PDA

View Full Version : quick question about selling a car in Alberta...

Gravy_83
04-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Hopefully selling my van this week but I have never sold a vehicule in Alberta being from NEw Brunswick and all. Do I need to write up a bill of sale myself or do i have to go to the registry office and write one of theirs....and what do i do with my registration...do I just sign it over to the other guy?? Do I have to go to the registry office with the person who buys it or anything or can they go themselves to register the car in their name?? I don't know the process for Alberta someone please help me hehe

gofastmerc
04-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Nothing fancy here.

Just a scrible on a piece of paper saying whatever you want to say about the car,the VIN, I would stick a "sold as is", "no liens", that kind thing. Both sign it and your done.

Does't hurt to get the reg signed over, but its no biggy.

The reg will glance at it when tou register your new car, and thats it.

Gravy_83
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
ok just covering the bases cuz nowadays you never know and i dont want to rip someone off by not knowing something about how this all gets done but thanks for the info

Team_Mclaren
04-08-2007, 11:28 PM
http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/docType41/Production/final.htm

or better yet, print off one of this:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/registries/reg3126.pdf

Gravy_83
04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
just another quick thing do I keep my plates. When I bought the van I had to get new plates for it??? Anyways thanks for the help so far.

hjr
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
yes, keep the plates. they are registered to person, not to car

Gravy_83
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
awesome thanks...gotta love the quick answers we get on here even for simple things....thanks guys

keroppi
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
u can decide to reuse your existing plates or you can cancel it and potentially get some refund of your remaining registration (usually you can get some refund if your registration still has more than 3 months (can someone confirm this?) of validity period). Even if you choose to refund the registration, you can still keep your plate and can reactivate it in future.

Lex350
04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
we just sold our old van today. I just printed the form off of the internet...kept our plate.....took thewir money...and that was that.

thank god...I was sick of looking at that thing parked in the street.