PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Dining

DC2
04-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Looking for some suggestions on what restaurants are a MUST to go to in Vancouver.

I remember reading a thread a while back on how Calgary sushi will never compare to Vancouver sushi, I don't recall the name of the restaurant though.

Somewhere not too pricey or too high class.

Also, instead of making a new thread, any suggestions on attractions? I haven't been there in three years, I can't imagine much has changed.

Kaos
04-09-2007, 04:23 AM
Richmond sushi has a great selection for a good price.
Yoshi's in Vancouver downtown is pretty good too but high priced.
If you want cheap chinese food, go to Hon's in richmond.

Those were majority of the places I ate when I go there.
I guess it depends on what you like.

Strider
04-09-2007, 09:40 PM
for Japanese (izakaya style): Guu (on thurlow or robson)
for All you can eat sushi: Ebei (on granville st)
for Korean: Jang Mo Jib (on robson or in richmond)
for Greek: Stepho's (on davie)
for "fine dining": Parkside (on Haro) has a pretty cheap prix fixe menu

wagovan
04-10-2007, 12:41 AM
+1 for guu! really authentic style izakaya (pub), and they're open to 12am on weeknights!

GTS Jeff
04-10-2007, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
Richmond sushi has a great selection for a good price.
Yoshi's in Vancouver downtown is pretty good too but high priced.
If you want cheap chinese food, go to Hon's in richmond.

Those were majority of the places I ate when I go there.
I guess it depends on what you like.

Ehhhhh Richmond Sushi is only good for late night $9.95 all you can eat sushi IMO, their quality isn't up to par with places like E-bei.

For all you can eat Korean BBQ/Jap Sushi, you can't beat Shabusen on Granville and 41st. Pimpest shit you'll ever eat.

89coupe
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Hands down the best restaurant in all of Vancouver is Lumiere's. In fact I will be bold enough to say Lumiere's is one of the best restaurants in the world.

http://www.lumiere.ca/

My review here.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/141308/lumieres-in-vancouver/

Ice712
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Honestly the Vancouver's dinning scene destroys Calgary...I second most of the suggestions made by previous posters...I also like Hapa Izakaya on Robison and Feenies which is a more casual alternative from Lumiere but it's owned by the same chef Rob Feenie.

If you want really good sushi you can't go wrong with Tojo's...it's pricey though.

bluetek
04-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
Honestly the Vancouver's dinning scene destroys Calgary...I second most of the suggestions made by previous posters...I also like Hapa Izakaya on Robison and Feenies which is a more casual alternative from Lumiere but it's owned by the same chef Rob Feenie.

If you want really good sushi you can't go wrong with Tojo's...it's pricey though.

I dont think anyone can argue with that. Vancouver dining is awesome. Been to Lumiere and wow!! the place was packed when we went, but the quality, food, and service were great. It is argueablly one of the best dining experiences i've ever had. I want to go back now!:drool:

bluetek
04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
89coupe did you end up getting a bottle of wine when you were there?

Another thing to add they had a ton of selection of quality wines. They had a bit of everything, but mostly French which is probably my favourite when having it with a meal. So ya just to say again I also highly recommend this place. Superior french cuisine!

89coupe
04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ice712

Tojo's is overrated. Food was good but the ambiance was terrible. Not worth the price IMO.

89coupe
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by bluetek
89coupe did you end up getting a bottle of wine when you were there?

Another thing to add they had a ton of selection of quality wines. They had a bit of everything, but mostly French which is probably my favourite when having it with a meal. So ya just to say again I also highly recommend this place. Superior french cuisine!

I posted my review.

phreezee
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
When I was there I was driving around looking for Richmond Sushi on friends' recommendations, I had to stop and ask for directions. This young asian couple actually put said Richmond Sushi was gross and suggested Top Gun Sushi over Richmond. So we took the advice to heart since the locals would know better. We went and were not disappointed at all. The wild salmon there was awesome, but the oyster motoyaki wasn't that great.

asuth077
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I enjoye Cin Cins as well.

http://www.cincin.net/cincin/

davechoi1973
04-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Stepho was really great greek resturant...

I wanna go there again..

bluetek
04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

I posted my review.

Ah cheers! I'll have a look at it.

89coupe
04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by asuth077
I enjoye Cin Cins as well.

http://www.cincin.net/cincin/

Whenever we are in Van we make a point of having lunch at Cin Cins.

Love sitting on the balcony above Robson Street sipping on a glass of wine.

googe
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
stephos is good.

check out lolitas on davie. its mexican food that i dont think even exists in calgary. i thought i didnt really like mexican food until i went there :thumbsup:

C4S
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Basically ANYTHING !!!

All kind of foods are better and cheaper then Calgary! downtown .. 4 street .. W boardway ..

If you like chinese food .. anywhere you go .. 10 times better then Calgary .. and ~ 1/2 the price!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Strider
04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Basically ANYTHING !!!

All kind of foods are better and cheaper then Calgary! downtown .. 4 street .. W boardway ..

If you like chinese food .. anywhere you go .. 10 times better then Calgary .. and ~ 1/2 the price!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed...
I go to Vancouver once per year, and the food is always so good. I plan on where to eat before I plan on things to do.

Eating at the richmond night market is pretty cool too if you're there at the right time of the year.

300rwhp
05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
check out the following website for current places to go in vancouver. www.urbandiner.ca Lumiere is nowhere near a best dining in the world experience.

West is just as good as lumiere.
Salt is pretty neat if you like sliced meat and cheese with good wines to match.
Guu's are great, so is hapa izakaya
Tojos has a new space and he spent 8 million so ambience may no longer be a concern. But really it is about food isnt it.
Blue water is great, so is Hamilton street grill. Rare and gastropod do some interesting things.

89coupe
05-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
check out the following website for current places to go in vancouver. www.urbandiner.ca Lumiere is nowhere near a best dining in the world experience.

West is just as good as lumiere.
Salt is pretty neat if you like sliced meat and cheese with good wines to match.
Guu's are great, so is hapa izakaya
Tojos has a new space and he spent 8 million so ambience may no longer be a concern. But really it is about food isnt it.
Blue water is great, so is Hamilton street grill. Rare and gastropod do some interesting things.

West, Blue Water & Cin Cin are all owned by the same people. I've ate at all three and good they are but not even close to Lumiere's

I will have to check out Tojo's new location. They must have clued in that people were rather choked at paying premium prices for a place that felt like your average walk in restaurant...LOL.

jdmakkord
05-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by davechoi1973
Stepho was really great greek resturant...

I wanna go there again..

Stephos is great for large portion, but the food is bland! I was not impressed at all with the flavor, or the service there. After seeing a lineup out the door, I expected so much better.

300rwhp
05-25-2007, 01:08 PM
why do you like lumiere so much . I have eaten there 12 times in the last two years. As well as sitting at the bar numerous eveings. I was friends with the old foh manager, bar tender, sommelier. They along with the sous chef have all left. It is good but not amazing especially in comparison to many of the worlds restaurants. It doesnt even get a showing in restaurant magazines top 50 in the world lists ever.

yes blue water et all are owned by jack evensral but they do a good ocnsistent product. tojos is about great japanese cuisne specifically sushi. But many people do not reconize quality so ambience is used to justify price.

ZorroAMG
05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
yeah off topic but a comment to 89 coupe on his old review:

I agree with E36 in that 89coupe's experience was the best to HIM, kinda hard though when you haven't eaten at all the OTHER "best" restaurants in the world to claim that Lumiere is the best, no?

I have been to Nobu in the Hard Rock (April 06, Xmas 06) and it is by far one of my favorite experiences, slightly better than my experience at Nobu in NYC (March 06).

I love the food, ambiance and the fact that you have 4 waiters circling your table...you would be hard pressed to find better service anywhere.

That being said, yes Lumiere is excellent, the best though?...Not in my opinion either...I'd still do Nobu.

For OTHER suggestions in Vancouver:

SIP on Granville (between Davie and Helmcken) is AMAZING for a lounge with great atmosphere and great food. It's not super high-end and the price reflects that but the food is delicious.

Glowbal is also worth checking out, as is Sanafir.

89coupe
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
why do you like lumiere so much . I have eaten there 12 times in the last two years. As well as sitting at the bar numerous eveings. I was friends with the old foh manager, bar tender, sommelier. They along with the sous chef have all left. It is good but not amazing especially in comparison to many of the worlds restaurants. It doesnt even get a showing in restaurant magazines top 50 in the world lists ever.

yes blue water et all are owned by jack evensral but they do a good ocnsistent product. tojos is about great japanese cuisne specifically sushi. But many people do not reconize quality so ambience is used to justify price.

Why is Lumiere my favorite choice to date. Food #1, incredible detail to taste, presentation & timing. Knowledge, each of the three people tending us were fully educated in the dishes being served, explained what they were & how to enjoy them. The wine server was incredibly knowledgable with choices and everything was perfectly timed. I've yet to experience anything like that yet. Of course I can only base this against the other restaurants I have been to. So like Zorro said, this is my interpretation. This was also only the 3rd place I have been to with a set menu that is served over a period of 2-3hrs. If I'm going to drop $600 on a meal this is the only way to go IMO.

As for comparing Nobu to Lumiere's well you can't. Two completely different offerings.

A place I would love to try in the near future is Rain in Toronto.

Zorro if you love sushi try Sushi Roku in the Forum Shops in Vegas. Awesome! http://www.sushiroku.com/

dragonone
07-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Guu!!!

hampstor
08-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I had some really good chinese at the Fisherman's Terrace in Aberdeen mall (3rd floor) in Richmond. They serve King Crab there!

There are tons of good chinese/japanese restaurants on alexandra in Richmond :)