PDA

View Full Version : Report to Police

cressida_pimpin
04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Can people call in and report a driver to the police resulting in the driver getting a ticket?

teggypimp95
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes, but usually you get a warning or 2. But i guess depends what the ticket is for.

lilmira
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Most likely no.

teggypimp95
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
You wanna tell us what happened?

cressida_pimpin
04-09-2007, 03:08 PM
So someone can't call in and complain to the cops, giving them a license plate # then the cops give someone a ticket. Do the cops have to actually BE there? I've heard mixed stories

Kaos
04-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Well I could go to the police and say you were driving like a maniac and they have no proof.
So most likely, no.

lilmira
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
It's very hard to write a ticket based on just the words of yours unless you have other means of proof. Otherwise it would be pretty chaotic. Imagine the people who don't like you can just make up some stories and report it to the police causing you a ticket, that doesn't work does it?

However, you can always report dangerous driver to the police. They will keep an eye out.

rage2
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
They write tickets like that all the time. I've gotten 2 in the last 10 years.

Call, explain all details, they'll ask if u want to appear in court, say yes, and they'll ticket the guy.

kenny
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Call, explain all details, they'll ask if u want to appear in court, say yes, and they'll ticket the guy.

And I got one courtesy of some jackass borrowing my car to goto Edmonton :rofl:

lilmira
04-09-2007, 03:21 PM

haha, that's interesting. so did you end up facing them in court?

rage2
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by kenny
And I got one courtesy of some jackass borrowing my car to goto Edmonton :rofl:
Fuck off, I paid for it, and it's 1/2 from my total! :rofl:

Originally posted by lilmira
haha, that's interesting. so did you end up facing them in court?

$400 wasn't worth my time going to court for 3 hrs. I just paid it, it's a registered owner ticket.

BlueGoblin
04-09-2007, 03:24 PM
There was a thread on this before:

Basically, yes, a ticket can be issued if a person makes a complaint to police.

No, it doesn't happen too often.

No, not usually for speeding, because unless the witness has a radar/laser, they are not trained in speed estimation.

Yes, it can be for stunting.

Yes, they will have to testify in court as to what you did.

No, if you threaten them, you will be arrested and be in more trouble than a ticket.

No, it will probably be a 'registered owner' ticket (no demerits) unless they can for sure identify you.

Yes, a person's testimony can count for 'proof' in court. It will be up to the Traffic Court Commisioner to decide whose evidence, if anyones, is more credible.

lilmira
04-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Fuck off, I paid for it, and it's 1/2 from my total! :rofl:

$400 wasn't worth my time going to court for 3 hrs. I just paid it, it's a registered owner ticket.

I would use my sick day :D

cressida_pimpin
04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
so the person making the complaint has to appear in court? hmm just some guy got mad at me yesterday on deerfoot and "mad" is simply saying it.

Mr_ET
04-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Got a ticket once for turning into a street in a quiet neighborhood and my tires squeeled because I turned at the last second. (wasn't [aying attention and almost missed the street).

My friends neighbor was in his driveway and both his kids were playing outside. Their house was about 500m from where I turned and I wasn't going fast or anything. I must have been going 10km/h when I passed his kids cause I was turning in the driveway right next to his.

He started going crazy and screamed at me and my friends and I calmly explained the tires just made noise because I had to turn fast. He called the police with my plate, they gave me a ticket, I pleaded not guilty and we both showed up to court 2-3 months later.

I took some pics, had some friends that were in the car explaining what happened and even with his lawyer representing him, I owned him and had him pay my court fees:rofl:

If your story holds up fight it, if not pay the ticket.

cressida_pimpin
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
what kind of a loser goes out of his way to go to court and is still that mad 2-3 months later to attend?

The guy has no proof, he was by himself. My friend was following me so he could back me up

Mr_ET
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Then you are golden!

Make sure you both have the same story

BlueGoblin
04-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I took some pics, had some friends that were in the car explaining what happened and even with his lawyer representing him, I owned him and had him pay my court fees:rofl:

If your story holds up fight it, if not pay the ticket.

The first part of your post might be true, but this part is a 'fat kid story'..

only Civil court works that way; Criminal and Quasi-Criminal (Traffic Court) does not.

spikerS
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
I came in from Cochrane to Calgary one day, and ended up behind a possible drunk driver. guy was all over the road and coulnd not maintain a constant speed. called the cops, and they had 4 CPS vehicles waiting at stoney trail. drove by again and the car was being towed....

Mr_ET
04-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin

The first part of your post might be true, but this part is a 'fat kid story'..

only Civil court works that way; Criminal and Quasi-Criminal (Traffic Court) does not.

Maybe things are different here but everything I just said about my story is 100% true. I lived in Quebec city at the time and had to go to court in Montreal.

I also don't look, act or talk like a punk. I am well educated and the guy did not present himself very well.

These are all factors that probably helped my cause.

I think as long as you present your case well and your story stands up the case will be dismissed.

BlueGoblin
04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
I apologise - that was my mistake; I had totally forgotten that Quebec has a different legal system (more like a Civil System)than everywhere else in Canada. I had responded assuming that you had been in Alberta (or anywhere in Canada other than La Belle Province).

My Bad.

Toms-SC
04-09-2007, 09:47 PM
266-1234

I've got it on speed dial. :thumbsup:

snowboard
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
Can people call in and report a driver to the police resulting in the driver getting a ticket?

im calling you in.

Supa Dexta
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes you can call and complain, and they will look into it, however they will ask you right up front if you will go to court to back up your claim, before they look into it (depending on how severe I suppose)... Thats where most say fuck it'.....