 12:03 AM
how long does this smoking last haha
cause my gas milage is like horrible in like 20k
its burin an 1/8 - 1/4 tank honostly i dunno wtfs goin on

Tik-Tok
04-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27
how long does this smoking last haha
cause my gas milage is like horrible in like 20k
its burin an 1/8 - 1/4 tank honostly i dunno wtfs goin on

If your engine is running smooth, and your burning 1/8to1/4 tank in 20 kilometers...

A) Your fuel gauge is out of whack
B) You've got a hole in your tank
C) Someones siphoning your gas
D) You've got an alchohol fueled drag car :D

djones
04-28-2007, 05:54 AM
NAPA stores have it too. used it in my wifes passat turbo...which are notorious for oil gelling. it was hard starting before the seafoam.......GOTTA SAY THIS stuff WORKS.!!!!

soupey
04-28-2007, 10:56 AM
jus used it on my camry, so far it seems like the gas mileage has gone up, it didnt make things much smoother than it was before...but definitely made the throttle response a bit edgier.