PDA

View Full Version : Can this be considered hit and run?

2K255HP
04-08-2007, 12:20 AM
So just throwing out what happened today on the streets,

traveling on the off ramp to southbound deerfoot from 16th ave, this white nissan frontier truck on my right hand side decides to cut in and brake HARD! (there wasn't anything in front of him except the car he cut behind to cause him to stop suddenly like that)

We came to a complete stop where i just barely missed him, however the lady behind me wasn't quite that lucky and smashed into my rear end. I tried to signal to the guy that he had just caused an accident as but he jets...luckily i got his plate and when i got out of my car, it seems that 2 cars behind the lady that hit me also had a fender bender.

So this guy who decides to just STOP, causes 2 separate accidents involving 4 cars...i went and talked to each of the drivers and they all saw that the truck stopped for no reason and just jetted...we called 911 and did our reports etc.

Anyways, it seems really unfair that the lady behind me and other 2 cars would have to deal with this with their insurance...the cops said they would pay that guy a visit tonight and give him a ticket, but can he be considered responsible for the 2 accidents?

Really hope he gets dinged for this and not all the other people involved.

e36bmw///
04-08-2007, 12:26 AM
nm

JordanAndrew
04-08-2007, 12:37 AM
ouch I hate idiots like that, hopefully you get this guy and rape his insurance rate.

bluetek
04-08-2007, 12:41 AM
as unfair as it is he wont be responsible or held accountable for these accidents. insurance laws in this case will be the person who rear ended whoever will be at fault as they should have given reasonable space to brake and stop safely.

so it may be unfair in a way, but thats how the law works.

403Gemini
04-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
find out where he lives
and smash the shit out his car

Welcome to beyond.ca newbie, drop the e-thug attitude, we're not 14 year olds on here.

Originally posted by bluetek
as unfair as it is he wont be responsible or held accountable for these accidents. insurance laws in this case will be the person who rear ended whoever will be at fault as they should have given reasonable space to brake and stop safely.

so it may be unfair in a way, but thats how the law works.

yup this is 100%. the 2 people behind you that got into an accident are VERY lucky they didnt get tickets for following to close.

His fault? Yes.

But you also left enough room for you to stop, as should of the people behind you.

7thgenvic
04-08-2007, 12:58 AM
too bad to hear. I had a bitch today on deerfoot purposely cut into my car Do people understand that when they tail you, your going to tap your brakes. Guess not...anywho shitt deal

2K255HP
04-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Man that really sucks, i hope he gets a ticket for reckless driving or stunting ... I JUST made it and I really feel sorry for those behind who didn't...all because of some ass wipe that decides to pull a stunt like that.

So even with 4 drivers (9 total people involved) that show that he stopped for NO REASON at all...and that quickly too....can't over rule that law to make him held accountable?

403Gemini
04-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 2K255HP
Man that really sucks, i hope he gets a ticket for reckless driving or stunting ... I JUST made it and I really feel sorry for those behind who didn't...all because of some ass wipe that decides to pull a stunt like that.

So even with 4 drivers (9 total people involved) that show that he stopped for NO REASON at all...and that quickly too....can't over rule that law to make him held accountable?

nope.

Again, you always need to leave enough room to slam on the brakes and stop.

You did, kudos. The others behind you didnt, so its technically their fault.

Dayclone
04-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Well remembering back to driver's Ed....

It's the person behind you that it's their fault because they didn't keep their following distances and smashed into you. Even though you had no control over that because the guy in front of you decides to smash on his brakes.

Which reminds me of my test drive today in the new ML350 which if you suddenly stop it has BAS ( Brake Assist ) amazing feature in the car! I think every car should have it.

But goodluck on your situtation, if your really nice just let the lady slide and not charge her for damage like not make her pay that's what I mean... but I doubt it cause she rear ended you. When someone rear ends you it's their fault for not keeping following distances.

2K255HP
04-08-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm glad the maxima has good brakes on it compared to his stupid frontier. Given that he cut right in front of me without signaling and just slammed on his brakes i was honestly glad i JUST missed touching him...

I was really hoping the guy would be responsible for all of this just because stupid a-holes like that should NOT be on the streets and to have to be responsible for 2 accidents involving 4 cars would of been a great lesson for him.

Man if your on this board be a man and step up here and admit it was you, regardless of what the LAW is i'll be finding the best way to push this as far as I can to make you get what you deserve. There's always ways around rules haha

Xtrema
04-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Shit happens. Got a guy do a 4 lane change into an off ramp cutting me off, he missed the curb by just inches.. Idiots are everywhere.

403Gemini
04-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by 2K255HP

There's always ways around rules haha

not when it comes to insurance and liability.

Just be happy that you arent liable and call it a day ;)

ZMan2k2
04-08-2007, 08:34 AM
As a word of advice for the future as well. I drive everyday for work, and it's been 10+ years since I've had even a ticket. I credit it to my thinking this

"Imagine the dumbest thing that could happen in a given situation." I would say that between 40-50% of the time, it does. But by constantly thinking about the dumbest thing, you always leave yourself an "out". A way to avoid being caught in the other drivers idiocy.

2K255HP
04-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Well yea definitely, thats how I drive my bike and thats how I drive the car also ... expect the worst.

However on a side note what happens when someone does cut in front of you and slam on your brakes and you hit them?

You WERE leaving enough stopping distance between the car in front of you and yourself, but another car cuts in and doesn't allow you sufficient time to distance yourself to a safe distance. Are you as a driver behind him still responsible for his little stunt?

lilmira
04-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I slow down the moment I realize someone is trying to switch into my lane in front of me without leaving me enough room.

It is important to predict what the others may do. It's a lot easier to avoid when you know something may happen ahead of time. E.g. if the person is checking his mirror or turning his head, he may change lane.

Another thing is to see as far ahead as possible. That's why I hate following cars with tinted windows, mini vans or trucks that won't allow me to see ahead of them.

DayGlow
04-08-2007, 03:30 PM
this is a great example of why proper follow distance is so important. You need the space to stop in case the car infront of you does an emergency maneuver such as maximum braking for a road hazard (such as being cut off by another driver).

Supa Dexta
04-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Proper distance is a myth and you know it! As soon as you open up a little room, someone is going to take it, especially in rush hour and if you keep doing it, over your ride home 100 cars will get ahead of you, and you'll be no further ahead in any sense..

403Gemini
04-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Proper distance is a myth and you know it! As soon as you open up a little room, someone is going to take it, especially in rush hour and if you keep doing it, over your ride home 100 cars will get ahead of you, and you'll be no further ahead in any sense..

True, but you get home w/o an accident ;)

DayGlow
04-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I remember someone worked out the math of having to slow down once a car moves infront of you to maintain proper distance and havign something like a 100 cars merge infront of you adds less than 2 minutes to your drive.

I have 2 minutes to not be in a collision.

Hakkola
04-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I remember someone worked out the math of having to slow down once a car moves infront of you to maintain proper distance and havign something like a 100 cars merge infront of you adds less than 2 minutes to your drive.

I also remember a study where a car braking or slowing can cause traffic jams. It was on BBC a few years ago, what might be 2 minutes for you could end up being an hour for someone else. Fluid dynamics baby. ;) A couple quick links. http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html
http://www.pbs.org/safarchive/4_class/45_pguides/pguide_904/4494_traffic.html

Lots of interesting reading, some studies show that keeping space in front of your vehicle can help ease traffic jams as well, complicated stuff. ;)

SilverGS
04-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I thought that there is a chance to fight rear end situations like this where there is enough proof that although you rear ended someone it was due to someone else's fault.

Not saying there is a high chance of winning and you would definitely have to prove it but I thought the law wasn't quite 100%

rusich
04-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I hope you do realise that Calgary roads do not have the capasity to accomodate proper distance. Maybe they did 10 years ago, when we had fewer cars, but not now.

DayGlow
04-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by rusich

I hope you do realise that Calgary roads do not have the capasity to accomodate proper distance. Maybe they did 10 years ago, when we had fewer cars, but not now.

strange, I seem able to do it fine, yes people merge infront of me all the time, yet somehow it is not an afront on my manhood as it seems to be to a lot of people. If traffic is crawling, then it is crawling, but when it's actually moving I have never had any issue with maintaining at least a 2 second gap with the car infront of me. I find it interesting because often there are 4 cars in the same distance that I leave in the lane next to me. One hard brake and they are all playing bumper cars. Sure people all the time see this openning, come over and fly up the ass of the car infront, but a half second off the gas and I'm back to the proper distance. No tangible effect on my time to where I'm going.

Your choice. Have close calls and swear and bang your steering wheel all day, or realize traffic is heavy, things are slow and drive to where you are going without hitting anything.

lilmira
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I actually keep my distance to avoid rock chip :).

That being said, I hate people staying too far behind especially on the left hand lane and not letting anyone through.

keroppi
04-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I totally understand how shitty you guys would feel and why these idiots are all over in our city. But man, think about some jerks shot somebody dead just to rob him for changes to buy smoke, the minor car accidents perhaps aint the worst we could encounter in our life :(

Anyway, I just got into a similar accident but in my case, it was a car hit another car stopped at red light, which hit me in front of him. I heard from the adjuster of the middle car that he would have to pay for my damage for a certain percentage if not 100%... I wonder how's the rule here? This middle car was absolutely innocent and he didn't follow too close... he just stopped at red light and got hit by this idiot behind him and then moved forward to rear end my car... :rolleyes: