PDA

View Full Version : Experiences owning a Corrado?

natejj
04-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Looking at buying a Corrado.... from what I have heard so far, they are absolute cash cows.... If I spent about 6-8k on the car itself, what can i expect to break down? I am looking at a G60, not the VR6 right now.

Looking for anyone who has ever owned one, to comment on how much they spent annually on regular repairs/maintenance/how hard parts are to find... thanks.

sputnik
04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
If you are going to buy a G60 just make sure the supercharger has been recently rebuilt or replaced they are usually the first thing to blow up and cost you.

bennyhanna
04-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Had one

1990 G60, with a Stage 4 Autothourity kit, and it was a blast to drive.

maintenance should include,
$$ for a S/C rebuild at some point,
and $$$ for electrical issues.

Your Almost better off looking for a low mileage VR6, only because the $$ that you will spend on maintenance will offset the upfront costs.

I know of a Mint VR6 Corrado, 88,000 kms.....pm me if you want details. (Its Currently in BC)

Speed_RaSiR
04-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by natejj
Looking at buying a Corrado.... from what I have heard so far, they are absolute cash cows.... If I spent about 6-8k on the car itself, what can i expect to break down? I am looking at a G60, not the VR6 right now.

Looking for anyone who has ever owned one, to comment on how much they spent annually on regular repairs/maintenance/how hard parts are to find... thanks.

I had a VR6 and the repairs cost so much I had to sell it. These cars are a POS.

finboy
04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
its vw, just don't do it, trust me

Euro_Trash
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
If you are saving for a car, a Corrado is not what you want. You pretty much need a second account for repairs. I never drove my Corrado super hard, never drag raced it or anything, and I had to rebuild the supercharger twice (both through KK who are a VERY reputable shop, so I know it wasn;t a shady rebuild the first time)

Save the money for a VR6. They are more reliable, just make sure the timing chains are done, and if you plan on modding it then you will need another bank account. VR6 upgrades are much more expensive than the G60, which I am guessing is why you are going with the G60

check out www.corrado-club.ca

natejj
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Seeing as my pockets arent THAT deep yet, think I am going to go for something a bit more cheaper for now... maybe a Talon or a golf or a GTI...

Thanks for the input!!

finboy
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Seeing as my pockets arent THAT deep yet, think I am going to go for something a bit more cheaper for now... maybe a Talon or a golf or a GTI...

Thanks for the input!!

talon golf and gti are still all pain in the ass options.

i've owned 2 jetta's, both ran great...when they ran
i've had lots of other friends with vw's, all had nightmare stories, and talon's....well....no personal stories myself but stories from friends make me cringe.

msommers
04-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure how VW got the reliablility stamp from so many people but never again will I be going down that road. I'd rather take the bus than drive another VW, even if it is a wolfsburg. The only reliable VWs I know of are the diesels as they are super simple engines and really, nothing can go wrong unless it's catastrophic.

spikerS
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
VW got thier reliability tag from the diesels thru the early to late 80's, even as late as '93.

friend of mine had a '84 jetta with the diesel in it. it is still running today with over 790,000kms on it. with a grand total of 9 oil changes. the body is falling appart, but still runs!

tictactoe2004
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I've owned an 83 GTI, 91 GTI, 93 Jetta and 2001 GTI.. I wouldnt save i've driven any of them "hard" since thats what the mustang is for.. I have never been left stranded by any of them, had no major repairs, biggest was CV joints on the 91 GTI at about 300K. just standard brakes, tires, tune ups, blah blah blah.. the 91 still had the original clutch in it at 325K. I've had a GTI as a daily driver for the last 10 years.. I'd buy another one in a heart beat. VW has always been reliable to me.

natejj
04-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm just more confused now.....need to research more on VW's in general.... been getting a lot of reports on how some people wont touch VW's with a 10 foot pole, and others swear by them.... I guess it's hit and miss?

QuasarCav
04-12-2007, 08:40 AM
VW owners are a special breed. Like most enthusiasts they will swear by their specific brand and play down some of the more major faults, if you want an example just look at DSM owners!

KK07
04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm just more confused now.....need to research more on VW's in general.... been getting a lot of reports on how some people wont touch VW's with a 10 foot pole, and others swear by them.... I guess it's hit and miss?

That happens with every type of car though doesn't it? I hate my Grand Am and everything about it, it's supposed to be unreliable but hasn't let me down yet and it was perfect for me to drive while I was going to school.