PDA

View Full Version : Installing Hardwood Questions

gran turismo
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I purchased some hardwood I'll be installing in a few weeks. Originally I planned on installing it the length of the longest wall in my living room. I've realized that doing so would be parallel with the floor joists. Everywhere I've read recommends that you need to install the floor perpendicular to the joists. But, I spoke with someone at Rona and he said that if your subfloor is at least an inch thick, you can lay the floor parallel with the joists.

I can't seem to deny or confirm this with anyone else since I don't know anyone who's installed hardwood before. Can anyone provide some concrete answers?

My second question is installation of the hardwood on the stairs. I have a good understanding of how to go about this but would feel more comfortable getting advice/tips from someone who's actually done it. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for installation on stairs?

Scottie403
04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
you want to installt he wodd across the joist. cause if you dont what will happen is that over time the floor with sag, leaving you with wavy floor. As for the stairs it is quite simple, you will need to glue the board down using a construction adhesive <pl3000> as well as staple them. if youhave anymore questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Also, make sure you have the correct stair nosing for your hardwood, it's usually colour-matched.

Euro838
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Before you install, you may want to go and check a clinic at Totem or something. I think they hold these every so often and they are free. You can go an ask all the questions you want and even try out installing some hardwood. There is some useful information you get out of it and I'm sure if you brought in a diagram of your house, they'd be able to tell you how to start and end your project.