PDA

View Full Version : passport?

Troy
04-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Anyone know how long they are taking now to send out passports? Also do I need a passport to goto Mexico if I am only stopping in the states?

arian_ma
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
About 2 weeks for the passport.
I am pretty sure you need a passport.

Ven
04-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Took a couple weeks for it to arrive.

teggypimp95
04-10-2007, 08:50 AM
You need one to fly out of canada. Doesent matter where your going, if your taking a plane and leaving the country you need one. Average time is around 6 weeks at the moment.

Euro838
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes, it takes 6 weeks if you go through the normal process. If you have an itinerary already booked and show them this, you can have it done locally and it will be ready in 2 weeks. It costs $10 extra.

jus_sum_guy
04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
You need one to fly out of canada. Doesent matter where your going, if your taking a plane and leaving the country you need one.

Don't know where your getting your information from....

You will need a passport if you're stopping in the States. If you can get a direct flight to Mexico, you won't need one

Kamen
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
I sent my application in January 15 and it still hasn't come. Their website says it may take up to 10 weeks.
This is bullshit I need to call them.

teggypimp95
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

Don't know where your getting your information from....

You will need a passport if you're stopping in the States. If you can get a direct flight to Mexico, you won't need one

Your still crossing the canadian border. I was told this by the passport office.

cherpintow
04-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Your still crossing the canadian border. I was told this by the passport office.

Its not true. I'm going to mexico non-stop and was told I don't need one because Mexico doesn't require it. I went this morning and got mine just in case there are any unforseen stops in the States. The person at the till said about 4 weeks wait but it sounds like its about half that time in reality.

msommers
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

This is 100% accurate and my parents can testify to it. Just bring a driver's license and your birth certificate.

garyb
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM

nope, wrong. i went to mexico and only needed drivers license and birth cert.

Ven
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
I should mention mine came in 2 weeks, after standing in line for a couple hours downtown. Regular submissions take quite a bit longer.

teggypimp95
04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
MMM than this chick dident know what she was talking about then lol. Just get a passport anyways. Always good to have just incase.

$lick_rYz
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
i applied on March 6 and got in the mail on March 26 so it took exactly 20 days for mine to arrive

ddmmak
04-10-2007, 01:20 PM
I applied a few weeks ago but paid an extra $10 to pick the passport up in 10 days. I then picked it up last friday.

accordboi_02
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Took mine a month to get to me, I dropped it off in person at the Shaunessey location.

gp36912
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
I sent my application in January 15 and it still hasn't come. Their website says it may take up to 10 weeks.
This is bullshit I need to call them.

sister dropped hers off downtown and it came in 3 weeks time. everyones worried about it takeing forever but theres not that big of a backup.

Hakkola
04-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Sorry to hijack, I didn't want to make another thread. I have dual citizenship, so I have two passports. Is there anything wrong with carrying 2 passports around? I think it could look suspicious, but is there any law against it?

patrickj
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
it depends on where you dropped your application off, a friend of mine dropped hers off at the downtown location then i dropped mine off at the south location the day after, and she got hers before me. as for mine it took almost a month to arrive.

barbarian
04-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Sorry to hijack, I didn't want to make another thread. I have dual citizenship, so I have two passports. Is there anything wrong with carrying 2 passports around? I think it could look suspicious, but is there any law against it?

Normally when you enter one of your home countries, you must present that passport. For any other countries, you could take either one.

Some countries have laws on this--for example, you can be fined if you are a US citizen but do not identify as such while entering the US.

Hakkola
04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

Normally when you enter one of your home countries, you must present that passport. For any other countries, you could take either one.

Some countries have laws on this--for example, you can be fined if you are a US citizen but do not identify as such while entering the US.

My question is more in regards to going to Europe, in the EU my Finnish passport should be of benefit to me, however if I want to go to Russia it might be better to use my Canadian passport. If I'm searched for example, (in any country), and I have two passports on me I'm wondering if that would create any problems.